Beginning AoS skirmish - Full steam ahead on the Warbands

GuitaRasmus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are all great.:) As a fellow Tzeentch player my favourite is the Tzeentch troll (are the mouths on his chest from horrors?). Anyway, Im trying to organize a kind of warband multiplayer battle, but all completly converted and with loads of backstory (a bit like the Pilgrym) and it would be really cool if you joined in. Let me know if you do.

Keep up the great work (epeccially more Tzeentch)!

Fatemaster and Curseling

Hi guys - small update today; I was originally convinced that I should have a Curseling as my Tzeentchian warband leader, but during the last few days I got an idea that I had to try out - a Fatemaster on Disc conversion, based on the Stormcast on Dracoth leaders torso and a couple of Retributor legs.

I'm kinda torn between these two - which is the coolest, what should I use? They're obviously more like sketches at the moment, the Fatemaster needs some more Tzeentchian detailing, and the curselings helmet is giving me a bit of grief - I'm not sure what bit to use - but I'd still like your opinions.
curselingwip.jpg

fatemasterwip.jpg

If you're only doing one of these, then I'd back the Curseling. It looks incredibly cool and I've not seen anyone do anything like it, while I feel like I have seen people attempt similar to the Fatemaster. 

At the end of the day, they're both very cool - as with all of your conversions - but the Curseling shades it for me on originality.

Thanks a lot, man! While likes are fine and all that, I really would wish more people would care to write a line or two - like you just did. It inspired me so much, that I just completely burned out my back for tonight, working on the Curseling; I really like where he's going. Unfortunately the crab claw had to go, since I couldn't get the flail to sit right with it, and it was to big to wield the sword, but I actually think the flow of this version works better. I also ended up cutting the crown of the Fatemasters head, since I think this head works great as the curseling - I'll have to find another head for the Fatemaster, which is easier, since the head dress won't obscure the Summoner. Anyway, I present to you the humble beginnings of Khezaon Nethergaze, curseling of Tzeentch:

curselingwip2.jpg

I love both of these conversions, and I hope you finish the Fatemaster as well. Mind sharing what pieces you're using?

As for the Curseling, are you planning to make any further alterations to the Gaunt Summoner part? I feel like he's a bit too... recognisable right now, and too big of a focus point on the model. Some modifications to the head, maybe getting rid of the whole strange headpiece/eyes part and leaving the eyeless "core" part might do it?

Looks pretty good to me!

It would be nice to get a shot of the back/side, so we can see the section where the curseling connects to the warrior. On the original model his whole left arm is unarmoured and part of the curseling, but I don't know how you plan to create the connection between the two?

By the way, are you considering a feather-spine on the curseling? I like that part of the original model.

9 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

That is insane. I love the lore behind the Storm vermin as well, any updates there?

Thanks - insane seems fitting for Tzeentchians. ;)  No, I'm waiting for the release of the Shadespire Skavens before I go to town on the Skaven warband. It'll be a Warlock, the Stormfiend, a Rat Ogor, a night runner and some clanrats. Very small, elite and un-skavenlike. 

8 hours ago, Swooper said:

I love both of these conversions, and I hope you finish the Fatemaster as well. Mind sharing what pieces you're using?

As for the Curseling, are you planning to make any further alterations to the Gaunt Summoner part? I feel like he's a bit too... recognisable right now, and too big of a focus point on the model. Some modifications to the head, maybe getting rid of the whole strange headpiece/eyes part and leaving the eyeless "core" part might do it?

Thanks! I think I'll finish the Fatemaster as well - both the Curseling and Fatemaster have some interesting playstyles, and it'll be fun to try both out. The Fatemaster is made from the Stormcast Dracoth rider torso and cape, Retributor legs, a spear from the Skullcrushers, disc from Tzaangors, arms from Pink Horrors and the head from a Varanguard. 

I know what you mean about the Gaunt Summoner - I just really like his headdress and have wanted to paint his eyes since it was first released, so I'm partial to letting it stay. 

22 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Looks pretty good to me!

It would be nice to get a shot of the back/side, so we can see the section where the curseling connects to the warrior. On the original model his whole left arm is unarmoured and part of the curseling, but I don't know how you plan to create the connection between the two?

By the way, are you considering a feather-spine on the curseling? I like that part of the original model.

Ah, you're onto me - to be honest, I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do to blend them together. At the moment the summoner is just sitting on the shoulder pad, but I'm thinking of using his feather loincloth to hide the seem on the back - and perhaps sculpt some armour on the front. 

20 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

By the way, just a stray thoughts - Could the curseling hold the warrior by the horn, to "steer" him and have him bend over forward to sort of whisper into his ear? :-)

Not a bad idea at all, only trouble is that I'm kinda locked on his pose, since the arms are so spindly that they're very difficult to pin or find replacements for. TBH, I found it sort of weird that the original is whispering to his "mount" since the background pretty much describes the bigger brother as more or less an automaton, controlled by Vilitch. I have some background ideas for this guy, Khezaon Nethergaze, with the pair being much more evenly matched as far as intellect goes. 

