Slaanesh Cavalry Army Concept (2k)

themortalgod

So was thinking about the combo for Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic mount and hellstrider enrapturing banner combo to give enemies -2 to hit. The idea is to run them in little clumps like this:

K K K L K K 

H H H H H

(K being knights, L being the Lord and H being Hellstriders)

This allows for anything I charge into to get -2 to hit from being near the enrapturing standard and the Lord. The Hellstriders would be given scourges so they can attack from behind the knights. Then on top of that since I have 3 generals for being slaanesh, all 3 units of knights will get to attack twice. Not to mention MW for charging thanks to the warscroll battalion

List:

1x Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount - General - Allure of Slaanesh - 140

1x Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount - General - Icon of Infinite Success - 140

1x Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount - General - Enrapturing Circlet - 140

1x Chaos Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Slaanesh

5x Chaos Knights - Slaanesh - Chaos Glaives - 160pts

5x Hellstriders of Slaanesh - Scourges, Enrapturing Standard - 100pts

Marauder Horsemen - Javelins - Slaanesh - Damned Icon - 90pts

Gorebeat Chariot - Slaanesh - 100pts

Ruinbringer Warband - 180pts

General idea is to use the combo above to control the board with super resilient close combat clumps, then the Horsemen race down flanks to harass and snipe out heroes. Ideally would also line up for a single glorious charge from everything to trigger ruinbringer warband and do a ton of MWs. Thoughts? Gorebeast chariot because I just really love the model hahaha.

If you swap a Lord of Slaanesh mounted for the regular mounted lord, you could give one unit of knights +1 to hit, extra attack on 5-6 and pile in twice. Add in a daemonic power spell and re roll all the ones = profit. 

Forgot to to say add a Lord of Slaanesh on foot

4 minutes ago, Edgecoc said:

If you swap a Lord of Slaanesh mounted for the regular mounted lord, you could give one unit of knights +1 to hit, extra attack on 5-6 and pile in twice. Add in a daemonic power spell and re roll all the ones = profit.

Hmm, interesting, how does he give the extra attack on 5/6s? Isn't that the command ability of the normal Slaanesh lord on foot? Or am I missing something?

Though I am still pretty fond of the -2 to hit combo, that makes the knights pretty resilient. 

Doesn't Ruinbringer require a Lord of Chaos on a Daemonic mount? It's not bolded so I don't know that you can replace with a Lord of Slaanesh on a Daemonic Mount. If that's true, I would recommend combining 1 unit of knights to 10 and keep a lord on each side so you can double command one unit for a massive turn

1 minute ago, SugarMaple82 said:

Doesn't Ruinbringer require a Lord of Chaos on a Daemonic mount? It's not bolded so I don't know that you can replace with a Lord of Slaanesh on a Daemonic Mount. If that's true, I would recommend combining 1 unit of knights to 10 and keep a lord on each side so you can double command one unit for a massive turn

Oh jeez, thats a good point. hmm, I always forget that they are technically different units. hmm, yeah perhaps il do that, though, the 12" general proximity rule makes that a bit challenging. 

I have a similar list idea that I'm working on, it seems pretty easy to do to start the turn  

Lord on a Daemonic Mount -6" -> Knights-6"-> Lord of Slaanesh for the command phase, get both buffs on the 10x knight unit  and you keep the buffs during the combat phase, even if the lord are within 12" of each other

edit: key to note the Daemonic mount lords are the same cost so it doesn't mess with the list besides that

4 minutes ago, SugarMaple82 said:

I have a similar list idea that I'm working on, it seems pretty easy to do to start the turn  

Lord on a Daemonic Mount -6" -> Knights-6"-> Lord of Slaanesh for the command phase, get both buffs on the 10x knight unit  and you keep the buffs during the combat phase, even if the lord are within 12" of each other

Interesting, I do wonder if the warscroll battalion i worth the pts as well, its not a huge part of the combo and 180pts is a lot, I wonder if a coordinated charge even does enough MWs to even justify it?

7 minutes ago, SugarMaple82 said:

I think so, the possibilities with marauder horsemen sounds awesome in my mind. Also with a unit of 10, knights, adding d6 mortal wounds to the charge sounds really strong to tear through hordes since the list is lacking in objective holders

I guess it depends on the situation, but really its 180pts for max 8D3 MW assuming every unit in the army charges. (or 6D3 + D6 if a big unit of knights) (About 12 MW total on average) seems steep the more I think about it, but also gotta figure in the value of fewer drops and the extra magic item I guess.

