Pink Horrors splitting after Chaos update?

Greasygeek

Maybe it is because english is my second language or maybe I just did not get the splitting rule the first time either. Anyway I got a few questions related to the latest splitting update.  As seen on the image:

All questions are related to matched games.

1. If I want to have the splitting option for 10 x Pink Horrors. I have to pay for the Blue horrors (and any Brimstone Horrors):

A: when making my army list.

B: when they are created by splitting  as a part of my reinforcement points. 

2. When a Pink Horror is slain for the first time I may create a new unit of Blue Horrors or add them to an existing unit of Blue Horrers. So if I add them to an existing unit they are free of charge (as long ad the unit does not exceed 10 models. Correct?

3. Asuming 2 is correct. Then what happens here:? After loosing 2 pink horrors during my opponnents turn I pay the points for a full unit of 10 Blue horrors and place the 4 Blue horrors caused by the splitting. During the opponents next turn he destroys the unit of 4 Blue horrors and also kills another pink horror. Would I have to pay again for a full unit of 10 Blue  Horrors just to be able to place the next 2 blue? Effectively this means that I played for 10 Blue of which I only got 4 models. 

4. Is it correct when following the updated rules that a unit of Blue Horrors or Brimstone Horrors created by splitting  NEVER exceed 10 models? Or does the Blue Horrers just stop being free of charge (when adding to existing units) if the unit exceed 10 models?

Hope my questions make sense I think that I am still just a little confused about the rules for splitting.

image.jpeg

1. It should be B: i think, using reinforcement / summoning points.  Some people though list the unit and inform the opponent they will be deployed as summoning, not sure on the legality of that but as long as you are told before any deployment starts then its the same thing, just a bit more restricting for the Horror player as they can use those point for any other summoning.

2. Correct.

3. If your opponent kills the 4 blue  and you lose the unit, then when you go to add blues to it at the end of the phase, there is no unit to add too, at least thats how i read it.  

4. It says you cant add above 10, but it doesnt say anything that you cant start above 10?  So if you split 10 pinks in one go to make a unit of 20 blues? (paid for obviously).

1. If you are running 1000 points and are bringing 10 Blue Horrors and 20 Brimstone Horrors you have to include them as 90 points of those 1000. 

Following your example: when your first 2 Pink Horrors die you bring in your Blue horrors; now this is where it gets tricky because if only 2 Pink Horrors died in that combat phase you only get to bring in 4 Blue horrors, but already burned through your 10 Blue Horror reinforcement points, because you only paid 50 points for 1 unit (it's not per model). If more Pink Horrors die during the same Combat phase you can add more blue horrors to that first unit, unless you paid more points for more units. I set aside 100 points for Blue horrors so I get 2 units, same with the Brimstone Horrors I pay 80 points to get 2 units. 

On to your last point; you can create a unit of up to 20 brimstone horrors if a unit of 10 pink horrors is wiped out, but you can't add more than 10 to any individual unit of Blue Horrors previously created. 

It's definitely B, all new unit summoning (unless there's an exception lurking out there), is paid out of Reinforcement points. Reinforcement points only have to be designated as points, not units which is their one and only advantage if your army supports multiple summoning options, that you can bring in the right unit for the task at hand.

1. You don't need to declare the blues and brimstones. You just spend the points if/when you need them. This way you can always decide to summon something else. 

2. Correct 

3. Yep, you lose the unit. 

4. A unit of blues could exceed 10 models, but only if it's starting number of models was over ten. First example, if the enemy kills six or more pinks and you split them all into a unit of blues. 

Splitting is the best rule Tzeentch have - it's the lynchpin to the whole army. It delays the enemy from getting to the squishy damage dealers of the army.

Mostly you either use Changehost then move then charge or Summon then Destiny Dice Charge to lob Pinks into one or more enemy units. They get (mostly) wiped out but dump the Blues in place to block them in their hero phase, movement and shooting phase. Eventually the Brims complete the job.

There is still some doubt as to what the part of the rule about "any rule" wiping out the unit (other than Battleshock) - it's not clear whether this covers regular attacks wiping them out or is meant to deal with special rules like jumping through a Realmgate. Split is stronger if the Blues arrive at the end of the combat phase.

15 hours ago, Nico said:

Splitting is the best rule Tzeentch have - it's the lynchpin to the whole army. It delays the enemy from getting to the squishy damage dealers of the army.

Mostly you either use Changehost then move then charge or Summon then Destiny Dice Charge to lob Pinks into one or more enemy units. They get (mostly) wiped out but dump the Blues in place to block them in their hero phase, movement and shooting phase. Eventually the Brims complete the job.

There is still some doubt as to what the part of the rule about "any rule" wiping out the unit (other than Battleshock) - it's not clear whether this covers regular attacks wiping them out or is meant to deal with special rules like jumping through a Realmgate. Split is stronger if the Blues arrive at the end of the combat phase.

I agree. Skyfires etc are great, but splitting horrors are the best unit Tzeentch have. If you position your starting horrors to effectively protect and bubble wrap key units, you can completely control the game.

Splitting horrors won me two of three games at the Howling (I talked about it on Tales of Sigmar Episode 22 ?). 

Opponents with combat heavy lists really struggle to cope because they can't shoot them off in advance. 

Archived