• 3 weeks later...

What's this then... Scenery? 

I hope you've all had a happy new years eve, and gotten a good start on 2018. :)

I've been really busy on the wargaming front, but there's little to no progress on the warbands though - for the past two weeks I've been mainly focused on developing and playtesting the AoS skirmish rules I'm working on ( http://aos28warband.blogspot.com - please check them out) and getting a wargaming table and terrain done for the man cave at Casa De GuitaRasmus. 

I've always really liked the Warhammer terrain GW made about 5-6 years ago, but at that time I was only messing with 40k, so I didn't buy any. Fast forward to Age of Sigmar, where GW, for reasons unknown, decided to stop producing some of their coolest stuff - and the prices on ebay are atrocious. 

Still, I've managed to get my dirty mittens on some different stuff on various used warhammer stuff channels, facebook groups, etc. for reasonable money, and I've gotten my hands dirty (literally - there's SO much paint on these houses, compared to miniatures) stripping them of paint. 

I've got a watchtower and another chapel still in the stripper, but I'm working towards getting some cool stuff: 

collection.jpg

The Temple of Skulls is from an old project, an Armies on Parade board for my Khorne Berzerker army that never got done, and it had been saved apart, so I had to painstakingly glue it back together, and sculpt a lot of seams - good times. 
mansion.jpg

This is an experiment, I wanted to do a mansion of sorts, but a bit more elaborate than just the fortified manor - so I took another chapel, chucked it on top of a watchtower base, and made the little sentry house a part of the house. I kinda like it, it seems fittingly ramshackle. I still need to make some stairs for the door on the top house, and some kind of walkway around the top house. 

I also really wanted a Skullvane Manse (and a Dreadstone blight as well), but the used kit prices are absolutely insane - 300-350 pounds on ebay - so I had sort of given up on them. Imagine me squeeing with joy, when I saw the Malign Portents video, featuring the Skullvane Manse and the Dreadstone Blight - they're coming back!! I'm definitely getting both. 

*Warning - bitter old painter's rant incoming*

On a side note, it really bugs me when people act like scalpers - for example trying to sell a used Skullvane Manse at grossly inflated prices on ebay. Sure, I get the whole supply and demand thing, but seriously - you are just holding plastic hostage. 

You are the war-games equivalent of the guys who fill their spare rooms with Dinky Toys still preserved in their antique packaging. The people that care are an ever decreasing circle of like minded hoarders who all dream of turning up on Antiques Roadshow with a blister or box that will pay for your dream retirement village.But thats not going to happen. Because GW is re-releasing the kits and you are left with a pipe dream of a wallet full of scalpers money. 

There - that was good to get off my chest. ;)

Picture1.png

table1.jpg

This weekend I put my shop teacher skills to work, and started work on my foldable 5x4' table - the base is done, and it folds neatly in half, though I still need to figure out what to do for legs. I'm also considering making it a 4x3' instead, for size reasons, and because skirmish/kill team battles seem very doable on 3x3'. 

Why the extra feet in width then? It dawned on me that it would be a necessity to have somewhere to put ones warscrolls, dice, slain miniatures etc. 

On 24/1/2018 at 2:14 PM, flemingmma said:

Hot damn that graveguard.... might be mucking around with one of my guys i'm unhappy with now

Thanks! :)

Update: 

nothing too crazy, just wanted to show that my skirmish terrain collection is slowly but steadily growing - I got the Ruins of Osgiliath multipack, which is actually a pretty good value, and you can do some really cool stuff with it, if you cut it up a bit - I'm really liking the ruins, which I hope will be fun to play on.

Next week, Skullvane Manse is up for preorder - yay!

tablewip.jpg

Been working a bit more on the rat warband - it's starting to come together. I think I've solved the issue about the Warlocks claw - I really wanted him to have a mechanical claw, but the first iteration was to orky and big. This is cobbled together from some Dark elf spiky things, and a Kataphron servitor claw. He also got an extra mechanical arm with the warploque pistol, just because:

warlock2.jpg

I also made the second rat ogre for the warband - just a IoB rat ogre, with an extra arm added and another head - and a bit of a repose. I really like those rat ogres, but I wanted to tweak it a bit. I'm also contemplating giving him a warpfire gun and a mechanical claw on the lower left arm, but I'm a bit stumped about what to use for the warpfire gun.

ro1.jpg

And a group shot, also including my gutter runner with a little gas mask:

group1.jpg

So this is where you've been! We missed you at the Bolter and Chainsword :P! Your work in AoS is also very inspiring, the terrain looks cool and the skavens are amazing, the style reminds me of your daemon engines and your old Dark Mechanicus army... However what I've really liked is your Tzeentch warband, it is different to your other work but still mind blowing, would love to see more from you on that line! 

Edit: just saw the first page of the thread, oh my god your death warband is amazing! And the Tzeentch troll is just the best Tzeentch conversion I've ever seen, period. Really really inspiring stuff.

Archived