Hobby Accidents And Diasters

TheWilddog

Was converting my Abhorrent Ghoul King On TG today and really got myself with the xacto knife, I guess my GK wanted his pound of flesh.  However, it got me thinking about all my hobby accidents and disaster over the years, from cuts to knocked over bottles of wash and hunks of resin flying like shrapnel.  Just wanting to hear about all your hobby mishaps so can assure myself I am not totally klutzy.  

It's not just you!  Over the yeras, I have had plenty of issues with spills and stabs in the line of hobbying.  Over the years, I have done the following myself:

• Stabbed myself on multiple occasions in the end of my thumb with a pinning drill while drilling out barrels of Space Marine boltguns, with various amounts of bruising or bleeding.
  • Stabbed myself in the end of my thumb with a Space Wolf toothy bit while drilling out barrels of Space Marine boltguns - first and only time so far that I have drawn blood on a model!
  • Dropped a heavy pewter model on my foot while trying to assemble it, and then having to repair the bent, damaged bits.
  • Spilled various pots of paint and shades/washes over the years, once getting some on my mattress that spilled down my leg and got on my feet, another time I spilled some paint on my pants that soaked through to my ski.
  • Accidentally dropping a model with still-wet shade on it straight into my rinse water.  Mostly just aggravating, as I had to wait for it to dry before painting more.
  • Closing my carrying case wrong on one of my Space Wolves models, breaking the icon on his pack off at the stem. 

Painting and modelling wise i'm unscathed. *knocks on wood. Had a couple of close calls but i'm very scared of damaging the table (my girl got it for her graduation and it's her most prized possesion). *Almost forgot, two months ago the tip of my hobby knife broke and shot across the room. No personal damage done but i'm lucky it show away from me as it ended up stuck in the chair opposite of me. 

When playing however... can't count the amount of times a dreadspear spear managed to get underneath the skin around my nails or under the nails themselves. Not to mention the bumps and bruises I gave myself when I almost nocked something over and tried to save a model. :S

But the spearsmen in a big block are the worst :D

The exothermic (heat) reation of superglue drying can get really hot.  Like, hot enough that if a suitable quantity is spilled on polyester carpeting, it will smoke.  And the other half that spilled on your jeans leg will make you strip them off in a real hurry.

Managed to slice up a finger pretty good while working on Khorne Chaos models ... 

multiple other minor cuts while cleaning up mould lines ... moved to GW scraping tool for removing flash and mould lines from models ... (many fewer cuts)

Didn’t completely tighten down lid on bottle of Agrax Earthshade... put bottle in paint box ... ended up with over half a bottle drained into the bottom of the painting box.... and all over the other paint pots.

Also managed to put a pin-vise still bit into finger. 

Accidentally ended up with Chaos black paint on a bright dress shirt ... (painting after work ... and hadn’t swapped out to scruffy painting stuff.)

I’m sure there’s more .... so yeah ... it happens to all of us.

At least you didn’t accidentally reprime your model in corax white ... thinking that you were putting on purity seal ... we had a guy at the Local shop do that .... 

Thanks for sharing your guys' hobby mishaps. Friday (the 13th as it were) was just not my hobby day.  After getting myself with my xacto knife in the afternoon, that evening I was having a casual game with my son in the garage and knocked my old metal Doomwheel off the table. It hit the garage floor, shattered into a dozen pieces.  Ugh, should have just stayed in bed that day.    

Shot alot og superglue on my privates by acident a couple of weeks ago. Still a little affected by it....

learned me to never paintNstuff in no more than an one piece. Or just you know, use to table instead of cringing down in to a ball of frustration when struggling...

nvm what i learned was dont be an idiot and handle superglue with care...

Wanted to try out orcs for skirmish. Converted the megaboss into an even bigger megaboss. Inspected my work with approval, proceeded to drop my cutting knife straight down into my thigh. It flagpoled. (Do not hold your citadel cutting knife pointing downwards, those are really slippery at the worst of times)

I then stabbed myself in the other leg almost immediately after patching the first injury. Sensing the disapproval of Gork (or Mork) I switched to Skaven :P

2 hours ago, Tomir said:

Shot alot og superglue on my privates by acident a couple of weeks ago. Still a little affected by it....

learned me to never paintNstuff in no more than an one piece. Or just you know, use to table instead of cringing down in to a ball of frustration when struggling...

nvm what i learned was dont be an idiot and handle superglue with care...

I know it's something some members of the community do, but why are you hobbying naked? I usually wear gym shorts solely to keep extras from getting in the last of my hair.

I think in my @15 years in the hobby I've done all these wonderful things :)

My most recent catastrophe, I was painting on air with some friends (paintisode) and knocked over a full bottle of Plastruct Plastic Weld all over my models and keyboard. For those of you who aren't familiar with what that is, it's a type of glue that basically melts plastic. I haven't added up the cost in models destroyed, but my new keyboards was $100. Poor, melted keys!

Archived