How will you sleeve?

Attackmack

Im guessing most people will sleeve their Shadespire cards so just a little question for the fun of it: How will you sleeve your cards?

I havent decided if ill go with the official sleeves for the various warbands or if im gonna go with Dragon Shields matte sleeves which both look and feel great! But the mattes come in limited colors so can become an issue as more warbands are released (and inevitable added to my collection :/ ). Possibly ill do all of the powercards in black and the objectives in red or white and then keep cards separated in tuckboxes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a magic player, so the same for me, i will go dragonshields because they are high quality and i love to shuffle them.  

Edit - They are also cheaper per 100 than the GW counterparts which i am sure will be less quality and i don't really mind the art.

I have put mine in the games workshop sleeves  but it's a bit annoying that there is only enough for a single playing deck so I can't put all the extra cards into the same type of sleeves without buying a whole extra pack.

Also it's annoying that they have different backs to the cards so I could not just drop a neutral card into the Stormcast deck without resleeving or else i would know in advance what card was coming up. 

Finally, my khorne cards came with enough for only 11 objectives. Did anyone else find this? I'm not sure if it is an error or what

Having said that, they feel awesome.

Can anyone recommend sleeves

10 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I didn't finish my sentence sorry 

Can anyone recommend sleeves that are entirely see through?

Dragonshields. Really there are but a few other options but Dragonshields always deliver. There are some Japanese sleeves to, works just aswell. 
The great thing about Dragonshields is that they are widly available too. I have the regulars orderd but as seen how tight they are I think I'll keep them as a collectable thingy.

Dragonshield also creates neat storage boxes which I will use aswell. This will allow you to thake everything with you stored up nicely:
at-20301-dragon-shield-storage-box-w-fou

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Dragonshields. Really there are but a few other options but Dragonshields always deliver. There are some Japanese sleeves to, works just aswell. 
The great thing about Dragonshields is that they are widly available too. I have the regulars orderd but as seen how tight they are I think I'll keep them as a collectable thingy.

Dragonshield also creates neat storage boxes which I will use aswell. This will allow you to thake everything with you stored up nicely:
at-20301-dragon-shield-storage-box-w-fou

Looks perfect

59 minutes ago, Elodin said:

I bought the official sleeves. Overpriced for sure, but still a really nice quality and the art is cool. I’ll probably just get a case for my other cards and switch them out of the sleeves as need be.

The quality is great. They feel soo good im tempted to purchase a second packet...at this point it will be the cheapest option right.

Right?

Derp...im such a fan boi

1 hour ago, zabbraxas said:

recycle all my old magic sleeves, with different one for the objective and actrion card, just need to buy some transparent for the heroes

Same here, eventually, Im just undecided on opening the Shadespire sleeves, I know I will play the living heck out of it and am very happy to read that for events sleeve marking is forbidden and does count as cheating.

What this often leads to is that for events I will play with new sleeves anyway. But for the tokens and the like I actually like a clear variant or non-clear variant of Dragonshield's multi deck boxes, they are just ideal to keep it all in one place. Im sure to scratch up those boards eventually too.

But guys, this also brings me to another point. Do you know if someone is allready trying to replicate this game in vassal? It's a medium used for online testing and I think it's very interesting for a community to test online aswell if they want to have better tournament results. Likewise a TGA Warhammer Underworlds team would also be very cool for possible Skype play. 

Please let me know if others are considering this aswell. Im open for anything.

Cheers,

16 minutes ago, Killax said:

But guys, this also brings me to another point. Do you know if someone is allready trying to replicate this game in vassal? It's a medium used for online testing and I think it's very interesting for a community to test online aswell if they want to have better tournament results. Likewise a TGA Warhammer Underworlds team would also be very cool for possible Skype play. 

Please let me know if others are considering this aswell. Im open for anything.

