The Painting Contract -November 2017

Mohojoe

Just now, Charles said:

Looking good, doing 20 Blood Reavers in  a month is going to be tough they are so detailed! 

I am hoping for 30... But yep they are on the detailed side of things. Thankfully I can put 2.5hrs a day into them, may be a bit more if I get lucky so I expect to get them sorted by the end of the month. I want to get the full 30, and some of my undead done by Christmas. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my final warband. I have so many models in my backlog that I would like to finally getting round to painting so my try something big before the end of the month- alarielle, glottkin, mannfred. All of them.  The glottkin scares me a bit though.

125E33AB-4A4B-43F7-BB5F-0A67766E634B.jpeg

A10FDD36-F441-4020-930E-812561E8BA5F.jpeg

02EFD6AA-3DB7-4551-B6B3-EC9393A4A323.jpeg

Update for me:  I managed to grab my Shadespire Ironjawz, and get started on them.  And while I don't have pictures of anything else, I started my next Brute Squad and have been making progress on them in a slightly different color scheme.

20171112_213304.jpg.6bbd45adceaf05e00bde3c1ca75fb224.jpg

20171115_182736.jpg.98db74bf0c7e002ec8702a755f970113.jpg

I found the black primer to be essential to giving these guys a custom color scheme.  With my painting technique, it would take too much time and too many coats to cover that green effectively, especially since my Ironjawz don't have any green to them.

Right, so it turns out that not lifting a paintbrush for the first half of the month isn't the best way to get stuff done on your pledge :$

A couple of solid days painting have brought me back up to speed though. Bark's done on everything, and the dryads just need a few highlights on leaves and other details. Should still get them finished on time, if not the big guy (obligatory awful phone pic below):

gYfoSRq.png

Finally finished my commitment from last month but at least I'm a bit early this month! Gorechosen are now complete along with a bonus blood reaver (one down 19 to go).

Really pleased with how they've turned out, took another members advice on the slaughter priest tusks and darkened them up. Also pleased with the flame effect on the anvil, first time trying it and was able to use a pot of sunburst yellow that must be at least 15 years old!

Decided to base with astrogranite debris and some dead static grass to give a ravaged land feel.

IMG_20171118_220533-01.jpeg

IMG_20171118_220123-01.jpeg

IMG_20171118_215836-01.jpeg

On 10/28/2017 at 8:53 PM, Kramer said:

realistic ehh?

- 3 Daemonettes + finally taking the picture and posting the fluff. 

- trebuchet 

- Look out gnoblar 

- mounted sorceress 

After that everything is stretch because moving house took a lot of time last month(hey, who knew) and i’m still catching up. 

- base my chariot 

- paint the mounted slaanesh lord to finish my 1K slaaneshi Spartans. 

Boom! Done! Now onto stretch! Still need a new basing scheme for my army so I probably won't finish my chariot basing goal but the lord is based and ready to rock! 

Just one question.... :/ Anybody got a good gold recipe!? A Slaanesh lord should be able to out 'gold' those nasty stormcasts! 

4 hours ago, Praecautus said:

@Kramer I use retributor armour base, Agrax wash and then Gehenna to highlight on my khorne models. Comes out ok see pic

In other news bar bases I am calling these skull reapers done, anything else this month is a bonus.

IMG_0504.JPG

And a little bit of texture paint on those bases and it’s a win! (And completely legit!)

4 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

And a little bit of texture paint on those bases and it’s a win! (And completely legit!)

Thanks, got the agrellan on after that photo and they are drying over night, quick wash then dry brush tonight and it will be finito ? Will be glad, great models but taken me all month

Next challenge is to pick the next project - skull crushers w kit bashed lord or kit bashed wrath mongers from the left over parts...

Update for me: work is busy (like an extra 2 hours/day or so), and the holidays are coming up.  I haven't done anything since I last updated.  Blargh.  We'll see how things go after my visiting family heads back home.

So, looking at my original list:

1. First, finish up October's models: 5 Ardboys and 3 Gore-gruntas  -  Got this done!  Except for basing, these models are pretty much done.
  2. Touch up and detail work for October models (brightening colors, eyes/teeth, special effects on Shaman/Warchanter)  -  Got this done as well, just needing basing at this point.
  3. Next, paint up last three Gore-gruntas  -  No luck on this, other things came up that I was excited to work on, mostly the following items.
  4. Assemble Shadespire Warband and non-GW Dragon model  -  Got it!
  5. Prime Shadespire Warband (weather pending)  -  I got lucky on this one.
  6. Begin painting remaining Brutes, Gargant, and Shadespire Warband  -  Kind of on this one.  I got started on a Brutes squad and the Shadespire Warband, but not the Gargant.

With any luck, I can get my Brutes and Shadespire boys painted up by the end of the month.  Else, they may be my pledge for December.

Archived