Green Horde - Adding the Mean back into Green

someone2040

Edit: Now there are complete allegiance abilities for all things green. Check out this post further down.

That being said, the original Greenskinz allegiance abilities are also around for those who want to peruse those.

Hi fellas,

So I enjoy coming up with rules in my free time, and have particular love for the old world factions that have wallowed a bit in the muck for a while. I wrote some Free Peoples allegiance abilities a while ago that I never quite fully got out to the public (Apart from the battle trait part), in large part due to the work involved in 'prettyfying' them up.

So I've taken a different approach, in a more mundane and boring document without all the prettiness that comes with official GW documents. 

So anyway, my most recent finished work is on the Greenskinz! I think it's a super shame that Destruction didn't get more allegiance abilities in the GHB2017, I think there are certainly a few candidate factions that easily have enough depth to have their own allegiance abilities. Hopefully that means they're coming soon!

But for now, I've tackled the Greenskinz. This mainly is because I have an old 8th edition army that never really saw much play, and I loved the old 'Orcs and Goblins' look. Not Savage Orruks and Moonclan Grots, or Spiderfang Grots, but plain old Orruks and Grots. They never really took off for me, and certainly, I have thought about selling the army, but for some reason... every week I open up Warscroll Builder and write up some Greenskinz lists.

Anyway, enough fluff. In the link below you'll find completely untested and 100% fanmade allegiance abilities and warscroll battalions for the Greenskinz.

You'll find battle traits for clobbering your enemies, command traits to bulk up your Warboss, magical artefacts to help slay your foes, spells to make your enemies brains burst open with the power of the waaagh, and some warscroll battalions to make the greenskinz even tougher and meaner than before.

Overall, please use them if you enjoy them. Feedback is 100% appreciated. Most numbers are pulled out of thin air (or similar warscrolls if I found them). The descriptions will likely be ******, English and creative writing were certainly not my favourite subjects at school. It is unlikely that I'll get to playtest them anytime soon, but who knows, maybe Greenskinz are on my painting horizon.

Enough prattling, here's the link, go check it out and look forward to more homemade allegiance rules in future.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NFxA98rO0g2xPS08y1f1BCHcWwGAj-a5HvlBeDo-gkY/edit?usp=sharing

I really like what you've done @someone2040  I too love our regular old fashioned Greenskinz and hope they too receive support down the line a la Bonesplittaz. Overall I loved what you did. I will consider using this in friendly games. Some things below that I liked or feel could be touched up on:

The Allegiance Rules you have created were fun to read. I feel, for the most part, they work. The +1 to wound on the charge, along with their choppas  -1 rend, is a good option. Restorin' Order is also appropriate. The re-roll to battleshock is clutch. While I personally would wish they pass automatically after suffering D3 Mortal Wounds, I can understand that a Horde in this situation would normally bypass battleshock with ease.

Command Traits are great. Loved the last one that was reminiscent of animosity. Personally I thought of one a while ago where if the general suffered a wound of any kind, he would go into a frenzy and gain an attack, or like Wild Abandon, Re-Roll all failed hits, but re-roll successful armour saves, or like WA, successful 6's on armour saves. 

I enjoyed your items because they offer a good diversity for combat, support, and magic heroes. I like to believe that the characteristics for Greenskinz offers speed, variety, and execution, so your items you have listed reflect that. Helm of Sorcery, however, could boost a Shaman if he takes it (EX: allows the shaman to casts two spells a turn instead of one). 

In terms of magic, I think 'Eadbutt should be a bit simpler and do a direct D6 Mortal Wounds to a single unit, but casting value go up from 6 to 8. Brain Bursta could also go up from 6 to 7 because of how strong it potentially is. Like the artifacts, your spells list is also solid in terms of variety of direct damage, support and defensive spells. The last two I feel are quite proper for the Greenskinz lore. 

