Blades of Khorne 2k list advice

Pathies

Hi guys, been a while since I've been playing AoS because of school and what not, and it seems that with the coming of GHB 2017, the goretide has skyrocketed in points and doesn't seem all that viable to build a list around. Due to this, I'm having trouble putting a list together at 2000 that I really feel good about, and was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind lending me a hand! 

Welcome to khorne, it's great engaging army with lots of builds and options as well as a lot of depth.the main rule is we build on synergies and the infantry is the star. Golden rule is to load the board with threats, something will die but whatever survives is going to cause problems - make your opponent react to uou

I guess some opening questions are

How do you like to play - Daemons are fast and choppy but fragile with a crazy murderhost alpha strike. Whereas mortals are generally slower and choppy and a bit tougher and rely on synergies more e.g. Goretide, of a mix of the two?

Are you ok painting hordes? Bloodletters and reavers are for you if not then blood warriors and skull  crushers may be more your thing

What do you own? If you have any slaves to darkness they make great additions

Some good starting points for models are the starter set which nets you a couple of key heroes and some infantry , the start collecting boxes and gore tide game.

For what it is worth here is my mortal list as it standd

Mighty lord of khorne

Blood secrator

blood stoket

slaughter priest 

slaughter priest

Valkia

10 blood warriors

10 blood warriors

20 reavers

5 wrath mongers 

5 skull reapers

3 khorgorath

Gorepilgrims

it is easy put together, it won't win prizes - at least it won't with me - but it is fun, everything does something interesting 

I plan to add other units so I can chop and change e.g. Gorechariots, deamons, more blood warriors etc

Well, I personally wouldn't mind a mix of bloodhound and demons, as I do have some demons that I can use. my only issue with running a mixed faction is that I end up trying to use multiple battalions (for example, Murderhost and gore pilgrims) together and that ends up taking up a sizable chunk of my points. If i had to pick one faction though, i would probably prefer bloodhound. I loved playing them before the GHB 2017 but with the points changes, i feel like my beloved goretide is a tad too costly to remain useful :(, although lately when really examining the bonuses that you do get (hero phase move as well as charge shenanigans), I have started to reason with myself that it could still work. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Anyways, more to the point of your questions, I don't mind painting hordes as long as I can get myself to batch paint, but I definitely prefer the more elite infantry, and I've specifically had some fun with my skull reapers and wrath mongers. Finally, I have a sizable collection of bloodhound (starter set, another 15 blood warriors, 2 squads of skull reapers, a squad of wrath mongers, 2 squads of skull crushers, juggerlord, exalted death bringer, skull grinder, slaughterpriest) and a couple daemon units (bloodthirster, bloodletters, and flesh hounds along with skull taker). I have been thinking about running some gore beast chariots or knights from Slaves for some mobility and rend, but i am not really sure. 

thanks so much for your feedback!

3 hours ago, Pathies said:

Well, I personally wouldn't mind a mix of bloodhound and demons, as I do have some demons that I can use. my only issue with running a mixed faction is that I end up trying to use multiple battalions (for example, Murderhost and gore pilgrims) together and that ends up taking up a sizable chunk of my points. If i had to pick one faction though, i would probably prefer bloodhound. I loved playing them before the GHB 2017 but with the points changes, i feel like my beloved goretide is a tad too costly to remain useful :(, although lately when really examining the bonuses that you do get (hero phase move as well as charge shenanigans), I have started to reason with myself that it could still work. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Anyways, more to the point of your questions, I don't mind painting hordes as long as I can get myself to batch paint, but I definitely prefer the more elite infantry, and I've specifically had some fun with my skull reapers and wrath mongers. Finally, I have a sizable collection of bloodhound (starter set, another 15 blood warriors, 2 squads of skull reapers, a squad of wrath mongers, 2 squads of skull crushers, juggerlord, exalted death bringer, skull grinder, slaughterpriest) and a couple daemon units (bloodthirster, bloodletters, and flesh hounds along with skull taker). I have been thinking about running some gore beast chariots or knights from Slaves for some mobility and rend, but i am not really sure. 

thanks so much for your feedback!

