Let's chat: Ironskull's Boyz

Killax

On 19-11-2017 at 12:43 AM, Basha said:

It’s a great warband, I’ve been playing it for some time, and I really think they have a lot of potencial, I’ve got good objectives and ploys, but still have problems with my upgrades, witch are your favorits upgrades????

The upgrades I think are the best for the Orruks are actually a lot of Universal ones and those that make Gurzag and Bonekutta better. There are some other Upgrades I do like for Hakka and Basha but the only issue I've found with Gurzag and Bonekutta is that the early great offense they have can lead them deep into enemy territory and have your opponent basically stand still and try their phase to kill either of them. While that will certainly soak up two Activations when this occurs in round 1 I do think we're in big trouble. So for me added survival and some offense is the key, but offcourse added offense also leads to generally better survival. What I run now is:
- Great Strenght
- Great Fortitude
- Brutal Frenzy
- Brutal Swing
- Crush and Cleave
- Unkillable
- Waaagh!
- Daemonic Weapon
- Soultrap
- Helpful Whispers

There are two-ish Upgrades I'd certainly still want to test out more for Orruks specifically, those being Cunning Duelist (Kunnin' Duelist) and the Shadeglass weapons. However I think that the essential key to succes for this Warband remains to hit hard with Gurzag and Bonekutta while keeping them alive, ideally at all costs. What I for example underestimated is how much they do want to cover the field together. Which is why I'm thinking about Cunning Duelist as sometimes you just want to be able to get to key targets. This is especially important against Sepulchral Guard where getting to the Warden is simply said essential to secure victory.

Would love to know what kind of Objective deck you have right now! As before I still have mixed feelings about mine. I again don't mind the abscence of the Hold Objectives for Orruks but I do think that some easy to score 'one's' are very important and I am uncertain if we are provided with enough of them right now to consistantly bash with Orruks. As some misses can really lead to a quick demise if the aggro plan doesn't work out. Especially versus Stormcast it's quite possible that the aggro plan round 1 doesn't work out the way we want to. 

23 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Morning,

I've been really enjoying the Ironjawz and have been doing pretty well with them so far. Still not totally happy with my decks and will continue tinkering as I play more games (still need to play vs the Sepulchral Guard). Whilst I'm not fully comfortable with what I have at present, I can still share it later this week so you can see where I'm at with it. 

Looking forward to it Chris! Your pirates looked awesome. I think sharing the decks and ideas leads to a succesful game.

To me the essential secures are to keep Gurzag alive but ideally not have him charge in there too wildly round 1, activation 1. Bonekutta on the other hand is the more ideal man for that. Then if you also can keep Bonekutta alive the party really starts! I think that movement is the only issue Orruks can run into, which is why I want to focus even harder on that aspect with the Ploys.

Ironskull's Boyz likely have the most attacks possible of any Warband but getting there is somewhat of a different manner. While I initially cut Healing Potion and Confusion I believe they are much more essential to Orruks as I initially have credit for. It's only "another step" but they need it. Have lost a couple of games against Sepulchral Guard because I simply could not catch the model that ran on my board (thanks to Frightning Speed) which then countered both Denial and Containment which otherwise would have sealed the deal. Likewise Shardfall hurts even harder the moment you commited to killing a fighter only to find Bonekutta or Gurzag stuck in a blocked place. Especially against Stormcast and Sepulchral Guard I tend to find this happens quite fast. Logically also because they love the blocked passages. By large because of their more 'territory defence' design. 

• Like 1

Is it just me or do Ironjawz feel like they have the best Objectives in the game right now? I feel like no other Warband has Objectives that are as easy to get and mesh as well with how they play. Make 3 charges? Charge 3 different units? Kill the enemy Leader? It's all the stuff you want to do anyway.

20 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Is it just me or do Ironjawz feel like they have the best Objectives in the game right now? I feel like no other Warband has Objectives that are as easy to get and mesh as well with how they play. Make 3 charges? Charge 3 different units? Kill the enemy Leader? It's all the stuff you want to do anyway.

Its great for aggressive play but at the same time this is a hinderance if you cant reach the opponent phase 1 and to that extend that is the weakness Ive found in Orruks.

I agree that most stuff is what you want to do but when Stormcast start scoring Objectives phase 1 and you can't reach them followed by Great Strength on your opponent your in trouble.

If opponents play aggressively into you you are almost set to win but a good opponent won't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i played a small tournament in my favorite shop. I will pot my list in the end.

