The Airbrush thread: one clean at a time!

Thebiggesthat

So given the conversation in the GT thread, I thought it sensible to start this!

I've just bought an airbrush and it's been a massive eye opening. The potential is huge, but it's also a new discipline that you need to learn. 

So what I'm looking for is good online resources, and user friendly guidance to help take me, and anyone else taking the plunge, to the next level.

The brush I bought was the Iwata Revolution, and an Iwata compressor. Very impressed so far!

5 hours ago, Vaux said:

I would recommend looking up Kenny Boucher aka Next Level Painting on Youtube. He has tons of helpful videos on his channel regarding airbrushing and painting in general.

Find him fantastic too. I don't have the same style as him, but I have stolen many of his techniques and adapted them to my own with great results... oh and just remember he's not a scientist he just knows what looks good ;)

Another person is buypainted on youtube, although he hasn't made videos in a long time you can see many different techniques and colours being done by him (think he has close to 200 vids) and it's quite useful to see what can be done.

And other person I like to watch is thirdeyenuke studio (again on youtube), she does very realistic work and it has honestly changed the way I've looked at a lot of models. Here's some examples of her work below :)

04f21527da20a61d-krullwip2.jpg

c214b5d690c1a021-Ironjaws2.jpg

horuspex2_edited-2.jpg

Yup! Kenny is a good resource. But I'd say, take a box of figures or unit that you don't care awfully a lot about and just try ****** out on. The most valuable resource you'll ever have is failure. Learn from them. Try different thins and and thinks to know what the best place is to be. Too thin and it'll just take forever and you risk just having the paint sink into the cracks and clog detail. Too thick and, well, paint won't come out the hole. 

But it's important to get stuff like that under your belt. And even Kennys theoretical speeches won't teach you those types of measurements.

Knowing also how the airbrush works technically helps to prevent too many involuntary mishaps. :) 

good luck! 

You're not going to go far wrong with an Iwata airbrush :) 

I'd say that some of Kenny's earlier work is easier to listen to than his more recent stuff (especially the 3~4 hour long Twitch sessions, which are painful).  I also find his brush work is sloppy and frustrating to watch :S

@Lysandestolpe is right in saying that jumping in is your best bet.  I'd suggest random pieces of terrain rather than a unit though as I've found I learn a lot more when working on a large piece than on a small one.  When I first got my airbrush there were very few resources about, the first one that I managed to pick up was the original Forge World Masterclass book - that an a mate's Baneblade tank taught me mountains!  Not just on using the airbrush, but also using it in addition to other techniques and you can use it for effects too - airbrush black ink and you get an oil effect, black can be soot etc.

The next big learning curve for me was a Temple of Skulls and Kenny's Weathertop YouTube videos.  These provide a really good foundation on when to do things because they look realistic and when to do things because they look good and how to use the airbrush to put dirt layers down and then blend them in with other layers and brushwork.

One thing I would recommend is to pick up some Tamiya masking tape.  Although this seems like an extravagance, it's a high-stick low-tack tape which rarely (if ever) lifts the paint.  You can "de-tack" regular masking tape on some cloth (or forehead), but you risk adding fibres (or grease) onto you paint job.  Red is very susceptible to grease ;)  Another useful item is White Tack, this is like regular Blu Tack but doesn't leave a nasty residue behind.

On 10/15/2017 at 9:29 PM, Waizer said:

Another person is buypainted on youtube, although he hasn't made videos in a long time you can see many different techniques and colours being done by him (think he has close to 200 vids) and it's quite useful to see what can be done.

I watch Buypainted just to relax.

For me, its just enjoying the process of watching a master at work, the cool Dracula accent and relaxing music. I don't feel like a learn much though, as his level is so far beyond mine.

For me, it feels more like watching an exhibition of painting than something I can actually learn much from. Obviously a higher-level painter may potentially glean more from his videos though.

Archived