Compare to say an Allied Gaunt Summoner for 120pts that against bigger units can do that many MWs per turn against big horde clumps.

I'm also thinking one big weakness of the army will be chaffe, since the army is so dependant on that one mega charge, if the enemy has a front line of throwaway chaffe, the charge won't be nearly as impactful, wondering what could be done to mitigate that.  Maybe swap to swords instead of glaives on the knights, less deadly charge but more potent in situations where you face inevitable counter charges. 

Again, I'd think the charges may help with that, especially because you can charge during the hero phase - MW helps to clear out the front line and then you charge in the charge phase to reach the targets you're actually aiming for. With such a heavy cav list, the MW to clear the front line is actually what made me look at the battalion.

2 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Hmm, interesting, how does he give the extra attack on 5/6s? Isn't that the command ability of the normal Slaanesh lord on foot? Or am I missing something?

Though I am still pretty fond of the -2 to hit combo, that makes the knights pretty resilient. 

+1 to hit from mounted lord and extra attacks from Lord of Slaanesh on foot.

-3 to hit the Lord of Slaanesh on daemonic mount with the trait and hellstriders behind him.

3 hours ago, Edgecoc said:

+1 to hit from mounted lord and extra attacks from Lord of Slaanesh on foot.

-3 to hit the Lord of Slaanesh on daemonic mount with the trait and hellstriders behind him.

Yeah, so would be more than just swapping out the slaanesh lord of demon mount for chaos lord on daemon mount. Would have to add in the slaanesh lord on foot as well. (plus the foot guy would be too slow to keep up with the army). Essentially trading 3 smaller desthstars for single mega one. I think I'd prefer the 3 smaller ones, more versatile and less eggs in one basket they can just MW spam into the ground.

And yup, def aware of the -3 to hit onto my slaanesh lord ondaemonic steed :) Basically invincible in close combat :) 

23 hours ago, themortalgod said:

So was thinking about the combo for Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic mount and hellstrider enrapturing banner combo to give enemies -2 to hit. The idea is to run them in

I do this in my Path to Glory warband and the resiliency is pretty good.  I have the lord with the Fiends and the Hellstriders behind them.  It doesn't stop enough of the mass attacks but any -2 to-hit on the special single attacks can really alter the value of what your enemy is paying for in that unit.  

I'm a big fan of it personally but maybe I just haven't hit a tournament player who can ruin my day.

Been thinking more on the list and I've come up with an alternative build for it that I think might be a bit stronger. The other build felt like if each knight unit lost 1 or 2 models to shooting all of a sudden you just don't have much hitting power. New list:

Slaanesh Lord on Daemonic Mount - Allure of Slaanesh - General - 140pts

Slaanesh Lord on Daemonic Mount - Enrapturing Circlet - General - 140pts

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - Slaanesh - General - 200pts

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - Slaanesh - 200pts

Gaunt Summoner with Familiars - 120pts (Allied from Everchosen)

10x Chaos Knights - Slaanesh, Glaives - 320pts

10x Chaos Knights - Slaanesh, Ensorceled Weapons - 320pts

5x Hellstriders - Enraptured Banner, Scourges - 100pts

5x Hellstriders - Enraptured Banner, Scourges - 100pts

10x Marauders - 60pts

10x Marauders - 60pts

5x Seekers of Slaanesh - 120pts

5x Seekers of Slaanesh - 120pts

Total: 2000pts

I feel like this new build is a bit more robust, Also I noticed for only 40pts more a sorcerer lord can ride a manticore and be way less vulnerable and a threat in the combat phase :) You lose the spell to get as many re-rolls on the knights but you can still dump the re-roll saves of 1 on each unit of knights from the ability. Ideally, one Sorcerer Lord would be throwing the sorcerer lord on manticore spell which actually has decent MW potential and the other using mystic shield. 

I added in an Allied gaunt summoner for additional mortal wound damage and the ability to chunk really big units which this army currently suffers from. 

Then I moved to two larger death stars of knights instead of 3 smaller ones. One has glaives and will be my hammer while the other has ensorcelled weapons and will be tasked with engaging situations where a counter charge is expected. 

Marauders get the job as cheap objective holders and with my last bit of points, I added in some seekers for some really fast flank harassment that can zip around, try to block counter charges or race into the back line to threaten things like war machines and buff heroes who avoid the thick of the fighting. Toying with the idea of dropping one unit of Seekers in favor of a balewind vortex for the gaunt summoner to keep him safer and increase his threat, but not sure. 