In the Warboar Stampede, you forgot to include the Boar Chariot. I feel if it gets a rules update, or possibly you decide to do something with it for the battalion, it could be much more useful. Also, the Big Mob battalion, while I think it is fine, I jealously hope in a future GW-made battletome that the Big 'Uns from Fantasy return. The army needs at least one elite infantry/cavalry unit.

Great work overall lad 

27 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

I really like what you've done @someone2040  I too love our regular old fashioned Greenskinz and hope they too receive support down the line a la Bonesplittaz. Overall I loved what you did. I will consider using this in friendly games. Some things below that I liked or feel could be touched up on:

Thanks for your kind words. I too think that the regular Greenskinz should get some love. I get the feeling that now that Ironjawz are around, regular Greenskinz don't feel as interesting to the GW designers. In some ways, Ironjawz just take what Greenskinz do and make them bigger (So wouldn't be surprised to see some Grunta Chariot in future!).

28 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

The Allegiance Rules you have created were fun to read. I feel, for the most part, they work. The +1 to wound on the charge, along with their choppas  -1 rend, is a good option. Restorin' Order is also appropriate. The re-roll to battleshock is clutch. While I personally would wish they pass automatically after suffering D3 Mortal Wounds, I can understand that a Horde in this situation would normally bypass battleshock with ease.

Yeah, the +1 to wound from charging is definitely a throwback to the old Choppa's rule they used to have in older editions. Makes them super pumped up on the charge, but not as strong afterwards. In regards to auto-passing. I get the feeling that if they redid Greenskinz, they might make them consistent with other Orruks (3+ wound, no rend on Choppas) and in that case, easy enough to swap the allegiance ability around. I've heard bad things about auto-passing morale from commissars in 40k that was basically errated to be the same thing as I've got here. So a bit cautious to make big blobs of Orruks completely immune!

31 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Command Traits are great. Loved the last one that was reminiscent of animosity. Personally I thought of one a while ago where if the general suffered a wound of any kind, he would go into a frenzy and gain an attack, or like Wild Abandon, Re-Roll all failed hits, but re-roll successful armour saves, or like WA, successful 6's on armour saves. 

There's one similar in generic Destruction actually - Wild Fury that does just that. Glad that you like the command traits, I think some could have some better/more creative names but pretty happy with them overall. 

34 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

I enjoyed your items because they offer a good diversity for combat, support, and magic heroes. I like to believe that the characteristics for Greenskinz offers speed, variety, and execution, so your items you have listed reflect that. Helm of Sorcery, however, could boost a Shaman if he takes it (EX: allows the shaman to casts two spells a turn instead of one). 

Yeah, the idea (if I'm only going to do a single artefacts list) was to make sure there's a good spread of aggressive, defensive and utility on the artefacts. You're right the Helm of Sorcery could effect a Shaman also, I'll probably add that in. Actually, the idea comes from both Azhag the Slaughterer (Who you can now make an appropriate stand in again), and the Warhammer : Age of Reckoning model, Grumlok and Gazbag. That model is so kickass! And with this item, you could represent Gazbag sitting on his shoulder. So that one definitely has a personal bias to including it so if I ever get my army off the ground, I can use that model :)

37 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

In terms of magic, I think 'Eadbutt should be a bit simpler and do a direct D6 Mortal Wounds to a single unit, but casting value go up from 6 to 8. Brain Bursta could also go up from 6 to 7 because of how strong it potentially is. Like the artifacts, your spells list is also solid in terms of variety of direct damage, support and defensive spells. The last two I feel are quite proper for the Greenskinz lore. 

Yeah, like artefacts and command traits, was definitely trying to go for a healthy mix of spells. Gorkamorka's Warpath in particular was difficult to come up with as Foot of Gork is such an iconic Orc spell but already used up on the Weirdnob Shaman. Pretty happy with how it came out in the end though.

