Let's chat: Sepulchral Guard

Killax

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See I do the opposite. I like a nice open board - a lot of the Orruk Glory in this matchup comes from Contain/Denial, which is easy for them to get if you make a choke. Instead, I like to bait them in and play defensive with my Warden, then sneak someone past with some mixture of +1 Move, +2 Move, Sprint, and/or Danse Macabre. If they chase, it's less pressure on me. If they ignore it, I deny 6 GP which is huge. 

1 hour ago, CanHammer-darren said:

tbh, ive not had too many problems with orruks, but is very draw dependent, and whether or not you can place the second board. if you can, just put it long wise and narrowest as possible, choke the middle and use your objective tricks and pokey pokey from back line with warden.

Just to point out, if you go long, there is only one possible configuration.

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Just to point out, if you go long, there is only one possible configuration.

Yup. And if you the side with the 3 hex LOS blocking terrain and put that close to your opponent literally they are sending in one guy at a time. If you stratageically use your warden or a minion and shardfall you literally jam the orks up for a whole turn

• 3 weeks later...

My defensive/objective decks don't change much. Tactical Genius 1-3/3-5 are bad, imo, but I'm thinking of putting in Cover Ground for free Glory when you play Sprint or put Frightening Speed + Great Speed on an Inspired dude.

For ploys:

• Curious Inversion is pretty solid for defense as well as making the Harvester quite powerful offensively.
  • Confused Priorities is a sort of better version of Shardcaller, so that is to be considered.
  • Earthquake probably needs to go in just to counter enemy Earthquakes (badly designed card imo).
  • No Time is a cool card but not sure if it's a must-have.
  • Ready For Action is potentially amazing, as you can get a double Attack or double Move out of Fighters if you want. Swing with Champion -> Upgrade -> Swing again = 4 damage Cleave attack.
  • Not sure about Sacrificial Pawn. You'll have multiple targets for your opponent to attack, so it's really just to keep a forward placed dude alive for a single Activation. Not insane but not bad.
  • I'm a fan of Tantalizing Prize. Anything that lets me play to objectives or get extra movement is good, and this is both. 

Upgrades:

• Heroslayer is a better upgrade than Demonic Weapon for Petitioners, imo. Could do both, though.
  • Acrobatic is a fantastic defensive upgrade. Cursed Artifact with no downside, 2 Dodge Dice is statistically better than 1 Shield, so it makes your Warden or Champion way more survivable. Top tier.
  • New Keys is great, but 4 in a single deck feels like a lot. Might put in a third, though.
  • Awakened Weapon is just a good offensive upgrade, not much else needs to be said. +1 Damage might be more important, but if you can fit a third offensive upgrade I'd pick this one.

1 hour ago, CanHammer-darren said:

will have to see how the skaven plays, playing first game this weekend, but i almost feel like it's everything that guard wants to be....faster, able to res on any spot, and easier to inspire without using an activation

Skaven does no damage though. Only Skritch is ok at dealing damage and you need to be careful with him. Nothing like Warden/Champion/Harvester combo that Skeletons have. 

Played my first organised play event today, winning using the guard. I used the "Area Control" deck posted on the website with a few tweaks, including putting in Heroslayer. Card worked well on the petitioners, and I managed to one-shot some Stormcast on two different occasions. Played against 2 Stormcast opponents and one Khorne 

So my objective based deck hasn't changed too much. Earthquake goes in for obvious reasons. I snagged Confused Priorities because it's often useful to get Keys and stuff. I think it still performs well but I'll have a tournament in a week to test it.

I'm also considering shifting to a more combat-focused deck. There are a lot of new cards that make that type of deck archetype much stronger, especially on the defensive side of things. Curious Inversion, Last Chance, Rebound, and Acrobatic can keep your Warden or Champion alive way longer than previously, and things like (also) Curious Inversion, Fuelled by Fury, Heroslayer/Shadeglass Hammer, and Awakened Weapon can boost the damage output of your force a considerable amount. I was not sure about combat Skellies previously - I knew they were fairly popular and did well at Blood and Glory and LVO, but much preferred Objectives, but now I think there's a really solid deck to be made.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have a question. Not sure where the right place is to post it, but it involves the undead so here goes.

Lets say there are four enemies. Your Harvester charges in and is adjacent to all four enemies. So he does his attack against all four. You don't push them they stay where the are. Card phase you play Great Strength on The Harvester. Then you play the ploy ready for action. Which says "Play this after you upgrade a fighter in the action phase. They can make a move or attack action" Does this mean you get your attacks against everyone again if you choose to attack?

It's a tough match. You almost don't want to kill his guys either since they will pop up next to your Warden.

I think the Stalkers have been bypassed as a viable tournament warband. 

In one of games against friends, they can still be ok. You just have to know you are not going against Orruks or Skaven ahead of time, as both of those matchups are extremely difficult.

9 hours ago, Carnelian said:

I'm having trouble against rats. I'm trying to run an offensive deck but I can't get close enough! and since I don't get attacked, I never inspire!  anyone have any tips?

I would say that a Guard deck can use an offensive part. (Necromancer Command, Ceaseless Attack are just great and nice combos can be done with Time Trap, Ready for Action). But the objective cards are not combat focus enough to allow this band to be all about offense. Slow movement is also a strong argument against heading to win through combat.

If you play against a Skaven or a Stormcast who doesn't come to hit you first: you won't get close enough by yourself as you said. 

The Guard is built to score by holding objectives. So are the Skavens.

The plan is to defend your territory while sending our good fighter to grab one of his objectives. He will try to steal ours mostly with movement and ploys like Confusion or Distraction. 

The choice is ours: take a more viable band for an offensive approach or play the Guard without focus on the fight.

Archived