The rogue Idol in destruction lists

Razor32

Hi Guys. I went ahead and bought the Rogue Idol for my destruction armies as i really like the model. Have anyone used it in either Bonesplittaz or Ironjawz army yet? 

I am really trying to squeez him in on the ironjawz list as a bravery buff for my 15-20 brutes. But then i have to drop my Cabbage, and i dont really like that trade off. Have any of you used him succesfully in a list? 

Cheers

Allegiance: Destruction
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
Rogue Idol (400)
- Allies

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400

Litterally no need to drop the cabbage :D

I imagine bonesplittz would be a better army for it due to relative cost per model and a greater focus on wizards than ironjawz.

You also don't have the cabbage to lose in splittaz

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
- Bonesplitterz Battleline
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (160)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)
- Allies

Battalions
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (160)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1960 / 2000

A bonesplittz army list designed around taking advantage of the rogue idol spell casting.

Hi @Razor32,

I am currently painting up my Rogue Idol. It's more for fun and something different as opposed to try to build a strong list though. Basically I'll be dropping my Spear Chukkas and one unit of Gore-gruntas from my Facehammer list (which I think we can agree is a good list) and we'll see how that plays out;

Cabbage - 460
Shaman - 120
Warchanter - 80
Warchanter - 80

10 Brutes - 360
5 Brutes - 180
5 Brutes - 180
3 Gore-gruntas - 140

Rogue Idol - 400

That's 2,000 points on the nose. I think the list may miss the second Grunta unit as they were key to the way I played the proper version of the list. So you could swap out 5 Brutes for them, this also frees up 40 points for a triumph. However with the Idol I think MSU Brutes is perhaps a solid way to go...though I do not like the look of lists without that 10 strong Brute unit tbh!

This is most likely the list I'll run at the Cheltenham Warchiefs GT in November as they have a monster hunter theme going on....the only thing putting me off is my round one grudge with @Sangfroid haha! Need to make sure he's taking something suitably poorer himself else I'll get steamrolled and he'll take my hat!! xD

Hi Chris. 

This seems like a pretty fun idea. I will drop one unit of brutes for 10 ardboys (due to the models i have finished painting) I am a little worried about the missin ironfist. But i think i will give this list a go tonight. Thanks for the good unput guys 

56 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)

Battleline
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (160)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)
- Allies

Battalions
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (160)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1960 / 2000

A bonesplittz army list designed around taking advantage of the rogue idol spell casting.

This seems like great fun, and will make sure to try out this list soon.

3 minutes ago, Razor32 said:

I am a little worried about the missin ironfist. But i think i will give this list a go tonight.

Yeh I think to get around the lack of the Ironfist you probably do need to play with 2 units of Gruntas. Perhaps I would revise my list to be 3x 5 Brutes and 2x 3 Gore-gruntas? Not sure. I guess the 10 and 1x5 Brutes is still ok.

Glad you like the list, hope you enjoy it. Be sure to let me know how you get on.

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh I think to get around the lack of the Ironfist you probably do need to play with 2 units of Gruntas. Perhaps I would revise my list to be 3x 5 Brutes and 2x 3 Gore-gruntas? Not sure. I guess the 10 and 1x5 Brutes is still ok.

Glad you like the list, hope you enjoy it. Be sure to let me know how you get on.

Chris

I will make sure to let you know :)

@Chris Tomlin haha! 

“Iz don’t matta wot boyz youse bring along for da ruck Megaboss, Rotgor has Krunks card marked and iz gonna be collectin afterz he din show up the lass time, u can brin yor pile o’roks even if iz gorkamorka bless ya. Ain’t no blessin or morks dabbin be stoppin Rotgors Boss choppa!”

I planned to bring my facehammer list as it already has 2 monsters or the “maximum effort” list of 3x10 brutes to have fun with all the others monsters :-) 

good news is Chiefs event is a dual list so we can bring a “grudge” list and then one for bashing up everyone else ?

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hi @Razor32,

I am currently painting up my Rogue Idol. It's more for fun and something different as opposed to try to build a strong list though. Basically I'll be dropping my Spear Chukkas and one unit of Gore-gruntas from my Facehammer list (which I think we can agree is a good list) and we'll see how that plays out;

Cabbage - 460
Shaman - 120
Warchanter - 80
Warchanter - 80

10 Brutes - 360
5 Brutes - 180
5 Brutes - 180
3 Gore-gruntas - 140

Rogue Idol - 400

That's 2,000 points on the nose. I think the list may miss the second Grunta unit as they were key to the way I played the proper version of the list. So you could swap out 5 Brutes for them, this also frees up 40 points for a triumph. However with the Idol I think MSU Brutes is perhaps a solid way to go...though I do not like the look of lists without that 10 strong Brute unit tbh!

This is most likely the list I'll run at the Cheltenham Warchiefs GT in November as they have a monster hunter theme going on....the only thing putting me off is my round one grudge with @Sangfroid haha! Need to make sure he's taking something suitably poorer himself else I'll get steamrolled and he'll take my hat!! xD

Which unit(s) in your list are holding objectives?  Seems like it might be wise to swap a Brute unit for 10 Aardboyz for Point sitting, wouldn't it?

