Christmas Set ..

Zetsu20

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the only reason I can surmise that they skipped on Destruction is due to lack of choice. They've already done Beastclaw Raiders and Ironjawz as 'big boxed sets', and Bonesplitterz don't really have the model depth to make a proper set (As almost all their heroes are finecast/metal). In fact, the only other factions that have plastic heroes are Greenskinz (Warboss) and Gitmob Grots (Shaman). 

It's also possible that since Destruction got one last year, they wanted to give one to Death, while still keeping 2 Order boxes (due to Order being the largest/most popular Grand Alliance).

Anyway, all we can do is hope GW release more stuff for Death/Destruction next year.

For the record, squinting really hard, it looks like the boxed sets are:

Kharadron Overlords : Frigate, Gunhauler, Admiral, 10x Arkanaut Company, 3x Skywarden

Stormcast : Lord Aquillor, 3x Pallador, 6x Gryph Hound, 10x Vanguard Hunter, 6x Vanguard Raptor, 6x Aethering (Although I'm not sure on this, as certainly there only appears to be 3x Aethering pictured).

Changehost : Shaman, 6x Skyfire, 20x Tzaangor, 20x Acolyte

Death: Neferata, 2x Morghast, Wight King, 20x Skeleton, 10x Grave Guard (Not 100% sure on this, I couldn't actually pick out 20 Skeletons, but there seems to be about 30 on 25mm bases).

Stormcast one is pretty similar to blight war for a slightly more expensive price in aust. Noting I only see 3 x raptors and aetherwings in that picture. and I only see 5 vanguard hunters. You sure about those numbers?

Assuming what I can actually see.

Brightwar is

Minus the lord aquillor

Minus the gryph hounds

Add the female ground hero. Blackweave or w/e

And all the nurgle stuff.

6 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Anyone got a clearer picture of the storm cast? Are the numbers above correct?

Its definitely only 3 raptors and 3 aetherwing. 10 hunters. Aquilor. 3 palladors. Then looks like more than 6 gryph hounds to me.

Bad image quality though so...

So basically the Christmas boxes are all the armies they have released this year (which got new model releases) plus another death box which is yet more of the same .  Makes sense I guess but a little disappointing seeing as I have already bought into all of them so there is nothing here for me.  I was wishing for Fyreslayers as even with the getting started box they're still an expensive army but hey ho.

• Tz - If I hadn't bought 50 tzangor already I'd be tempted by the Tz one most.
  • KO - you're unlikely to buy if you're building a competitive list as the expensive 1/2 of the box isn't useful.
  • Stormcasts is Blightwar +, I'd be more tempted to buy 2xblightwar and sell off the nurgle parts.
  • Death - so much crossover with the existing boxes I can't see the appeal. Start collecting was Mortarch & 10 skellies, 5 Black Knights, The Firestorm release was wight & grave guard.  This box is basically a combo of the 2 but with a couple of morghasts thrown in in stead of the black knights.  It's a good option for a new player starting death but would have been way better if it was a VLoZD instead of Mortarch.

6 hours ago, Turragor said:

Its definitely only 3 raptors and 3 aetherwing. 10 hunters. Aquilor. 3 palladors. Then looks like more than 6 gryph hounds to me.

Bad image quality though so...

The box also says 32 models, and that count is only 26. So there are 6 unaccounted for. Could very well be 3 more raptors and wings.

I'm so spoiled by last year's boxes. Heck, the Bloodbound box was $287 in value and it's still in stock. Ironjawz were $306, Sylvaneth $311, and Stormcast were $305. That's an average of about $302 (US).

This year the average value seems to be in the $230-235 range, and to make matters worse two of the four boxed sets are mostly repeats of models that can be found at a better discount in other boxed sets. The Death one is particularly atrocious on this front. 

On the plus side, I rather like the army choices. Tzeentch Arcanites and Kharadon Overlords were great choices, and if it weren't for Blightwar the Stormcast Vanguard one would also make a ton of sense. 

For the Death one I'd have loved to see a Soulblight boxed set. There were plenty of finecast models in Icewind Assault, so why not do something like Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, Blood Knights, 2x3 Vargheists? At $251 that's a bit higher than the other sets this year but still far below last year. VLoZD + 10 Blood Knights + 3 Vargheists would have been right in line with last year's offerings. 

On the bright side, It's great that GW is still doing holiday boxed sets  even if I'm a little disappointed in this year's offerings compared to last year's. 

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Oddly I don't think these are in the UK version of White Dwarf.  I had a very quick flick through this morning and couldn't see any of the mega-battalion boxes (it was however dark and 6.30am).

It’s not in the UK White Dwarf just looked through it. 

Archived