What would you give Slaanesh?

Squirrelmaster

18 hours ago, Tasman said:

Since we're just daydreaming here, I'd like to see some, just a few mind you, units of Dark Elves being made available to take as allies.... representing the old secret Slaanesh worshipping cults. A nod to the old fluff. Plus it would give me a reason to take them off the shelf again. Haven't really used them since they "buried the hatchet" and joined their foe-cousins in the world of Order....¬¬

I DO use witch elves and sisters as daemonettes when I'm running big units in big games, but it would be cool to have them with their own rules which, if I'm not mistaken, would fit in really well with Slaanesh.

Exactly this, I feel like this is such an obvious choice for GW to bring back "cult of slaanesh" and have it be the mortal side of the slaanesh battletome. It would make it distinctly different than the other god mortal followers. Maybe even have Morathi make a return in AoS.

I'd also like to see them fire the current sculptor who did the daemon line and hire Juan Diaz back to do a new line of daemons.

I think Slaanesh desperately need more variety in their daemon units. As others have mentioned they have about the same number of different daemon units as other gods, but they are really the only god that lack diversity of role. Basically, all Slaanesh daemons are some variation of: "Move fast and hit with lots of low Str attacks". Thus they cover very few battlefield roles. Meanwhile, the other gods have a decent variety. Bloodletters are very different from Juggers which are very different than skull cannons. Or Flamers are very different from Horrors which are very different from screamers. Even "slow and tanky" nurgle gets a faster moving flying unit.  I'd like to see Slaanesh daemons get similar treatment. A diversity of battlefield roles to make the army less one dimensional.

Some great ideas here. I have to admit that, after "new plastic Keeper of Secrets model", "more tactical variety" would be my priority. Right now, Slaanesh is the only of the four main gods with no flyers of their own, and no ranged units either. I can see something like Daemonettes with shortbows working, or some new mobile war-machine/chariot hybrid. Something throwing vials of drugged smoke or barbed nets could work well, too — maybe a ranged attack that carries a debuff effect?

I'm not sure what I'd do for flyers. Winged Daemonettes, I guess. Or maybe flying snakes. Or something just plain bizarre, like a giant floating jellyfish-daemon. Actually, butterfly wings. I don't know what GW can do with transparent plastic these days, whether they could add colour or whether glazes would work on them. Or maybe they could do a clear primer. Honestly though even if it was opaque plastic I think butterfly or moth inspired wings could be really interesting.

Shadowy teleporting assassins could work, too.

I'd like to see more named characters, maybe some battalions — perhaps one that allows Hellflayers to buff nearby units, to make their role a bit different from regular chariots.

We could do with a better anti-armour unit as well — something that hits with at least rend -2, maybe mortal wounds. Slaanesh armies dish out a lot of rend -1 but nothing stronger right now.

And, yeah, plastic boobsnakes. Maybe ridden, maybe not. Maybe they could tunnel? Heavy cav with a special deployment option would set them aside from the fiends and chariots. Actually, how about a dragon-sized snake monster? That would be fun.

Thematically, I feel like a blend of snakes, fish, and insects could work.

Just some thoughts.

One thing I was hoping they would do in GHB2017 was integrate the other Skaven clans into the original 4. Nurgle has Pestilens, Slaanesh could get Eshin (Moulder to Khorne, Skryre to Tzeentch). Lightning fast assassins, trained to perfection and wielding hallucinagenic poisons. Sounds perfect! Might still be a personal hobby project for me...

Anyways, Plastic Keeper and fiend is all I really expect, as the allegiance ability from GHB17 seems to hold us over for....a while. If Fulgrim shows up in 40k, I'd say Slaanesh will get something. Of course, we said the same with Death Guard, though Blight War isn't NOTHING...

On 15/11/2017 at 9:47 PM, MOMUS said:

Why would you give one God the abilities and units types of another? Keep them unique and different.

"Unique and different" isn't fun if it's just a list of things everyone else gets and you don't. It also needs to include things you have that others don't, or things you have a different version of.

Ideally I think every army should have about the same level of variety, which means for every option some other army has and you don't, there should be something of roughly equal value that you have and they don't.

There's also different degrees of uniqueness — for example, Khorne's main flyers are Bloodthirsters. Nurgle's are Plague Drones. Both are flyers, and predominantly melee based, yet they are still very different units. A certain amount of commonality between the different armies is expected and good. Every army has characters. Every army has some melee ability, even if shooting is preferred. Every army can move about, somehow. The more an army ignores all the existing expectations of what an army is, the more likely it is to just be unbalanced and not fun. Take the balewind vortex as an example — it annoys people, not so much because it's strong, but because it completely negates melee units, and is the only thing in the game to do so. It re-shapes the entire meta-game around it. It's too unique.

I don't want Slaanesh to just get functional clones of Bloodthirsters, Plague Drones, or any other existing units — I want Slaanesh to get their own flyers that are different from any of the other flyers that the other gods have, or even a completely different unit that makes up for the lack of flyers by filling a similar role. Likewise, I don't want to just see a Skullcannon painted in Slaanesh colours, I want Slaanesh to provide a unique and different take on "shooty" units.

Right now, all three of the other gods have flyers, Slaanesh doesn't. The others all have some form of shooting, Slaanesh doesn't. The others all have anti-armour, Slaanesh doesn't. The others all have their own cultists, Slaanesh doesn't. None of those things mean that the other three gods are all the same, but all of those things make Slaanesh armies a bit more boring to play.

I'd say the only thing Slaanesh currently has that really no-one else has is seekers, but insanely fast movement isn't very useful when you're fragile in melee and have no shooting, especially when so many other armies can flat-out teleport, deep strike, or summon.

Over in 40k, Slannesh was born of the Eldar, and to that end I wouldn't mind if the idea of Slannesh as a chaos god of the elves was pushed harder. Integrating human and elf units would be good for mortal unit variety, and could inform the slenderness and grace future greater demons of Slannesh should possess. 

Aelves as the mortals would be a good start. If dreams were true though i would want a complete model overhaul to remove daemomettes and the 'sexy' aspect of slaanesh; there is still lots that can be done with a god of decadence, emotion, egoism, and moral corruption. Bring models following on the lines of Sigvald with aesthetic perfection, following a power-hungry and self obsessed leader. Daemons not sure about, maybe a mix of shadowy, evil predators with beings of wonder a la Ctan from 40k. 

On 11/19/2017 at 9:04 AM, Oggthrok said:

Over in 40k, Slannesh was born of the Eldar, and to that end I wouldn't mind if the idea of Slannesh as a chaos god of the elves was pushed harder. Integrating human and elf units would be good for mortal unit variety, and could inform the slenderness and grace future greater demons of Slannesh should possess. 

I agree.  This was touched on in End Times and I would like to see Slaanesh with an chaos Aelf addition.

Archived