Most customizeable kit?

TGCMactar

I kind of like to vote Skullreapers/Wrathmongers for this! You can make the above two, use the torso's for another set if you have the legs or use the torso's for Skullcrushers. In addition, if you feel like it, any Skullreaper/Wrathmonger model lends itself very well to be converted into a Mighty Lord of Khorne, Aspiring Deathbringer, Exalted Deathbringer or Blood Warrior champion.

3 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

IMO i think either putrid blight kings

Common misconception IMO. Sure they are a really awesome kit and have loads of great bits for conversions etc, but due to the way the models fit together there's only really 2 clear builds for each model.

That said, with head and weapon swaps you are still able to create variety even over 20 or so guys I'd suspect. The models are similar to Orruk Brutes in that way.

I actually think GW has slightly stepped away from readily customizable kits. Nowadays most kits have certain arms that fit a certain torso etc. For the most part this is a good thing as someone who dislikes basic assembly, the old style mega customizable super multipart kit was a bit of a pain.

As for most customizable, I would look at this question from the point of view of how many different things can you build from the kit. You maybe have to look at something like the Beastclaw Raiders monster kit for that, which can be assembled as any one of 6 units (Frostlord on Stonehorn/Thundertusk, Huskard on Stonehorn/Thundertusk or Stonehorn/Thundertusk Beastriders). Not sure any other single kit beats that?

The Tzeentch chariot is something with a lot of potential as well, depending on how you break it down.

I look forward to seeing the other answers. @Killax has a decent one, but I can only appreciate this due to the awesome kitbashes and conversions that @Cowboy Boots Matt produced from one boxset. I guess it all depends on how you define customizable and if you are holding yourself to what any one kit can make in a vacuum.

Chris

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

You maybe have to look at something like the Beastclaw Raiders monster kit for that, which can be assembled as any one of 6 units (Frostlord on Stonehorn/Thundertusk, Huskard on Stonehorn/Thundertusk or Stonehorn/Thundertusk Beastriders). Not sure any other single kit beats that?

Second this. They feel like the reason magnets found their way into the hobby.

Chaos Maurauders represent the most flexible kit still in the range. They're standard, human sized parts, split with flat joins at the waist, arms and normal ball socket head. They're one of the few kits where the entire sprue gets used, whether for the intial model build, or subsequent conversions.

The only kit I recall being better was the Empire Miltia kit, as the parts were more varied in their design.

17 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I actually think GW has slightly stepped away from readily customizable kits. Nowadays most kits have certain arms that fit a certain torso etc. For the most part this is a good thing as someone who dislikes basic assembly, the old style mega customizable super multipart kit was a bit of a pain.

While I get why some people are sad about losing customization, I love the models that basically go together one way(maybe with alternate weapons, but the arms clearly fit one way). Arms+weapons on older kits are my mortal enemies. You have to fit these four pieces on at the same time in just the way or it won't look right, but there's no indication from the pieces them selves exactly how they fit together and at what angle. Give me all the "this notch fits here, exactly this way with these two arm options" any day. The serious modelers have enough skill to work around that with a hobby knife and some green stuff anyway.

In terms of a single self-contained kit I think the Treelord knocks it out of the park, really.

Just having three different build variants already puts it way ahead of most big monster kits. But the real draw is the fact that all three variants have their own complete set of joints (knee, shoulder, neck, etc.) - and that all of these different joints are totally compatible.

The result: a kit that can create a truly staggering number of unique poses. Compared to most big monster kits - which usually build one thing with limited customisation (a different head or rider) or two variants with virtually no customisation - it's just in a completely different league.

While I can't speak to whether it's the most customizable kit with any kind of confidence, I do want to mention Sylvaneth Dryads.  While there are certain branches that are supposed to go on the back or as left/right arms, nearly every bit can go anywhere on the model with a little surgery. Even the most rudimentary greenstuff skills will let you create a HUGE variety of poses, and I've seen tons of very basic kitbashes that dramatically alter the dryads. They kitbash well onto a ton of kits, and a ton of kits kitbash well onto them... and that's not even starting with the large number of decorative bits that they have on their sprue. 

Personally, I love giving my dryads extra arms and using the "back" branches as army branches. I find this opens up a ton of variety and makes them look a bit less human. Some of them look a lot more like trees, some look almost like Tyranids.

5 hours ago, bsharitt said:

. The serious modelers have enough skill to work around that with a hobby knife and some green stuff anyway.

That's true and although I wouldn't consider myself a serious modeler I managed to get around the wierd fixed necks of the Kairic acolyte kit. But.... if that set would have been my first starting point I don't think I would ever have found the joy of converting as I have now. It's those fidelly, all parts kind of fit sprues that challenged me to start converting in the first place, and with minimum effort I still saw progress and that's what inspired me. But we'll see, most likely it won't stop the starters who like that sort of thing. 

But despite the horrible necks that make changing heads a painful experience, I gotta say I love the kairic acolytes as a set for converting. The models are very dynamic and until you add the heads not really dedicated to a certain god or faction. Some details might have to be removed, but it's not like a big khorne logo on the chest like the blood warriors got for example.  So you can use them for anything from semi clad wanderer spearmen to blood reavers, from marauders to free men guard or as I used them as Slaanesh Chaos warriors. And those are just some examples of the top of my head. 

Although the Fireslayer heads are a good runner up. They seem to fit everything from stormcast bodies, to chaos warriors, although my personal favourite (and might do it in the future myself) is using them on the Kahadron overlords to give them that extra piratey feel. 

6 hours ago, Davariel said:

In terms of a single self-contained kit I think the Treelord knocks it out of the park, really.

Just having three different build variants already puts it way ahead of most big monster kits. But the real draw is the fact that all three variants have their own complete set of joints (knee, shoulder, neck, etc.) - and that all of these different joints are totally compatible.

The result: a kit that can create a truly staggering number of unique poses. Compared to most big monster kits - which usually build one thing with limited customisation (a different head or rider) or two variants with virtually no customisation - it's just in a completely different league.

Good point, I was very impressed with the kit when I put mine together. Really clever. 

Archived