Daemon prince of ... ?

Skorvan

Hello guys,

I have a question (maybe more) for you about the daemon prince.
First of all, what we know : - He has these keywords : chaos, daemon, monster, hero, daemon prince, and can grants some others.
                                                             - In the GHB 2017, he is listing in the Slave to Darkness and the Daemon of Chaos profil and only these one.

What i suppose : - A daemon prince doesn't have the Slave to Darkness keyword but can be taken in a StD allegiance army because he is on the StD profil.

And there is my questions :
Am i right about what i suppose ? Because the fact they don't have the StD keyword is annoying for me ...
If i'm right and take a daemon prince in my StD army with the nurgle keyword, for exemple, does he turn him into a monster of nurgle (like a bloab) or into a StD monster with a mark (like chaos warriors of nurgle) ? Because if it is the first one, we need to take it as an allie and not as a StD unit.

It doesn't seems really annoying for an StD allegiance army but my point is if we are doing a Tzeentch allegiance army, for exemple, they don't have khorne, nurgle and slaanesh allie but they have StD (except nurgle).
So it's really important to know about that.

The mutalith is a monster of chaos but has an other version, the mutalith of tzeentch, who is listing into the Disciples of Tzeentch profil and can be taken as an allie in your army (if you can), but the daemon prince is not listed into these profil and it's why i'm confused ^^

Thank you for your answer and your time !

As I see it a DP is part of the StD faction, however does not have the Keyword so has no acces to the StD Allegiance.

However him not being part of the Allegiance is almost a non issue because he has no Command Ability (thus general assigment is partially wasted).

If you want to make him part of other Allegiances you can do that, as Allegiances still supercede Factions. Khorne for example has nice Artefacts for him, relevant only if you also thake a Battalion.

It all could change but this is my current vision. As is more Keyword assignments are unclear, as is a Juggernaut for example seems Mortal as the riders dont obtain Daemon Keyword from it.

Narratively speaking it also makes sence a Daemon Prince has a Chaos God patron.

Thanks for answering !

34 minutes ago, Killax said:

As I see it a DP is part of the StD faction, however does not have the Keyword so has no acces to the StD Allegiance.

That i was affraid of ... so if i take it, i can't play a StD allegiance but i need to choose a chaos allegiance ?

41 minutes ago, Killax said:

However him not being part of the Allegiance is almost a non issue because he has no Command Ability (thus general assigment is partially wasted).

If you want to make him part of other Allegiances you can do that, as Allegiances still supercede Factions. Khorne for example has nice Artefacts for him, relevant only if you also thake a Battalion.

The purpose isn't too take him as a general or benefit the chaos power aura but too determinate in which faction he stand for choosing an allegiance.

48 minutes ago, Killax said:

Narratively speaking it also makes sence a Daemon Prince has a Chaos God patron.

I'm agree with you but if we go this way, chaos warriors need too ^^

My goal with all the serie of question is to know if i can take a daemon prince of Tzeentch in a Slaanesh allegiance army. Because Host of Slaanesh can't have Tzeentch allies but can have StD allies (except khorne but it's not important for me right now).

Thank you !

You can play it with the Allegiance and it wont thake up Ally points because they are in the same faction, there just isnt any additional benifit. Likewise you can play StD and choose all flavours of marks. Its just that a Bloodsecrator is from the BoK Faction and would thake up Ally points. 

Moral is, hes part of the Slaves to Darkness Faction, doesnt have that StD Keyword though so has no acces to that Allegiance. More Warscrolls lack Keywords for Allegiances, though are in Factions.

The only way to get him into a Slaves to Darkness allegiance currently is by taking him in the Godsworn Champions of Ruin battalion (As that is a Slaves to Darkness battalion).

I think the problem the Daemon Prince has is that it straddles two factions, the Daemons of Chaos and the Slaves to Darkness. You could include a Daemon Prince in a Daemonic army, Mortal or both, but he is no mere 'Slave' to Darkness anymore, so doesn't strictly have that allegiance keyword.

Will GW ever fix this? Seems unlikely, it's been around for ever now. If it ever ends up in a Slaves to Darkness battletome (or multitome), then perhaps they'll get around to changing it.

Based on the recent FAQ on the community pages, it doesn't matter which warscrolls are listed under which faction tables — only the keywords and warscroll battalions matter for allegiances.

So yeah, if you want to use the StD allegiance abilities, any Dæmon Prince in your army will need to be taken as part of a StD warscroll battalion (i.e. the Godsword Champions of Ruin), or as an ally.

However, they've also clarified that Blades of Khorne = Khorne, Hosts of Slaanesh = Slaanesh, etc. So as long as he's marked with one of the four (and not undivided), he does qualify as an ally for StD.

It's decidedly weird that the unmarked Dæmon Prince doesn't, though.

2 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Based on the recent FAQ on the community pages, it doesn't matter which warscrolls are listed under which faction tables — only the keywords and warscroll battalions matter for allegiances.

It's decidedly weird that the unmarked Dæmon Prince doesn't, though.

For trying to understand, i read the story of the daemon prince in the chaos book.
In the monster of chaos resume, they said there is daemonic entities who do not belong to the legions of the gods. But the story of Black Kravoth said he receive a gift from the gods and became a daemon prince who fight for them (that explain why they don't have the StD keyword, they are daemon of chaos who don't serve gods but they are some who fight for them (in a godsworn battalion) so it's normal for them to receive the StD keyword).

I'm ok with that but why put them in the StD faction ? It's stupid ... but not really.
It's stupid to put them in if they don't serve the gods (one of them or all at once), Be'lakor is the perfect example, he can't be marked because is serve is own intention, so can't be a slave to any gods.
But if they do, they need to receive the StD keyword because they become slaves of the gods so Slave to Darkness like the chaos warriors and can be mark by a god.

For me, there is some solution to correctly correct that.
First one is to modify the warscroll of the daemon prince, adding daemon prince of chaos (for the one who don't take a mark) and give to him and the daemon prince of khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaanesh the keyword StD.
Or just delete him from the StD faction ... but they need to modify some warscroll or eye of the god allegiance battle trait (a lord of chaos can became a daemon prince or any StD hero with some chance). Or give him the StD keyword if they become a daemon prince by this way.

Maybe i push the button too far with this, but i'm not the only one who thought there is missing something ^^

Hope you like reading this as me !!

Archived