Another alternative build would be to drop the marauders, seekers, and Gaunt summoner for a 30 man unit of chaos warriors to just play the, "good luck" killing us game to control the board with inspiring presence on them.

10 minutes ago, Edgecoc said:

I would make the marauders one unit. The 30 man warrior unit will be next toimpossible to kill, so maybe use them for objectives.

What would I gain from joining the marauder units? Perhaps I'm missing something. They don't get much stronger at the 20man level, (16% better chance to get +1 to hit) and as soon as one guy dies that goes away. The downside is that a single unit is less versatile and more vulnerable to battle shock than two smaller units.

1 hour ago, Edgecoc said:

It's mostly how quickly 10 of them can disappear. Battleshock is a ****** with those guys.

Ah, in my experience MSU tends to be less vulnerable to battleshock than bigger units. If I have 2 units of 10 side by side, and one unit takes 8 casualties the most I can lose to battleshock is 2. But if its one unit of 20 and I lose 8, then I can lose up to 7 more to shock. (Bravery 5 + 1 for being over 10 models and +1 for the banner)

2 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Ah, in my experience MSU tends to be less vulnerable to battleshock than bigger units. If I have 2 units of 10 side by side, and one unit takes 8 casualties the most I can lose to battleshock is 2. But if its one unit of 20 and I lose 8, then I can lose up to 7 more to shock. (Bravery 5 + 1 for being over 10 models and +1 for the banner)

Yeah, that's a good point. I will try it next game.

33 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

I think where really big units can pay off is when you can get inspiring presence on them, then they can tarpit pretty effectively. 

I usually do that one turn 2. I always use the run and charge ability in my knights, everyone seems to forget how quick they can be with decent rolls.

On 10/15/2017 at 3:34 PM, themortalgod said:

So was thinking about the combo for Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic mount and hellstrider enrapturing banner combo to give enemies -2 to hit. The idea is to run them in little clumps like this:

K K K L K K 

H H H H H

(K being knights, L being the Lord and H being Hellstriders)

This allows for anything I charge into to get -2 to hit from being near the enrapturing standard and the Lord. The Hellstriders would be given scourges so they can attack from behind the knights. Then on top of that since I have 3 generals for being slaanesh, all 3 units of knights will get to attack twice. Not to mention MW for charging thanks to the warscroll battalion

List:

1x Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount - General - Allure of Slaanesh - 140

1x Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount - General - Icon of Infinite Success - 140

1x Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount - General - Enrapturing Circlet - 140

1x Chaos Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Slaanesh

Gorebeat Chariot - Slaanesh - 100pts

Ruinbringer Warband - 180pts

General idea is to use the combo above to control the board with super resilient close combat clumps, then the Horsemen race down flanks to harass and snipe out heroes. Ideally would also line up for a single glorious charge from everything to trigger ruinbringer warband and do a ton of MWs. Thoughts? Gorebeast chariot because I just really love the model hahaha.

I don't think you can  bring that battalion with slaanesh allegiance. Ruinbringer is for StD..... if you use it, you lose the slaanesh abilities.

As far as I know, [unless I've forgotten something :$] the only battalion for slaanesh is found in he ever chosen book-pleasurebound.

At any rate, the Lord would only be at -2, nobody else. Also, I'm unsure as to the stackability  of the double pile in.....

20 hours ago, themortalgod said:

What would I gain from joining the marauder units? Perhaps I'm missing something. They don't get much stronger at the 20man level, (16% better chance to get +1 to hit) and as soon as one guy dies that goes away. The downside is that a single unit is less versatile and more vulnerable to battle shock than two smaller units.

Pleasurebound battalion gives +2 to bravery. 40 marauders with the banner, battalion buff and +3 for multiples of ten in unit= bravery 12. All for 200 pts.xD.

With M6 they fit in with slaanesh very well. I keep extolling the virtues of these guys. They are almost always included in my lists in some form.

1 hour ago, Tasman said:

Pleasurebound battalion gives +2 to bravery. 40 marauders with the banner, battalion buff and +3 for multiples of ten in unit= bravery 12. All for 200 pts.xD.

With M6 they fit in with slaanesh very well. I keep extolling the virtues of these guys. They are almost always included in my lists in some form.

They need to be in multiples of six though, so 36 would be the number you need. 30 is more economical points wise though.

Archived