The casting values are some of the stuff I just pulled out of thin air. It's a bit hard to say for example, how much the inbuilt +1 to cast near 20 Orruks helps the Great Shamans, or how much potential damage the lore should have. I kinda like the idea of a 'Eadbutt off (Maybe it should only target Heroes?), but can see how it is a bit complicated.

Will definitely assess what other people think about the spells.

44 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

In the Warboar Stampede, you forgot to include the Boar Chariot. I feel if it gets a rules update, or possibly you decide to do something with it for the battalion, it could be much more useful. Also, the Big Mob battalion, while I think it is fine, I jealously hope in a future GW-made battletome that the Big 'Uns from Fantasy return. The army needs at least one elite infantry/cavalry unit.

The Boar Chariots are in the Warboar Stampede. It's 3-6 units of Orruk Boarboys or Orruk Boar Chariots.

I to an extent, also think Big Un's should make a return as an actual unit. Would love to see a Big Un's/Crossbow Boyz crossover unit. That being said, bigger Orruks in some ways means 'Ironjawz' now, so not sure it'd actually make it as a model kit. For this set of rules, I didn't want to go into homebrew units, so a Warscroll Battalion is the next best thing.

46 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Great work overall lad 

Thanks, really appreciate it. Just talking about this gets my Waaagh! energy flowing... 

• 3 months later...

This is awesome, great work bud!
I love the piggy battalion.
Chariots and boarboys are my favorite part of the Greenskin army. 
Definitely printing out and giving to the destruction players in my area.
Lots of people complaining about how crappily they've been handled since the End Times.
Thanks for your work! 

Yeah, the idea behind the Warboss on Chariot was

A) It should be an easy conversion. Although I don't have a Boar Chariot to check out sizes for (My only one was converted into a Tuskgor Chariot which I modded a bit), in theory you should just be able to remove one of the crew members and stick on the on foot Warboss from the plastic kit.

B) I wanted it to open up new ways to design your list.

I originally was going to put this guy in the Warboar Stampede battalion I created (either use one on Boar or this one on Boar Chariot), but figured I'd keep the allegiance abilities pure from my other fan made stuff. Feel free to sub this guy in if you use it.

I also haven't really mentioned points, I was probably thinking 180 as he gets a few extra wounds, and doesn't have the utility of Waaagh! (Which effects all friendly Orruks) or the Waaagh banner.

But yeah, hope people have fun with it. Just a bit sad that Destruction didn't get any allegiance abilities under GHB2017, which makes you wonder what GW's plans are for the grand alliance. I'm personally hoping that Gutbusters + Firebellies + Maneaters get their own Ogor tome and Greenskinz, Gitmob, Troggoths, and Gargants get their own Orruks and Grots tome (Akin to Legions of Nagash), and then Moonclan and Spiderfang get explored further into their own armies. 

So kinda hoping the absence of official allegiance abilities is a good thing? But for now, people can use mine if they want to add a little extra to their Greenskinz.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this topic up but I too am a fan of old school greenskinz, despite their somewhat now generic looks.

I've always been toying with the idea of the Green Tide, an ability that takes into account more orruks joining the fight as the combat goes on which can help greenskinz win attrition fights.

Something like

The Green Tide: At the start of the HERO PHASE, Orruk units (as in the foot Orruks, really weird they have no other name like Orruk Boyz or something) may revive up to D3 models if they have attacked in melee in the previous turn and have not failed any battleshock tests. For Orruk Boarboys and Orruk Boar Chariots, they heal D3 wounds instead.

The green tide.

At the end of each battleshock phase any Greenskinz Orruk who activated in the previous combat phase and didn't fail a battleshock check this phase heals d3 wounds.

If every model in the unit is at full wounds you may instead revive a dead model at full wounds or d3 if they only have 1 wound each.

Slightly cleaner, still not sure there isn't a better wording though. Expanding it to greenskinz and Orruk with keyword bold seems like a solid move.

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

The green tide.

