Ongoing Friendly Tournament Idea...

Mr. White

I'm looking for a little feedback as I've only got two games under my belt at the moment.

It's looking like I'll be playing Shadespire on a bi-weekly basis for a bit. The participants will be myself, my son, a buddy, and his boys. So ages 8 to 45.

What I'm thinking about doing is getting a plastic toy weapon of some sort to act as a session trophy. We'll play 3-4 games in an evening and the winner of the evening is awarded this weapon. (The Shard-Sword or Shard-Axe if you will). It will serve as sort of a championship belt to boast about defending. The next session that player will have the blade during the games and may still  end up the evening's winner...or pass it on to the newly crowned champ.

However, I'd like to give a little boost to the current champion. Something like, the current wielder of the Shade-Axe can re-roll their dice one time in each game. I dunno. Something small to make winning the blade worthwhile in-game, but obviously not a game breaker. This little boost also sort of goes with the real world concept that being the champion tends have its advantages (favored scoring by judges and such). To be the man, you've got to _beat_ the man!

Anyway, does this sound game breaking? Any other suggestions on how we could reward our champion?

I think this sounds cool enough as is, what you could also do is make a throne-like hex for the winner, use it as a Shardfall token count-ass and have it on board during deployment.

You can really do a lot of cool things with all the tokens and cards involved, go for it!

Another thought in keeping the game friendly in the long term. How feasible would it be to have the players be able to use the warband specific cards from their warband expansion, but _only_ the neutral cards from the base box. That is, no neutral cards from expansions in use.

This seems like it would help everyone stay 'on the level' and we don't end up in a situation where we all have to buy all the warbands to keep up with the card pool arms race...

Whatever all involved agree upon works! But ill say that right now I think the game is to young to have any restrictions put to it.

This is after all a game whose entire point is about maximising the efficiency of your decks, putting restrictions to this could feel like removing an important part of the game. Even casual Shadespire is about winning, after all :)

As for a "winner" trophy I have another suggestions!

Buy a single model, an AoS Stormcast hero or whatever model you enjoy! Assemble it and glue it to something fancy, a hero base or something big, high and bulky!

Then spray the entire thing in gold!

Paint that toy sword up in full warhammer glory! :D 

Loving your idea! :)

As for house rules... Perhaps create a custom ploy card that the champion can keep? Something along the lines of "Champions Trophy. Reaction: If you lose the game give this card to the winning opponent."

Archived