Cheers,

I used to play x-wing in vassal which was a bit cumbersome but very much playable! Id love for shadespire to get a good adaptation for it and for the community to embrace it! Im not all too familiar with the local gaming community and seldom have time to drop by the stores and what not so a way to enjoy Shadespire at odd times when I can would be great :)

I dont know anything about creating stuff for vassal but if it happens Id be more then happy to join in for some game n chat

17 minutes ago, Attackmack said:

I used to play x-wing in vassal which was a bit cumbersome but very much playable! Id love for shadespire to get a good adaptation for it and for the community to embrace it! Im not all too familiar with the local gaming community and seldom have time to drop by the stores and what not so a way to enjoy Shadespire at odd times when I can would be great :)

I dont know anything about creating stuff for vassal but if it happens Id be more then happy to join in for some game n chat

Guess I have something to figure out in my spare time (ugh more! ;) ). The thing really is that I think the game lends itself extremely well for a platform like it, pieces move in a logical way, boards have grids that really make things easy to check and in addition the games are purposefully designed to be quick.

First things first though, I'll do a complete deck review and contents for the let's chat's. I think some card evaluation is always a good thing to discuss. In principle the set up and advantages of Stormcast and Bloodreavers arn't incredibly difficult to understand. What some seem to forget though is that draw attacks and succesful attacks still can lead to a push and for Bloodreavers this push is extremely relevant as sometimes it's their best line of defence. A defence that is otherwise poor. Thaking risks rewards Bloodreavers, playing reactively really rewards the Stormcast.

In addition those reviews will also cover the card product, tokens and the like. More soon! 

Cheers,

11 minutes ago, Killax said:

Guess I have something to figure out in my spare time (ugh more! ;) ). The thing really is that I think the game lends itself extremely well for a platform like it, pieces move in a logical way, boards have grids that really make things easy to check and in addition the games are purposefully designed to be quick.

First things first though, I'll do a complete deck review and contents for the let's chat's. I think some card evaluation is always a good thing to discuss. In principle the set up and advantages of Stormcast and Bloodreavers arn't incredibly difficult to understand. What some seem to forget though is that draw attacks and succesful attacks still can lead to a push and for Bloodreavers this push is extremely relevant as sometimes it's their best line of defence. A defence that is otherwise poor. Thaking risks rewards Bloodreavers, playing reactively really rewards the Stormcast.

In addition those reviews will also cover the card product, tokens and the like. More soon! 

Cheers,

Ill read it all! Im such a beginner to games like this and need to learn anything I can :)

And play as much as possible of course which is why Vassal would be such a great thing! I know the people over at FFG forums do vassal tournaments for xwing and Armada! Or they did previously at least!

It doesnt replace the joy of a real social game but its a good complement to let people get games in even if they cant join up locally.

Yeah if Games Workshop would plan to work it out in a League of Legends like game that would be incredible aswell, the set up is easy enough, the game would even preform better without the token hassle. However I agree, it doesn't replace the joy of real play at all. It just so happens that at that moment things become easier to evaluate and the strenghts of Warbands can be easier identified. 

The subject has less to do with sleeves but is still something that can improve your hobby experience. Same with Vassal, it's ideal to test combo decks too, as 20 cards and free to play Power cards really lend itself to such designs, eventually Im sure we'll see a card doing something very interesting ;) 

Im actually also happy that the rulesset doesn't enforce specific sleeve use. One of the prime issues I would have with that is that everybody using the same sleeves can easily lead to certain cards suddenly ending up in another players deck. Not on purpose but because a left card in same sleeve might be just from your deck.

I've sleeved mine in FFG standard board game card sleeves because I've got loads of them lying around, and they seem to work well enough! There's a bit of space around the cards themselves, but not too much and I'm happy with the result.

I cannot recommend the GW sleeves.

They are too short and too tight. The top of the card either peaks out of the sleeve or is way to close to the entrance. (even if you press the card all the way down)

Because of that, the sleeve cannot close itself and dirt can easily enter and/or the card will be damage over time.

FFG's or other 3rd party sleeves should work better, are cheaper and you get extra sleeves. Later is another big minus for GW sleeves, there are no spares whatsoever and you'll need them sooner or later.

https://imgur.com/a/SNL2s

There might be a chance that I've just had bad luck and I've got two bad packs, not a rare occurrence with some manufacturers.

