Braggoths beast hammer (you damn right you read this right :p)

Bethorina

So the big reason I was reluctant to do that is that it means he is your command ability. So you lose out on the Frostlord. 

It's really then a choice of which you prefer since he and his doges could also just get you a 2 man Mournfang unit which would satisfy your battleline requirement. 

That's personal choice more than anythig else :)

55 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So the big reason I was reluctant to do that is that it means he is your command ability. So you lose out on the Frostlord. 

It's really then a choice of which you prefer since he and his doges could also just get you a 2 man Mournfang unit which would satisfy your battleline requirement. 

That's personal choice more than anythig else :)

I think I like this list tbh give me a butcher buff and someone to cast mystic shield plus enough heroes for death and duality :)

Try it and see is always the best policy. I played around with various things before trying out my block of 30 ardboyz and my god did I love how they tarpited with arcane shield and IP, basically killed 800 points of clan pestilence on their own. 

So yeah, at some point I intend to try out beastclaw though I really need to sort what ironjawz I have first though. Looking at it I'll probably end up running a skal with quite a few hunters/doges so in that regard it will end up very different from yours. It's what interests us :D

Probably end up with something like 

Allegiance: Destruction
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (140)
Icebrow Hunter (140)
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Chaintrap 
- Chaintrap 
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)
Skal (110)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

That's a little off topic though xD

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Try it and see is always the best policy. I played around with various things before trying out my block of 30 ardboyz and my god did I love how they tarpited with arcane shield and IP, basically killed 800 points of clan pestilence on their own. 

So yeah, at some point I intend to try out beastclaw though I really need to sort what ironjawz I have first though. Looking at it I'll probably end up running a skal with quite a few hunters/doges so in that regard it will end up very different from yours. It's what interests us :D

Probably end up with something like 

Allegiance: Destruction
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
Icebrow Hunter (140)
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- Chaintrap 
- Chaintrap 
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)
Skal (110)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

That's a little off topic though xD

Don't get me wrong I'm gonna start with this as a first list then I'm gonna go with something similar :) and different :) might try the yethees out with thundertusks so they can run and charge :) will deliver to another list in a post :)@Malakree

I have looked at the beast hammer myself. I think it could be pretty effective for fun shock and awe.

I think the general consensus is that the Mournfang are better than the gore gruntas in this arrangement, but I think it is pretty well balanced between them. The gruntas are 20 points cheaper and have 3 more wounds per unit, do slightly less damage but not by a lot and the gruntas perform better once both units have sustained 6 wounds. If they get the charge and it is 8" they can do more damage with the d3 damage for the boars.

With the braggoths battalion they are a nice little addition since they get the Beastclaw raiders keyword you get +1 to hit within 6" of the beastclaw raiders and reroll 1s to wound. Meaning for a fairly cheap 280 point 6 man unit you are looking at circa 12 wounds at rend -1 for the guys on top and 9 wounds at rend - for the boars (average 12-13 wounds against 4+ save), on an 8" charge and rerolling that charge range thanks to the bosses command those 9 wounds deal d3 taking that to 17 wounds average against 4+ save. Mournfang with the big axes for 320 points do 3 wounds (dmg 3) at rend -1 for the dudes and 9 wounds at rend -1 for the beasts, averaging 12 wounds. So the gruntas are actually overall better I think - especially if you can get the cheeky 8" charge.

With the above, I would consider keeping the points of the mournfang to a minimum and making the gruntas into 6 man units. Plus I believe if I read it right they gain +1 to hit if within 6" of a beastclaw raiders unit from this battalion... well since they gain the beastclaw raiders keywork for being in the battalion and already have the ironjawz keyword, surely they are within 6" of themselves and always get the +1. Let me know if I am wrong there.

Would love to see someone try it, stick 6 gruntas into someone on an 8" charge to gore them and then do the overrunning stampede to do it all over again. Would be beautiful to watch.

21 minutes ago, Malakree said:

They don't gain the beastclaw keyword they just don't count for breaking your allegiance. It's an important difference for any abilities that specify beastclaw raiders.

That is unfortunate, a change from the FAQ prior to GH2017. Its a shame since it removes some new purposing for other units to combine with interesting new abilities. Since it is just for army selection that makes the 8" charge very unlikely without the rerolls and the loss of the reroll 1s to wound would hurt.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived