Stacking Abilities, Mounts and Artefacts, and Abilities - Questions about Dragonlord and Rogue Idol

Blish

Question

Can you please help me find the specific rules that address these few questions? :) 

Question One

Saves from Mystic Shield don't "stack". There's the rule of one that prevents you from casting Mystic Shield twice in a Pitched Battle, but I seem to remember an FAQ about abilities not stacking. I can't find it. Am I imagining things?

What about abilities? Do their benefits stack?

A Dragonlord's Aelven War Horn reads:

Once per game, in your hero phase, a Dragonlord with an Aelven War Horn can blow it to sound the attack. When he does so, all models in Order Draconis unites from your army within 10” of this model when they attack in your next combat phase make one extra attack with each of their melee weapons.

Would a unit of Dragon Blades that are between two Dragonlords who have both blown their horns get two extra attacks with each of their melee weapons?

The Rogue Idol’s Livin’ Idol ability in the Forge World warscroll (not yet updated on the app) reads:

The crackling spiritual power of the Waaagh! is the lifeblood of the idol. Add 1 to casting rolls for friendly Orruk Wizards and Grot Wizards while they are within 16"of this model. In addition, add 1 to the Bravery characteristic of friendly Orruk and Grot units while they are wholly within 16" of this model. However, if a Rogue Idol is slain, subtract 1 from the Bravery characteristic of all friendly Orruk and Grot on the battlefield for the rest of the game.

Would a Wizard between two idols add 2 to casting rolls?

Any answers pointing to specific rules, FAQs or other forum threads would be appreciated.

Question Two

This seems obvious, but I have been questioned on it. Can you help me clarify this with some authority? In GHB2017, the new rule for mounts reads:

Some heroes have a mount, such as a battle steed, a powerful monster that they can ride, or a massive war machine that they can stand upon. In all such cases, any command abilities or magical artefacts can only be used to affect attacks made by the hero, and have no effect on attacks made by their mount unless specifically stated otherwise.

What is a “magical artefact”? As the rule appears in the Choosing Your Allegiance section of the book, I assume a “magical artefact” is an Artefact of Power. A Dragonlord’s Aelven War Horn is listed as an ability on a Warscroll. This ability should affect mounts, despite the above new rule, right?

Question Three
And , speaking of abilities and continuing with the Dragonlord theme: Dragonfire is an ability that reads:

A Dragon can unleash a blast of Dragonfire in your shooting phase. When it does so, pick a visible unit within…

The rules for running read:

A unit that runs can’t shoot or charge later that turn.

Can a Dragonlord use Dragonfire after running? Is an ability used in the shooting phase affected by the running rule as a missile weapon is?

EDIT: Resolved this one with a search. http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/12467-can-a-dragon-run-and-use-breath-weapon/

These are all questions I have resolved with friends I play against using our personal interpretations of rules, but I'd like to start playing with strangers at tournaments and would appreciate help getting rules right. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

1. Yes.

It's all models that are near that unit that has used that ability, not if they are near model than has used that ability.

2. Right. 

A magical artefact is an equipment that you've given to a hero from your army/grand alliance's table. Some abilities have flavor and fluff to make them sound like artefacts, but mechanically they are abilities. The only two things that specifically do not affect mounts are artefacts of power and command traits. Spells, command abilities, aelven war horn are fair game.

Edit: Saves from mystic shield do stack, you just can't attempt to cast the spell more than once per turn in a pitched battle.

"Q: Are the effects of multiple duplicate spells and abilities stackable against the target?

A: Yes, unless specifically stated otherwise."

What you remember about things not stacking is a grammar minutia reminder about the difference between "any" and "for each", which doesn't apply here.

Saves from mystic shield do stack, you just can't attempt to cast the spell more than once in a pitched battle.

This Rule of One applies to a turn, not a Battleround, which means the Curseling can cast another Mystic Shield if he unbinds it in the opponent’s turn. I managed to pull this off and got a 2+rerolling Chicken - then 10 Pigs did an off the charts 12 mortal wounds in one turn (6s to wound)....

Archived