36 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Which unit(s) in your list are holding objectives?  Seems like it might be wise to swap a Brute unit for 10 Aardboyz for Point sitting, wouldn't it?

Nah, I don't really rate units of 10 Ardboys right now. I can definitely see some mileage in the 30's, but don't particular see what a 10 pack offers currently.

As mentioned the above list is more for fun than anything vaguely competitive (the Rogue Idol wouldn't set foot in those builds), that said my competitive list only actually offers 3 more Gruntas and the Chukkas in lieu of the Behemoth so your question would remain valid I suspect.

I actually think the list has a lot of bodies/units for an Ironjawz army and I honestly can't say I struggled for objective holding in any game (be interested in @Sangfroid's thoughts as his list was similar in this respect). The units all put out a lot of damage vs cheap hordes and realistic getting outnumbered is the only problem. I dunno. Perhaps in time, given more games I'd agree and at that point maybe we look to drafting in some Grots to fill that role. I think Scorched Earth is the only battleplan where you'd possibly resent having to keep units back to hold objectives, but I'm not sure that will get much play unfortunately :( .

Sorry this reply is pretty rushed as I'm about to finish for the day!

Interesting thread. Been trying to think of a game-play reason to pick one up as I really want to paint one. Here's my tentative list. 40 points left over. I could squeeze a random Wolf Chariot in I guess, but that breaks Allegiance and maybe a Triumph is better than a unit that can get deleted. Kind of envisioning, the Idol running with double Shaman and Boys, and Megaboss running with the groups of Brutes. Not sure Gruntas make sense, maybe to run intereference for the Boys and Shamans.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Units
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)
- Allies
Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4

@eekamouse

I really wana say right now to drop both brutes to goregruntas and grab the extra 10 ardboyz.

Greatly increases mobility and makes the shaman blow that much bigger and tougher. 

Also means there's no competition for IP and MS which combined make 30 ardboyz almost immovable. 

You do lose out on the brutes but wounds wise you only gain and it fits in with your general game plan. 

The 9 goregruntas and MK are an immediate threats while the Idol/weirdnobs/ardboyz represent a slow but just as pressing threat. Should let your weirdnobs do some crazy damage with their spells.

In your current list the brutes feel kinda like they are the odd ones out to me.

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
- Ironjawz Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)
- Allies

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1970 / 2000

The goregrunters could also go as 3/3/3

43 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Drop the Brutes for Goregruntas, not something we’d have heard two months ago ?. 

(Not saying it’s not a good idea just amuses me how it’s changed)

Two moths ago that wouldn't have gained 80 points. Moreover those 80 points wouldn't have almost entirely gained another 10 ardboyz. 

Also the loss of both rampaging destroyers and Ironfist makes the Base move speed of units way more important. 

4 vs 9 is very different from 4+2d6 vs 9+2d6.

7 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

@Chris Tomlin haha! 

“Iz don’t matta wot boyz youse bring along for da ruck Megaboss, Rotgor has Krunks card marked and iz gonna be collectin afterz he din show up the lass time, u can brin yor pile o’roks even if iz gorkamorka bless ya. Ain’t no blessin or morks dabbin be stoppin Rotgors Boss choppa!”

Oi you gitz betta not be avin a big scrap wiv out inviting boss Drogva an da rest of da red legion for it? An I fink you needs a good kickin anyway so I can show you how to get a proper wagggghhhhhh goin an get all da ladz to do more choppin an bashin, an wen I shown ya dat I fink I’m gunna take me dat boss cap Krunk is wearin! 

Allegiance-Bonesplitterz

Savage Big Boss -120
 Wurggog Prophet-140
 Wierdnob-120
 Wardokk-100

30x Arrer Boyz -360
   30xArrer Boyz-360

20xMoreboyz-240

Kunning Rukk-160

Rogue Idol-400

5 drops,4 spell casts per turn 

My new Bonesplitterz army,,need to assemble 17 Moreboyz then paint 20 Moreboys,20 Arrer Boyz and finish the Idol(base coating now)

Im expecting this list to do well.Throwing the Idol forward with the Moreboyz should draw plenty of attention away from my weak Heros keeping them from getting sniped so early.Not likely a power house list though

Some intriguing ideas here!

I like the idea of running a Weirdfist+idol to get that magic running for the Ironjawz.

Bonesplitterz can also use it nicely.

...I just wonder if it is worth it... because normal attacks like those of Skinks will kill the idol pretty quickly won't they? With the halving wounds it had in the previous version that was different. It also had more attacks.  Its attacks now are roughly like those of an Aleguzzler. Is is worth that many points? At 400 it is more expensive than six Gore-Gruntas and a Warchanter...

Personally I can't justify the rogue idol points cost for my mixed grot army. Sure, a bit more bravery would be swell, but just +1? Not enough. Sure, an extra +1 to spells would be swell, but again it's not big enough a deal to change my army.

As for the other value such as being a good beat stick to throw into combat on the front lines, yep but I have 2 Arachnaroks for that, and they have more synergy with command abilities etc than the rogue does not. The AOE mortal woundage on friendly units and -1 bravery when it dies seems like more of a risk than it's worth, certainly for 400 points. 

If I was really inclined to like that level of risk I would go with squigs xD 

Archived