Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Attackmack

WIP - Shadespire custom board

10 posts in this topic

Attackmack    108

Hey all!

Ill throw this thread up as im just getting started and ill see where this goes. Hopefully ill get a decent finished result but we will see :)

In any case ill be trying to make a custom Shadespire board. Having first thought about making them with terrain built into the board ive changed my mind and will now make two "flat" boards and loose bits of terrain so that the various boards can be recreated. In the future, as more boards become availalbe, ill be able to recreate them by simply doing more terrain instead of entire boards! It might not look as good in the end but it will be helluva less work and space consuming!

This is 19mm MDF boards onto which im gluing 2mm MDF hex bases that is 50mm flat to flat. I used bbq sticks as spacers but I recon a thicker kind of wire or thread would make it quicker and simpler, if I had found any!

jKCaNGA.jpg

Beginning in the center of the board and going outwards will make sure I get more then enough excess at the edges for later! The skewers not being perfectly cut did give slight variantion in the spacing between the hexes which I wasnt planning for. Initially it might seem like a nice thing but since the two boards will have to fit perfectly edge to edge all around it might mean some "neutral zone" hexes will look warped. I hope it wont be too visible but we will see later.

xTkGeZD.jpg

Here is the finished board. As you can see, ive left out all the edge and corner hexes. This is so that I can ensure a clean cut along the edges and minimise the visible warp that might come through inconsistency of the spacing. But also, it will make for a more visible overview of what hexes are "out of play" and where the boards align what hexes are "neutral". These edges will instead be markes with debris, gravel or similar.

1RZ90JF.jpg

And a closeup to show the hexes relative to the models!

CJOedep.jpg

It might, and will, be long inbetween updates but as soon as I have progress to show ill put it up here! Questions and feedback as always appreciated!

Now im on yo glue the second board and hopefully cut them to size when I can get around to a saw big enough. 

• Like 10

Attackmack    108

The boards are cut down to size as straight and tight as I can get it and its close enough! In some orientations there is a very slight gap between the boards but its small enough to not cause an issue or even eyesore, if anything it shows the boards are handmade :D

Currently drawing some lines and markings and planning how to layout and texture the boards. Im trying to not get myself into too much work where the project will stall but I do want to cut some lines across the hexes to give the look of tiles and design. I also plan on marking the deployment and terrain hexes in some discreet manner that allows one of these boards to be quickly setup as either side of one of the cardboard originals. Must get back on that one later on though, havent figured it out quite yet.

ru8kSFu.jpg

Edit:

When I was painting my small Stormcast host I created my own bases from clay. Creating them left a lot of excess debris that i kept would i ever find a use for it. And I figure they kind of look like shards...nK2eY0i.jpg

So after messing my table and my fingers up with superglue, I finally got enough to stick where I actually wanted it!

Shardfall!

FLKeSgg.jpg

Edited by Attackmack
  • Like 2

Attackmack    108

Havent started cutting the details into the boards yet, the sound of the dremel will wake the dead so I imagine my neighbouring apartments will spawn a mob with pitchforks and everything :D This weekend ill hopefully get around to it though!

I did get some pieces ive ordered from "Scibor Miniatures" in Poland. They make absolutely fantastic miniatures and these terrain and basing pieces will be perfect for Shadespire! As a sidenote, their range of regular miniatures looks nothing but amazing!

Heres some pics with Angherad at the end to show size comparison!

IXgRgLQ.jpg

NtAvajn.jpg

4gO8IAv.jpg

OsG8qow.jpg

• Like 5

Chris Tomlin    3,000

Great work @Attackmack - what a cool project!!

FYI, I think the quickest and easiest way to sort the spacing of the hexes in future (or for anyone else trying this) would be to use tile spacers. They come in a wide range of sizes and are super cheap.

• Like 1

Attackmack    108
3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Great work @Attackmack - what a cool project!!

FYI, I think the quickest and easiest way to sort the spacing of the hexes in future (or for anyone else trying this) would be to use tile spacers. They come in a wide range of sizes and are super cheap.

Thank you!

Yes ive seen those kind of spacers, and there is also a kind of thick thread that some use when tiling kitchens but I couldnt find it when I needed it and didnt get around to go to town to search the stores so I ended up with what I could find at home :)

But I will absolutely recommend anyone doing something similar to get some very accurate way to distance the hexes, it will make for a much more professional finish when the boards fit together just right :/ 

• Like 1

Attackmack    108

Took the dremel and cut some detail into the boards today! Its cold outside and that makes the garage i worked in fairly cold as well as its radiator isnt doing much but hot coffee, warm clothes and a couple of hours later and im done!

FlPqruU.jpg

Qw1jUWm.jpg

gaW3aZu.jpg

Things are looking good so far but its been rather straightforward. Next is sealing the MDF good and then its on to details and about that time ill start on some terrain pieces as well. Possibly objective markers too If Ive figured out how to do them :)

• Like 5

Attackmack    108

Got it primed and ready for painting! The sand on the board didnt really come out as I had wished for, dunno if I did too much or too little of it. But it looks a lot better primed then previously and im hoping a good enough paintjob will make it all blend together nicely!

4Gj54S4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1