Suggestions on order ranged list! without guns!

TGCMactar

hey so im looking forward to a ranged order list without any guns! so bows!

so far im thinking of.

Celestial hurricanum

20 glade guard and 10 glade guard

10 shadow warriors

10 darkshards.

any suggestions on heroes and such? the 2 glade guard models left might be able to convert into a wood elf hero

you find us pretty cohesive on the Waywatchers (either the heroes or the units) they are pretty cost effective and especially the heroes are proper HMGs in the correct setting (and even without that they can stand for theimselves). I would not go for the shadowwarriors they are too expensive for what they actually do: for 16" range dark elves crossbows are very good especially with the hurricanum pumping them up. Ballistass from darking covens are good too.

I've played Darkshards quite often now, and I feel playing a squad of 10 is not worth it. They don't have rend, and they only hit on a 5, so much of the time they will do nothing. You would be far better served playing a squad of 20 or more to take advantage of their +1 to hit ability.

The Stormcast Knight-Azyros is an excellent hero for a shooting army. He allows your other units to reroll ones when shooting at a  unit within 10" of him.

What point list are you looking at making? 

Waywatches are definitely the dark horse now, 80 points for 5 seems really good. 

Sisters of the watch I've also had success with at the beginning of AOS. The double shot great as well as the buff vs chaos models and even moreso the stand/shoot is awesome!

Kurnoth hunters with bows fit the bill but are a little expensive nowadays for what you get, along side a hurricanum though might be more worth it.

Azyros is great as someone has already mentioned

Even your basic judicators along side the hurricanum become miles better, very consistent with their shooting

What point list are you looking at making? 

Waywatches are definitely the dark horse now, 80 points for 5 seems really good. 

Sisters of the watch I've also had success with at the beginning of AOS. The double shot great as well as the buff vs chaos models and even moreso the stand/shoot is awesome!

Kurnoth hunters with bows fit the bill but are a little expensive nowadays for what you get, along side a hurricanum though might be more worth it.

Azyros is great as someone has already mentioned

Even your basic judicators along side the hurricanum become miles better, very consistent with their shooting

Needs more Magic.

And the Seraphon artillery beasts technically aren't guns either.

You shoudl consider a large unit of at elast 20, but more like 30-40 Dispossessed Quarrellers, if you bringa  Runelord along to buff them with his Forgefire then they also are at -1 rend with a heck of a lot of shots down range.

Consider also a lot of small units of Glade Guard if facing lots of heavily armoured opponents, arcane bodkins are quite potent - small units allow you to cover more ground to weaken/kill units.

9 hours ago, stratigo said:

three free people units and a general synnergize stupid well. Free people crossbows are generally good, cheap, and battleline.

I think the "without guns" point was referred exactly to free people and dwardin. I think he was looking for something withoit gunpowder shooting models:P.

Darkshards I don t see them taht bad if teamed with an hurricanum. They then would hit on 4+ and double the shots for 10 models and 80(?) Points. I say not bad at all. You then screen them with something and the might become pretty usefull.

Personally Frozenbeast, Bows are the equivalent of guns for any army that can wield them. the Aelves in most of their background can create and use guns but generally choose to stick with Bows of whatever sort be it a bow or a crossbow or a repeating crossbow or whatever. A shooting army without guns really should be a shoot9ing army with guns, crossbows or bows and to pulling other aspects of ranged destructive potential.

A Bloodwrack Medusae for example has a 10" ranged attack that causes 1/3 of the models in range to take a mortal wound.

That's an example which emphasises the title of the thread - something different. It may as well just have a thread title of 'Order Ranged Army' with a note in the openings entence that black powder weapons aren't being utilised for thematic purposes.

More importantly, the few sentences in the opening post suggest that TGCMactar is limited to what models he is using as he has written he has 2 glade guard left and perhaps they can be converted into heroes. More information on how we can best suggest things is probably needed before we can be completely constructive and assume or not assume otherwise.

Drop in 2 units of 40 skinks, that's a lot of firepower right there and a lot of bubble wrap to boot. Expand this by including more longer ranged units like the glade guard, the waywatchers and the hurricanum then branch from there. Is a competitive matched play army what is wanted as that is where we can start to give much more constructive feedback and being told whether freeguild is desired or not is a big one.

Some Fireslayers with throwing axes would add a bit of melee punch while still keeping the shooting theme - teamed with an Auric Runesmiter for the tunnelling and re-rolling failed wound rolls.  The two remaining glade guard could be converted to Waywatcher heroes - the others aren't so hot.

On 25/10/2017 at 9:16 PM, TGCMactar said:

hey so im looking forward to a ranged order list without any guns! so bows!

@Auretious TaakI was refereing to this. So I can agree with you aelves can craft guns but prefer to stick to bows but in my opinion this is the exact point, bows (or something else). That is why I pointed out to whom was suggesting free people that, in my opinion, the whole point of the post was to have suggestions on order models that do not carry guns but bows.^_^

As per the 2 spare models straight ahead to waywatcher conversion or to a nomad prince and a wayatcher.

3 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

@Auretious TaakI was refereing to this. So I can agree with you aelves can craft guns but prefer to stick to bows but in my opinion this is the exact point, bows (or something else). That is why I pointed out to whom was suggesting free people that, in my opinion, the whole point of the post was to have suggestions on order models that do not carry guns but bows.^_^

As per the 2 spare models straight ahead to waywatcher conversion or to a nomad prince and a wayatcher.

He didn’t say no free people, just no guns. Free people have crossbows

Archived