Shadespire in the timeline. Odd detail on Obryn's base.

Shrimpy40k

Do we know when Shadespire is set?  If memory serves, the Stormcasts got across the desert at the end of the audio dramas and Severin Steelheart is mentioned in the "Skirmish" supplement as being in the city, which suggests the game takes place around the end of the Realmgate wars.  However, Obryn's base has the head of a ruined Stormcast statue which would indicate a much later time.  Could be absolutely nothing and maybe I've too much time on my hands, but it's an interesting detail and could be significant.  Just thought it was cool.

01.jpg

I noticed that immediately as well.

IMO it's a design mistake to have the Stormcast Head on the base. Stormcast would not have existed when the Nagash ripped the soul out of Shadespire and it became a desolate city. It wouldn't even make sense to have a Stormcast statue in the real ruined city of Shadespire, let alone the one in limbo.

So probably just GW doing Stormcast stuff for the sake of doing Stormcast stuff and not putting enough thought into it.

19 hours ago, Killax said:

One of the cool things I think Shadespire adds is that feels like its own demension that doesnt seem affected by time. You die and live again and all that :) We'll see how the narrative unfolds!

Yeah this is how I see it as well. The game is set in a dimension between light and shadow realms, which has trapped all the original inhabitants of Shadespire, plus anybody who ventures to the fallen city and falls between the cracks.

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2017 at 3:18 AM, someone2040 said:

I noticed that immediately as well.

IMO it's a design mistake to have the Stormcast Head on the base. Stormcast would not have existed when the Nagash ripped the soul out of Shadespire and it became a desolate city. It wouldn't even make sense to have a Stormcast statue in the real ruined city of Shadespire, let alone the one in limbo.

So probably just GW doing Stormcast stuff for the sake of doing Stormcast stuff and not putting enough thought into it.

I assmed it was intensional. The statues in Shadespire were made long before Stormcast existed.

The Stormcast were made to look like the statues of saints and heroes from the Age of Myth, so the free people recognise them as the good guys.

It makes sense: it's the perfect PR for an invading army: make the people you are "liberating" believe you are on their side, just by looking at you. 

Also thinking, Sigmar himself at the dawn of the ages AoS lore is set in beat the stuffing out of masses of enemies to bring in that long reign of peace. He had his hammer and perhaps he had a suit of armour (including a helm). So it's a statue of sigmar?

All stormcast outfitted in his image?

Well as we can see on the models all bases are different and clearly not in the same area.

I wouldnt look too much into it, its a nice base because they wanted the kits to be plug and play and you cant do that with the generic bases. This way they look all the more cooler.

Archived