WIP - Shadespire custom board

Attackmack

Hey all!

Ill throw this thread up as im just getting started and ill see where this goes. Hopefully ill get a decent finished result but we will see :)

In any case ill be trying to make a custom Shadespire board. Having first thought about making them with terrain built into the board ive changed my mind and will now make two "flat" boards and loose bits of terrain so that the various boards can be recreated. In the future, as more boards become availalbe, ill be able to recreate them by simply doing more terrain instead of entire boards! It might not look as good in the end but it will be helluva less work and space consuming!

This is 19mm MDF boards onto which im gluing 2mm MDF hex bases that is 50mm flat to flat. I used bbq sticks as spacers but I recon a thicker kind of wire or thread would make it quicker and simpler, if I had found any!

jKCaNGA.jpg

Beginning in the center of the board and going outwards will make sure I get more then enough excess at the edges for later! The skewers not being perfectly cut did give slight variantion in the spacing between the hexes which I wasnt planning for. Initially it might seem like a nice thing but since the two boards will have to fit perfectly edge to edge all around it might mean some "neutral zone" hexes will look warped. I hope it wont be too visible but we will see later.

xTkGeZD.jpg

Here is the finished board. As you can see, ive left out all the edge and corner hexes. This is so that I can ensure a clean cut along the edges and minimise the visible warp that might come through inconsistency of the spacing. But also, it will make for a more visible overview of what hexes are "out of play" and where the boards align what hexes are "neutral". These edges will instead be markes with debris, gravel or similar.

1RZ90JF.jpg

And a closeup to show the hexes relative to the models!

CJOedep.jpg

It might, and will, be long inbetween updates but as soon as I have progress to show ill put it up here! Questions and feedback as always appreciated!

Now im on yo glue the second board and hopefully cut them to size when I can get around to a saw big enough. 

The boards are cut down to size as straight and tight as I can get it and its close enough! In some orientations there is a very slight gap between the boards but its small enough to not cause an issue or even eyesore, if anything it shows the boards are handmade :D

Currently drawing some lines and markings and planning how to layout and texture the boards. Im trying to not get myself into too much work where the project will stall but I do want to cut some lines across the hexes to give the look of tiles and design. I also plan on marking the deployment and terrain hexes in some discreet manner that allows one of these boards to be quickly setup as either side of one of the cardboard originals. Must get back on that one later on though, havent figured it out quite yet.

ru8kSFu.jpg

Edit:

When I was painting my small Stormcast host I created my own bases from clay. Creating them left a lot of excess debris that i kept would i ever find a use for it. And I figure they kind of look like shards...nK2eY0i.jpg

So after messing my table and my fingers up with superglue, I finally got enough to stick where I actually wanted it!

Shardfall!

FLKeSgg.jpg

Havent started cutting the details into the boards yet, the sound of the dremel will wake the dead so I imagine my neighbouring apartments will spawn a mob with pitchforks and everything :D This weekend ill hopefully get around to it though!

I did get some pieces ive ordered from "Scibor Miniatures" in Poland. They make absolutely fantastic miniatures and these terrain and basing pieces will be perfect for Shadespire! As a sidenote, their range of regular miniatures looks nothing but amazing!

Heres some pics with Angherad at the end to show size comparison!

IXgRgLQ.jpg

NtAvajn.jpg

4gO8IAv.jpg

OsG8qow.jpg

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Great work @Attackmack - what a cool project!!

FYI, I think the quickest and easiest way to sort the spacing of the hexes in future (or for anyone else trying this) would be to use tile spacers. They come in a wide range of sizes and are super cheap.

Thank you!

Yes ive seen those kind of spacers, and there is also a kind of thick thread that some use when tiling kitchens but I couldnt find it when I needed it and didnt get around to go to town to search the stores so I ended up with what I could find at home :)

But I will absolutely recommend anyone doing something similar to get some very accurate way to distance the hexes, it will make for a much more professional finish when the boards fit together just right :/ 

Took the dremel and cut some detail into the boards today! Its cold outside and that makes the garage i worked in fairly cold as well as its radiator isnt doing much but hot coffee, warm clothes and a couple of hours later and im done!

FlPqruU.jpg

Qw1jUWm.jpg

gaW3aZu.jpg

Things are looking good so far but its been rather straightforward. Next is sealing the MDF good and then its on to details and about that time ill start on some terrain pieces as well. Possibly objective markers too If Ive figured out how to do them :)

Got it primed and ready for painting! The sand on the board didnt really come out as I had wished for, dunno if I did too much or too little of it. But it looks a lot better primed then previously and im hoping a good enough paintjob will make it all blend together nicely!

4Gj54S4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This looks fantastic!! 

What an amazing project, great choice with the terrain it fits right in, not sure about some of the more Egyptian style ones but everything else is spot on. This is very inspiring I must say. 