At the end of each battleshock phase any Greenskinz Orruk who activated in the previous combat phase and didn't fail a battleshock check this phase heals d3 wounds.

If every model in the unit is at full wounds you may instead revive a dead model at full wounds or d3 if they only have 1 wound each.

Slightly cleaner, still not sure there isn't a better wording though. Expanding it to greenskinz and Orruk with keyword bold seems like a solid move.

Yea thats perhaps better worded, though I used the specification for boar chariots to prevent units of chariots from reviving a "free" 80pt model. Though I imagine it would be hard to pull that of anyways and its not like anyone is complaining about greenskin chariots.

16 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea thats perhaps better worded, though I used the specification for boar chariots to prevent units of chariots from reviving a "free" 80pt model. Though I imagine it would be hard to pull that of anyways and its not like anyone is complaining about greenskin chariots.

Aye I wrote it in because it requires the models be full wounds AND have lost a model AND not failed a battleshock test AND fought in the combat phase. It's really conditional when you look at it and most of the time isn't going to go off.

On the other hand it provides incentives to run units of chariots rather than just all singles which I consider a bonus.

9 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Sorry to bump this topic up but I too am a fan of old school greenskinz, despite their somewhat now generic looks.

I've always been toying with the idea of the Green Tide, an ability that takes into account more orruks joining the fight as the combat goes on which can help greenskinz win attrition fights.

Something like

The Green Tide: At the start of the HERO PHASE, Orruk units (as in the foot Orruks, really weird they have no other name like Orruk Boyz or something) may revive up to D3 models if they have attacked in melee in the previous turn and have not failed any battleshock tests. For Orruk Boarboys and Orruk Boar Chariots, they heal D3 wounds instead.

No worries bumping the topic! Hopefully a topic such as allegiance abilities generates interest in a faction.

My concern about the Green Tide being part of the allegiance abilities (as a battle trait) would be that it's a bit of a strange ability. Regenerating bodies is not really an 'Orruk' style thing, even if it is meant to represent more Orruks joining the fight. It feels weird in some ways that only a few Boyz are lurking around joining in, as if there are just stragglers everywhere which doesn't quite feel right as opposed to attractive nearby Orruk units.

Anyway, my thought would be that it seems to make more sense either as a Scenario rule that allows you to re-summong dead units or new units based on certain conditions. Or in the current form, it might make more sense on a warscroll battalion of some type.

For example, if I were to put it somewhere in my Greenskinz Allegiance abilities, I would likely push it onto the Greenskinz Wartribe (Which would push it outside competitive matched play, but IMO thematically makes sense there). Alternatively I'd create a new warscroll battalion themed around this mechanic.

e.g

Green Tide Warscroll Battalion

3+ units of Orruks (Each must have 20 or more models)

Green Tide: In your battleshock phase, if you roll a 1 on the battleshock test for a unit in this battalion which attacked in the preceding combat phase, the unit instead suffers no casualties due to battleshock and adds D6 models to the unit as it attracts nearby Orruks to the fight.

Hi all,

I'm a huge advocate of more 'Legions of Nagashinings' (A real very official term!) happening for many of the older armies. I don't have too much faith that a lot of the older stuff is going to get nice new shiny stuff, GW seem very enamoured in making the new stuff on the block much more attractive and fleshing them out further. The most one can hope for I think are Legion of Nagashinings! Combined some of the older factions back into a single army building tome.

So I've done just that!

Building on the allegiance abilities I created for the Greenskinz, well it's only one step further to make them accessible for all things green. I already had some thoughts about spell lores for the various Grot factions that was going on in the background. Add in a ton of borrowed magic items from army books past, add a bit of Kunnin' or Brutal spice and viola, allegiance abilities.

Go check them out, and let me know what you think!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tSjiMXpSTjOnMbuP1FgUpN5OhUvvtfbJRAAuoGz9_hk/edit?usp=sharing

Archived