Either way, I'll not buy them again. (Shuffling is smooth tho).

Selfquote because relevant.

I bought sleeves for SCE and Reavers. The reaver sleeves are okayish while the SCE ones are pretty much unusable. (in both cases, the cards are slowly squeezed out of the sleeves while shuffling or playing, especially noticeable on the SCE ones)

Considering the price and the lack of extra sleeves from GW, I'll roll with FFG sleeves or dragonshields in the near future.

11 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Looks perfect

The quality is great. They feel soo good im tempted to purchase a second packet...at this point it will be the cheapest option right.

Right?

Derp...im such a fan boi

They are really nice, and it feels better shuffling them too. I’m all for people buying the official sleeves, cause that increases the chance we’ll see a release of special sleeves for all the warbands. 

50 minutes ago, gorthorbeastlord said:

The competitive play packet has been circulating a bit and I admit I only glanced at it, but you need to sleeve for any kind of organized play right? I mean out of the box the action cards have mismatched colors in the backs which means without good opaque sleeves they are marked.

Well I think no TO will reinforce it just yet but it is highly recommended. In general though putting sleeves on cards is just a good way to prolong card life, even if it's a simple cheap sleeve.

One of the things that remains is that GW's cards arn't designed in such a way yet that they can handle the rough play, as before I havn't seen a GW card yet that's completely without any form of minor damage. However at the same time it's also possible GW will not dive too much into that anyway because it's not really or solely a collectable cardgame. Deckbuilding is just an aspect of the game :) an important one but still.

It's an LCG not a CCG -- I pray that GW will never do random booster packs. I don't think they will given how much they hate the secondary market but it's still a fear lol.

I just don't see letting people play with unsleeved cards though, like I said, the extras deck has a completely different blue hue than the "starter" decks in the shadespire box

43 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

I'm sleeving mines in the 100 for $1 Ultra Pro Card Sleeves.

It's good enough and cheap.

Good old fashioned penny sleeves. I've never liked how they shuffled at all, not even for EDH would I use them.

I'll be using the non-penny-sleeve ultra pros, might use penny sleeves for characters since they don't get shuffled, I don't know yet.

I've had a lot of problems with dragonshields, they're just not worth the pricetag, poor quality control on their end often leaves a whack of sleeve which are cut incorrectly meaning you don't get the full box as usable sleeves.

An important thing to remember is even high quality sleeves are not immune to wear and tear from the oils in your hands, as soon as they start to get a buildup of "crud" (it's a technical term) you need to re-sleeve the deck anyways.  The buildup of oils, dead skin cells, and whatever else sticks to them will make them stick together and prevent smooth shuffling, not to mention they're technically marked as soon as stuff starts sticking to them.

Obviously I have very strict opinions when it comes to sleeves coming from a background of judging mtg events (and competing in them with above average success) and everyone's opinions on sleeves are subjective.

What I will say is I don't have enough hands on experience with GW sleeves to recommend them, I've heard they're much better than dragon shields, much worse than dragon shields, but I haven't been able to shuffle a full deck with them, only been able to sleeve a card and feel the sleeves. They seem fine, and if you're not going to be participating in organized play then picking up the GW sleeves is the easiest way to have your boxed game experience.

Not sleeving is not an option imo, even for casual play

Well most sleeves work well enough. A reason for me to go to the shop yesterday and get myself Dragonshields also had to do with the idea that soon enough players will play with the GW sleeves and this can really mix up fast with cards if you play with a mirror match.

Ideally I believe every player should have different sleeves to prevent all possible ways of mixing up cards from different decks. So I really like the Warband specific sleeves but I hope GW will just continue making all kinds of sleeves. Some sporting the orginal art as the back, some sporting the black and gold design they made for the deckbox and some just sporting the circle with the Warband art in it.

Though Im certain more sleeves will pop up. I do think a good video review will get GW aware that their sleeves could be a little bit longer.

Archived