Will there be any grass/turf effects on there too? Love the Shardfall

This reminds me very much of a chess board, would you ever think to put a 'frame' around it? Just a raised edge running all the way around 

IMG_2526_2048x2048.JPG?v=1509005148

It may help finish off those sandy areas around the outside

Can't wait to see the next update on this, again it's fantastic work!!!

11 minutes ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

This reminds me very much of a chess board, would you ever think to put a 'frame' around it? Just a raised edge running all the way around 

A frame around it wouldnt really work as you need to be able to place the tiles edge to edge to make the play area.  Picking the layout can be a large part of your strategy in Shadespire.

On 2017-12-12 at 9:04 PM, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

This looks fantastic!! 

What an amazing project, great choice with the terrain it fits right in, not sure about some of the more Egyptian style ones but everything else is spot on. This is very inspiring I must say. 

Will there be any grass/turf effects on there too? Love the Shardfall

It may help finish off those sandy areas around the outside

Can't wait to see the next update on this, again it's fantastic work!!!

Thank you for the kind words!

Its funny that you mention chessboards, handcrafted exclusive (boutique) backgammon boards was the first thing I though about as inspiration :)

Im not planning on a board though, for reasons mentioned by Drofnum. Of course I could always decide on a fixed board layout and go with that since im only a casual player, and everything is still open for change, but as of now I want to keep the boards movable.

I do want to do something to give the boards some class when closer to finish but exactly what I havent decided on. I have some ideas ;)

Very cool project - I have no plans on starting shadespire, but as a Shop Teacher I always like a bit of woodwork. :)

As for the framing, you could just make a frame that fits down over it? Then you could still align the playing board as you like, and just lift the frame down on it?

@GuitaRasmus that's a very nice idea

@AttackmackAttackmack the word class I think already applies to this ;) I also have already been over to scibor to order some of these bases which work on ut perfect for the setting, can't wait to get ahold of my copy now, thanks for the inspiration 

My 9 year old loves chess and is only just starting to play Warhammer so creating a chess board for him is on the to list :D

On 15/12/2017 at 12:34 AM, GuitaRasmus said:

Very cool project - I have no plans on starting shadespire, but as a Shop Teacher I always like a bit of woodwork. :)

As for the framing, you could just make a frame that fits down over it? Then you could still align the playing board as you like, and just lift the frame down on it?

There are ways one could go about making frames for these boards but it would require making three different frames as the two boards can be aligned into three different play areas, with three different shapes.

Its possible that I might make a second board down the line, I do have more then enough materials for it, and if so I will probably make a single board of a standard layout and indeed make a frame for it :) As of now though, no frame im afraid :/ 

On 15/12/2017 at 7:55 AM, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

@GuitaRasmus that's a very nice idea

@AttackmackAttackmack the word class I think already applies to this ;) I also have already been over to scibor to order some of these bases which work on ut perfect for the setting, can't wait to get ahold of my copy now, thanks for the inspiration 

My 9 year old loves chess and is only just starting to play Warhammer so creating a chess board for him is on the to list :D

Awesome! Shadespire is a great game and just perfect for a casual collector and hobbyist with its so far limited releases! And while we will see more stuff released later on, it doesnt seem as if GW will put out loads and loads of stuff with short notice so for a completionists it shouldnt be difficult nor expensive to "keep uo"!

It lends itself to DIY conversions and hobbywork so well that I had decided to do something like this even before it had released!

As for progress, I finally got around to start painting the boards! Only got the basics down tonite but will keep going at it during this week and hopefully also get started on the terrain pieces! I have had some basing material chip off as I was painting so will have to go over the board to touch up some areas before I go on to the next steps. I thought I had sealed everything down good enough but appearently not!

ozvrBmn.jpg

Got some more painting done though its not finished yet. But it got some more shading done and some details and ive also added the patterns of the deployment and terrain hexes. Basically, when you choose a board you either choose the "blue" or the "orange".

The blue is a board without terrain and you simply deploy on the hexes featuring a blue stone. The orange is a board with terrain and you first place terrain pieces on the hexes entirely made up of orange stones, then you deploy on the hexes featuring a single orange stone. It came out okay and might at first seem confusing but I recon someone familiar with the game will have no issue figuring it out in a moment!

Here is the board alone. The camera makes the colors stand out much more then they do in reality so the orange and blue isnt as intrusive as it looks here. Still I do have more painting to do on them to make them blend better and still "pop".

zCW8Oqy.jpg

Here is the board again but with (unfinished) terrain placed and some of my stormcast just for show B| I will paint my warband in the same scheme when I get around to it and I will also make their bases similar to these, makes them look almost like some form of exclusive playing pieces. The clay bases gives a good weight to them aswell!

8rNFonc.jpg

Closeup for details!

lCib0Lf.jpg

Archived