It was a small tournament with 8 players. i won 4 games in a row and got to the final. sadly it was to late, so the finals wasn't played (yet).  I were the only one who won all rounds.

I played against SCE, Ironskullz and Garrek's Reavers. 2 very aggresive lists, 1 mixed list and one very defensive list (nearly the one i posted in an other thread).

Please tell me your thoughts. Maybe tommorow i can sum up the fights, if you want and can tell you my intension to all cards + why i don't play some other cards.

Yes, you see right. I played with 22 Powercard. i don't know which i should drop. i like them all. 

My List:

Objektives:

1. Conquest I play aggresive and most of the time all my models are in my opponents area
  2. Swift Advance I play aggresive and most of the time all my models are in my opponents area
  3. Dere's more of us Maybe could be exchanged. Sometimes not that easy to score.
  4. Call of the waaagh! I like it. Maybe i am charging to much.
  5. Denial I play aggresive and most of the time all my models are in my opponents area
  6. Contained I play aggresive and most of the time all my models are in my opponents area
  7. Good Scrap  Maybe could be exchanged. Sometimes not that easy to score.
  8. Biggest an' da best Works good with Get da Boss and Victorious Duel
  9. Get da Boss Works good with Victorious Duel and Biggest an' da best
  10. Plant a Standard 
  11. Victorious Duel Works good with Get da Boss and Biggest an' da best
  12. Ploymaster It's fantastic for all kind of decks

Ploys:

1. Sidestep
  2. Last Lunge just one more last chop
  3. Distraction
  4. Kunnin' but Brutal mmh... free chopps
  5. Brutal but Kunnin' 
  6. 'Avin' a good time MORE Choppin'!
  7. Shattered Terrain Nice to wound your own models. Good when you make a charge, do your damage und push your target for 1 exrta damage!
  8. Healing Pot allways a good choice for models with 3+ Wounds
  9. Gorkamorka's Blessing Power Choppin'
  10. Leadin' by example Works good with Get da Boss and Biggest an' da best and Victorious Duel
  11. More Choppin' me like choppin'

Upgrades:

1. Great Strength all of them are ... great
  2. Great Fortitude all of them are ... great
  3. Great Speed (Great Names...) all of them are ... great
  4. Soultrap im not that in coinflips, but that one is very nice. compaired with Unkillable you first roll for one equipment then for the other one.
  5. Daemonic Weapon good choice for Basha and Hakka. You inflict the 1 Wound before you roll for the attack. so your Model is inspired!
  6. Unkillable im not that in coinflips, but that one is very nice. compaired with Soultrap you first roll for one equipment then for the other one.
  7. Total offence
  8. Waaagh!
  9. Army of one I am not sure about it. Most of the time this will be a "dead Card"
  10. Crush and Cleave
  11. Helpful Whispers

I think to put Flawless Strategy in. Maybe Superior Tactician. But then there are to many Objetcites scored in the 3rd round.

Edited by Bademeister
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

I'm hearing the meta (atleast in Australia) is about securing objectives, which makes your non-objective scoring deck a suprise

What do you mean? He has 12 objectives as is the rule. Do you mean the "Hold Objective 1-5" cards?
In which case the orcs don't thrive that much by standing still on objective markers - they want to bash some heads in.

Played my frist match with orcs today. Man are they though to kill! The expression on my opponents face when he realised i had 17 wounds on four guys. Damage wise I feel they are hit and miss. Ironskull and Bonekutter (inspired) are extremely deadly and will realibly kill anything they can get their hands on. Hacka and Smasha on the other hand... What are they there for? ONE damage and even when they get inspired it feels like too little to late. My opponent read them easily and just didnt attack them leaving almost useless. The objective cards are gold though. Manage to score 8 glory in round threes end phase all be charging into my opponents board and keeping him out (not too hard I feel especialy for 8 glory).

All in all I love them. I always like "reliable" lists and the Orcs fits the bill.

On 31-12-2017 at 1:13 AM, Urbanus said:

Hacka and Smasha on the other hand... What are they there for? ONE damage and even when they get inspired it feels like too little to late. My opponent read them easily and just didnt attack them leaving almost useless. The objective cards are gold though. Manage to score 8 glory in round threes end phase all be charging into my opponents board and keeping him out (not too hard I feel especialy for 8 glory).

All in all I love them. I always like "reliable" lists and the Orcs fits the bill.