No problem, love talking khorne and there are some real experts here.

For battalions I think the current thoughts are to take just one as they can be quite expensive. There are 4 main choices 

Murderhost, daemon formation that adds massive speed to them. You really need to go all in with a WoK BT as general and 2 or 3 blood letter bombs. It lacks resilience without mortals.

Gorepilgrims, infantry formation seems to popular and ups the support units. Won't help with speed but your priests will be great and magic users wil hate you.

Brass stampede, mortal cavalry formation. Seems to be gaining in popularity now with the cost reduction on skullcrushers. May be your best bet for fast mortals.

Those 3 are in BoK, the fourth formation is in the Everchosen book, Bloodforged (iirc) which is a hero and 8 units (can also be heros). When a hero dies then it is replaced by a model from a unit e.g. You can make wrath mongers a hero. Might mix well with uiut elites. 

For now I am running gore pilgrims and am considering adding in some gore beast chariots myself, they synergies well with MLoK and blood stoker; you have a very good chance of getting the magic 8 on a charge for the 6 beast atttacks per model. I am thinking of a unit of 3 as they would be scary in the charge. The priests would work well with your juggernaut lord; brass skin and heal plus the rest on top of his resiliance is a unit that won't die

Knights I am less sure on but I am considering some marauder horsemen with javalins and shields. With secrator they would have 3 ranged attacks model and a 15inch movement with blood stoker, which is model I love for the speed and to wound buff - I want to take two of them.

Another fun STD unit is the lord on deamonic mount, check out his warscroll, he is a hidden gem.

5 hours ago, Praecautus said:

No problem, love talking khorne and there are some real experts here.

For battalions I think the current thoughts are to take just one as they can be quite expensive. There are 4 main choices 

Murderhost, daemon formation that adds massive speed to them. You really need to go all in with a WoK BT as general and 2 or 3 blood letter bombs. It lacks resilience without mortals.

Gorepilgrims, infantry formation seems to popular and ups the support units. Won't help with speed but your priests will be great and magic users wil hate you.

Brass stampede, mortal cavalry formation. Seems to be gaining in popularity now with the cost reduction on skullcrushers. May be your best bet for fast mortals.

Those 3 are in BoK, the fourth formation is in the Everchosen book, Bloodforged (iirc) which is a hero and 8 units (can also be heros). When a hero dies then it is replaced by a model from a unit e.g. You can make wrath mongers a hero. Might mix well with uiut elites. 

For now I am running gore pilgrims and am considering adding in some gore beast chariots myself, they synergies well with MLoK and blood stoker; you have a very good chance of getting the magic 8 on a charge for the 6 beast atttacks per model. I am thinking of a unit of 3 as they would be scary in the charge. The priests would work well with your juggernaut lord; brass skin and heal plus the rest on top of his resiliance is a unit that won't die

Knights I am less sure on but I am considering some marauder horsemen with javalins and shields. With secrator they would have 3 ranged attacks model and a 15inch movement with blood stoker, which is model I love for the speed and to wound buff - I want to take two of them.

Another fun STD unit is the lord on deamonic mount, check out his warscroll, he is a hidden gem.

Cool, thats what I was counting on! I feel like this forum is probably the most responsive and helpful that I've seen!

Yeah that makes sense, I was thinking the same thing but I guess I just wanted the gore tide to work still haha:D

Regarding the murderhost, while I like the speed it would give me, I'm not sure id want to dedicate that much of my army to daemons. I could probably do one letter bomb, but I'm not sure about three. I know that they're pretty scary for anyone going against it, but personally it doesn't appeal much to me tbh, and for the brass stampede, I love skullcrushers but I also like the  idea of having the fast shock troops get stuck in and while they're busy, having the guys on foot go in and do their thing, and I feel like brass stampedes really need to go all in on the skullcrushers!

