Let’s Chat: The State of Narrative Play

HobbyHammer

I enjoyed listening to it. I think you brought up a very good point about all the great battleplans in the campaign books.  Why are they not re-used by more narrative events/players?  I know myself I enjoy playing through them re-creating the battles with new armies or mixing matching with times of war rules.  It does seem that many narrative players ignore them, as do match play gamers.  Where does that leave players like myself who really enjoy them?

1 hour ago, chord said:

I enjoyed listening to it. I think you brought up a very good point about all the great battleplans in the campaign books.  Why are they not re-used by more narrative events/players?  I know myself I enjoy playing through them re-creating the battles with new armies or mixing matching with times of war rules.  It does seem that many narrative players ignore them, as do match play gamers.  Where does that leave players like myself who really enjoy them?

Think it leaves you in a position to get them going at your club. Before GHB, it was all we played down our club. Now the Pitched Battle Battleplans are out, these seem to be all that the club plays. Interested to get playing more of them, I have played most of them now, but still have some in GodBeasts and All gates to go. 

58 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

Think it leaves you in a position to get them going at your club. Before GHB, it was all we played down our club. Now the Pitched Battle Battleplans are out, these seem to be all that the club plays. Interested to get playing more of them, I have played most of them now, but still have some in GodBeasts and All gates to go. 

Thank you for the response, unfortunately  there are no clubs in my area of the US.   

3 hours ago, chord said:

Thank you for the response, unfortunately  there are no clubs in my area of the US.   

That's when you may need to work on starting one. I was the only AoS player in my whole region. I ran some demo games for a couple friends and got them interested enough to play.

Now one guy in our club goes to tournaments and paints some great stuff, and he credits/blames me for getting him started. Although my club also has a strong narrative flavor, and I think that's my fault. ?

You can do it with some patience and tenacity!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 11:15 AM, chord said:

I've very very rarely seen ANY clubs in the US.  That seems to be a UK/European thing, the idea of the "game club".  Here in the US it's 99% the community at a game store.  Like in my area AOS is practically a dead game, since GH2017 nobody has played much, if any, games of it.  The FLGS removed AOS open play day, the AOS (read: non-40k) stuff is in a corner with the other unsold games, and it's gone to be a 40k shop only, pretty much.

1 minute ago, wayniac said:

I've very very rarely seen ANY clubs in the US.  That seems to be a UK/European thing, the idea of the "game club".  Here in the US it's 99% the community at a game store.  Like in my area AOS is practically a dead game, since GH2017 nobody has played much, if any, games of it.

Yeah pretty much the same.  Seems my area is not into tournaments or very competitive stuff, which means GHB2017 did not boost AOS (the opposite actually I think)

Just now, chord said:

Yeah pretty much the same.  Seems my area is not into tournaments or very competitive stuff, which means GHB2017 did not boost AOS (the opposite actually I think)

Funnily enough the same here.  GH2017 was not well received, a lot of people are saying how it "ruined" the game in fact, I think exactly because this area is not competitive.  The irony here being that there's an answer to that problem (not going back to GHB1 as some people have indicated here...) in just not using matched play, but then people are too afraid of it being imbalanced.  So they want balance, but they don't want balance...

Just now, wayniac said:

Funnily enough the same here.  GH2017 was not well received, a lot of people are saying how it "ruined" the game in fact, I think exactly because this area is not competitive.  The irony here being that there's an answer to that problem (not going back to GHB1 as some people have indicated here...) in just not using matched play, but then people are too afraid of it being imbalanced.  So they want balance, but they don't want balance...

Agreed,  we tend to use rough points for balance, have steered clear of all the GHB2017 matched play battleplans. We prefer the realmgate wars battleplans or the GHB2016 matched play ones.  If a narrative one calls for one side to have more we determine the extra points they get based on the scenario.

11 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I've very very rarely seen ANY clubs in the US.  That seems to be a UK/European thing, the idea of the "game club".  Here in the US it's 99% the community at a game store.  Like in my area AOS is practically a dead game, since GH2017 nobody has played much, if any, games of it.  The FLGS removed AOS open play day, the AOS (read: non-40k) stuff is in a corner with the other unsold games, and it's gone to be a 40k shop only, pretty much.

I think this may be better in another section of the forum. But I have built a Club in my area of the USA. What I and a Friend did, was build it on Facebook. Its a Private group that we invite pepole we want to play who live in the local area, from this pool of players we organise events and club nights. (We even have Club Shirts). This helped break the play away from just the stores gaming nights (although we still attend and support the events at shops). But it gives us the flexablity to on occasion rent our own space, and play leagues just among ourselves. 

Feel free to message me more and I will give you help if you want! 

Archived