Hacka and Smasha are purely there for support in my opinion :) In addition if they also are there they become very obnoxious for your opponent to deal with. The cool thing about support offcourse is that it boosts offense and defence to me this is what makes them so strong. Having 4 models is still just very ideal as all choices arn't too difficult ;) 

I absolutely agree that Orruks are a reliant Warband. Melee is where they shine and this simply plays a big part of round 2 and 3. At the same time my wins against Orruks always come from keeping them out of melee round 1, basically prefenting any Glory for my opponent and then go into round 2 all Upgraded. 

Orruks remain very potent however! They are simple and this makes them extremely good for beginner level games.

1 hour ago, Calas said:

If 'll give daemonic weapon to Hakka and 'll roll a critical damage the ability of Hakka is activated Even if He use daemonic weapon ?

Nope - that's a special rule for that particular attack. You'll notice the special rule has the headline "Choppas", meaning it's an elaboration of that attack.

On 1/7/2018 at 8:18 AM, CodFather said:

Has anyone had much luck using 'Ead Butt?  It seems pretty strong if you can get Gurzag onto an important enemy model early in the action phase.

Its an amazing attack. Only played it once against the undead army and taking out their leader for the rest of the round  was pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2018 at 10:20 AM, Killax said:

Hacka and Smasha are purely there for support in my opinion :) In addition if they also are there they become very obnoxious for your opponent to deal with. The cool thing about support offcourse is that it boosts offense and defence to me this is what makes them so strong. Having 4 models is still just very ideal as all choices arn't too difficult ;) 

As well as giving support, worth also mentioning that successful attacks means you can drive the enemy fighter back, so even if they’re not causing much damage, they can be useful for shunting enemies out of position/off objectives etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would like to have some piece of advise as I want to build a Orruk deck: what have change now the new extensions have been released?

I feel that the "dodge characteristic" bands had a buff thanks to Acrobatic, Trap etc. but I can't really figure what new card is a must have for Orruks.

Awaken weapon? Fueled by Fury?

I have another question: how good are the orruks against the new bands?

I fear that the M3 lets the Chosen Axes to get inspired and get better than the greenskins. 

Edited by Biboune

I'd be taking Earthquake for Orruks personally.  It can be a hard counter to Objective warbands - in particular nudging three Chosen Axes off their objectives in your 4th Activation to stop them inspiring.  You also need it to undo an opponent's Earthquake.  I personally see it as a must have.

There are a few cards that are good if you're going Full Aggro.  Ready for Action is universally useful.  Similarly Fuelled by Fury is a nice agro card - there are also no Rules of One in this game, so you can reroll a reroll with Gurzag for example.  And Trap is a good damage ploy to finish off a stronger enemy model.

Rebound can be helfpul - at first glance it might look like a card that swarms use against elite warbands to turn their heavy hitting on them.  But as well as being good in the mirror match, even weaker opposition fighters can seriously hurt themselves - even though they don't tend to hit as hard, they also tend to have fewer wounds.  e.g. all Skaven will leave themselves on 1 wound with Rebound, and then even the Orruk goobers uninspired (or a damage ploy) can finish them off.

Finally Spoils of Battle is always a good one.  Gives you an opportunity to the Gurzag Train rolling early if your opponent is denying you opportunities to gain glory.

Those are the ones from the new kits that I'd be looking at.

Thanks for your advices.

There is few things that I noticed: Waaagh is "+1 damage for every attack done in a phase in which [the model has] made a charge", every free attack action (Ready for Action, Time Trap...) will get this bonus.

Spoils of Battle can be nice to equip +1 movement upgrades as soon as possible. I don't like this cards for Reavers or for Skavens, but the speed is a big help for the Orruks.

The combo, Sprint+ Kunnin' But Brutal can be done with Ready for Action (thanks to Spoils of Battle, it can be done without glory point). As there is few way to deal +1 damage,  I'll take it in my deck to rush enemy leaders like the warden or Skritch.

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Goblin-King said:

Guess I'm maining orcs now

Yeah, I like Shadespire still but there doesn't seem to be an aim of balance here. By large because of how Orruks... Well completely inspire with this round 1, turn 1, or basically whenever this card is in your hand. Meanwhile everything with a ranged attack can hunt down all 2 Health models too. So basically from my standpoint both Orruks and new Stormcast are top tier now? 

Guess we have to play the 50/50 counter Ploy?