So that would leave me with blood marked warband and gore pilgrims which both appeal to me as they both allow for a pretty flexible army design. I also feel like the bonuses for both speak to me, admittedly gore pilgrims more than blood marked though, as the increased range on the bloodsecrater is bananas, and slaughter priest become even more crazy with rerolls for prayers, whereas the Bloodmarked war band's character buff  is certainly nice, and so is the plus one attack, they both seem relatively minor in comparison. Sidenote, do you know if once a wrathmonger becomes a character he has a separate +1 attack bubble because he is now a separate unit? If So, I feel like that could be a really good way to utilize that bonus.

One battalion I was looking into was the blood forged from the BoK book, as I love the skull grinder as well as wrathmongers. and their ignoring anything under rend -2 seems pretty tasty, and so does their ability to attack with the enemy's weapon on a six! I guess I'm just curious to see if you have had any experience with it?

Yeah, I've honestly heard some pretty good things about both knights and marauder horsemen because of their ranged capability (marauder horsemen) and their addition of rend to bloodhound, who don't seem to have much among their units (knights)

I do like the lord on daemonic mount and he seems like he could really do some damage! On the other side of that though, I feel that there are already quite a few characters for bloodhound that can fill a support role or act as a beatstick if need be. Still, I agree that he is certainly worth considering, especially if I do decide to run knights and gorebeast chariots!

I was looking at blood forged and it does seem nice, not used it myself so can't comment. But could be a potent anti horde as could the skull reaper battalion.  I think if you have the figs then give it a go, khorne armies allow for innovation.

I am planning to try some marauder horsemen, but at the moment I am building some gore beast chariots. I think they could be dangerous when buffed e.g. Secrator, stoker and MLoK. I have had a thought about teleporting a buffed unit of chariots using Sayl into the back line but need to think about it some more. Could b e fun dea with that while a mirderhost runs at you ?

Regarding your question wrathmongers, I believe it would generate it seperately but don't think it would stack. This is one reason wrathmongers work well with that battalion.

Yeah, I am excited about the prospect of running that battalion! Do you have any suggestions for making it more well rounded? I would just be worried that while it would be good against hordes that it might struggle against other lists. Also, which skull reaper battalion are you referring to? the skull take or slaughter born?

I have been wondering if gore pilgrims might be better though, mostly because of the counter it provides to some of the powerful casters that seem to be in a lot of lists these days.

either way, I think that gore beast chariots would be a solid addition for some fast and hard-hitting units, and i definitely think it would put a huge amount of pressure with a murderhost!

I would need to check the BoK book, but can comeback on that later.

For blood forged wrathmongers are good for it and provide a strong anti monster element.  I am a fan of blood stokers to get across the table and slaughter priests for MW and brass skin. For battle line I prefer blood warriors, but others recomend reavers. Khorgorath provide you with a strong tank unit and you can have several in one unit - I have 3 - the damage 3 and shooting makes them mean now.

My face is gore pilgrims as it matches how I play and I like the look on the tzeentch players faces when magic shut down. 

Thanks for the suggestions! So I’ve thought about what you said and I’ve come up with a tentative bloodforged list. Let me know what you think! 

Leaders x 5

Bloodsecrator - crimson plate

Bloodstoker

Lord of khorne on juggernaut (general) - trait: violent urgency, relic: talisman of burning blood

Skullgrinder 

slaughterpriest with hackblade (I’m thinking bronzed flesh here but could also do killing frenzy, can’t decide)

Battlelines x4

Blood warriors x 10 - goreaxes w/ full command and goreglaive

Blood warriors x 10 - goreaxe/gorefist w/ full command and goreglaive

skullcrushers x 3 - bloodglaives and full command

skullcrushers x 3 - bloodglaives and champion

Battalions x 1

Bloodforged 

Other units

Gorebeast chariot x 1 - exalted charioteer and greatblade

Skullreapers x 5 - daemon weapons w/ full command and soul tearer 

Wrathmongers x 5 w/ champion

Wrathmongers x 5 w/ champion

1980 points

It looks fun list, fast and choppy - khorne approves

Give the blood secrator the tune for the auto unbound  in case you need to move him so you have some board wide antimagic.

I like bronzed flesh as it will turn your juggernaut lord into a tight tank.

You could swap skull grinder for a second priest and have both prayers, but  give both a go ?

I didn’t even notice the brazen rune, great find! I was looking for some potent anti magic, and that should definitely do the trick!

I liked bronze flesh a lot too but I also thought that killing frenzy with the juggerlord’s buff and daemon weapons would be pretty nasty, but I suppose survivability would be really good too!

I do wish I could swap the skullgrinder out for another priest, as like you said it would get me another prayer and it would also put me at 2000 points flat which is rather satisfying in itself! Haha but the  skullgrinder is required for the battalion

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve altered the list a bit, gotten rid of some of the speed and tried to get more out of the bloodforged battalion by switching some units around, namely the skullcrushers, the stoker and the gorebeast for some things with a bit more bite! I’d be interested to see what you guys think and whether or not you think I’m on the right track! Thanks!

Leaders

bloodsecrator: brazen rune 120

bloodthirster of insensate rage: mark of the slayer 260

juggerlord: general, violent urgency 140

Skullgrinder 80

slaughterpriest: killing frenzy 100

Battleline

Bloodwarriors x 10: axes, full command, glaive 200

Blood warriors  x 10: axes, full command, glaive 200

Blood warriors x 10: axe/gorefist, full command, glaive 200

Other Units

Skullreapers x 5: daemon weapons, full command, soul tearer 180

wrathmongers x 5: champion 180

wrathmongers x 5: champion 180

Battalions 

bloodforged 140

Having such a hard time getting anything out of my bloodwarriors. Probably putting them up against the wrong opponents but they hit like toddlers and have ok survivability but nothing compared to some of the real bricks in other armies.

Always curious to see what people who take a lot of them find to do with them.

are you not confusing bloodforged with the bloodmarked warband ? (the one in the everchosen book). I'm a bit lost here

for the bloodwarriors, they are a battleline unit who will win against anything of their level (except vulkites). Their ability to attack after death mean they will always gain the upper hand against liberators/ardboys, and make them a very hard counter to glass canon units like pestilens, daemonetes, or even bloodletters. "inferiors" infantry, like the bonnesplitterrz, will never win against them. Even the way more expensive zaangor will not kill them without a bit of trouble . Even if the opponent one shot you, you'll bring ldown lot of his models with you. If you strike first, it's even worse. Equivalent units without a serious support behind (reroll saves and so on) will likely loose in the long term against bloodwarriors.

They are not here to go in melee with the ennemy elite units and they will bounce against a brick wall (buffed liberators for example, treeman, etc). They are here to take the first wave of the ennemy attack, or fight and win turn after turn against light infantry/battleline ennemy units while the skullreapers and wrathmonger, with their mortal wound/rend/turning the opponent against him, are here for the elite or the big fooders youre bloodwarriors will take too long to kill (like skellies)

No I’m using the bloodforged battalion from the BoK book with the skull grinder, blood warriors, and wrathmongers! I thought the ignore rend in combat was interesting but the ability to attack with an enemy model within 3” on the roll of a 6 was pretty wild! 

Since you mentioned the Bloodmarked warband though, I am curious to know if anyone has had any success with it, considering I have seen it mentioned in several areas as one of the more competitive Battalions at our disposal, but have yet to see any builds that use it. I'm interested to hear anyone's feedback related to its viability compared to some of the heavy hitters such as Murderhost or Gore Pilgrims!

Archived