Da Crimson Crushas - Update: Army WIP shot

BunkhouseBuster

Greeting, one and all!

Now that I've made some actual painting progress on my Ironjawz army, I figured it would be a good time to start up a thread to showcase my models as I get them painted up.  It's a slow process for me due to the little free time I do have to do hobbying stuff anymore, but after a mostly free past two weeks, I have been able to make substantial progress on my models, and get some Ironjawz painted up to completion.  So as I start to finish models, I'll be posting up pictures here of them to provide some inspiration to others for their own models.

I may also use this thread as an outlet for me personal fluff that I write up regarding my Ironjawz.  I don't have any yet, but when inspiration strikes me, it strikes hard, and you all seem a willing audience ;)

And to start this thread off, here's pictures of my Maw-krusha!  I picked the color scheme and based it of off the Osage Copperhead species of snake, one of the few venomous snakes species native to my home state of Missouri, USA.  Enjoy!  Let me know what you think.  And don't mind the camera flash; turns out that my camera's flash is better for lighting than the lamp in my room (the lighting is really good during the day, so I'll aim for day light next time).  Next, I need to figure out the basing...

20171008_205428.jpg.f8a0f1ef5a472bd4fa1314a9b6b2d129.jpg20171008_205438.jpg.d561527ccc3977c9c5a87942af07762d.jpg

6 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@BunkhouseBuster - Looks great man! I was speaking to @ChippyRick about the possibility of a Maw-krusha looking good painted in a more natural brownish colour scheme. Really nice example right here! Good work.

Thanks!  I'm pleased with how it turned out.  While I didn't follow the patterns exactly, I did pick the colors based on the snake species's colors and applied them as I though would look cool.  I was torn as to what color I wanted to use, bouncing between yellow, red, green, or purple.  And then as I'm discussing it with my wargaming buddy over Messenger, I make the comment "how about based on a real reptile, and start browsing the Internet for pictures of copperhead snakes.  Literally as I am about to share with my buddy what I found, he sent some the exact same copperhead pictures that I had found.  Talk about a hilarious and mind-blowing experience!  And I thought it was funny when my wife finishes my sentences! xD

I'll have to get the colors used written up.  I'll do that when I get it based.  Hopefully that will be tonight or this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Here's a WIP of my army as it stands.  Making progress one model at a time, and these are everything that have some paint on them.  As you can see, some of the models are more finished than others.  Hopefully I can invest in some better lighting and a better background to take better pictures, but for now, enjoy it as you can :)

large.IJ-CC001.jpg.1b47c00957d81d798789c2732c76d6e8.jpglarge.59f724b127b0d_MBonMK001.jpg.aaa525449e47247047f4ca958a6cedb5.jpg

Megaboss on Maw-krusha needs a bit more work to be finished up, and then basing will happen at some point.  Not sure exactly how I want to base it right now, but it'll happen one day.  I'm probably going to go with a desert-ish theme, but I'll worry about that once I get more of the army finished up; I like to do my basing all at once.

@Xelotath, I've written up the colors I used on the Maw-krusha.  All colors are GW colors.  I hope this helps!

• basecoat in Steel Legion Drab
  • Zandri Dust for the lower belly and wings
  • Skrag Brown for the "armored" bits of the scaly hide
  • Mournfang Brown for the raised parts of the scaly hide
  • Rakarth Flesh for the spines, claws, and hooves
  • XV-88 for the leather straps
  • Screaming Skull for the teeth
  • Leadbelcher for the metal bits
  • Joekaro Orange for the eyes
  • Agrax Earthshade EVERYTHING
  • medium drybrush of Zandru dust on everything
  • light drybrush of Rakarth Flesh on everything, medium-heavy drybrush on wings
  • Layer Rakarth flesh on spines, claws, and hooves again
  • Joekaro Orange and black for the eyes.

In the course of painting this, I found that Mournfang Brown and Skrag brown go together REALLY well.  Without any wet blending or fancy techniques, those two colors work together right out of the pot in a warm, natural way.  I'll have to remember that for any other creature I paint in this color scheme.

Next up, finishing what's pictured, then moving onto the next 3 Gore-gruntas, a Brute Squad, and the Gargant...

Looking really good and thanks for uploading the colours. The more natural feel really works for the model, I'm still undecided on my Mawcrusha, hopefully I'll finish it at the weekend and if I'm still not happy I may have to start again and borrow (or outright steal ?) your scheme

24 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Looking really good and thanks for uploading the colours. The more natural feel really works for the model, I'm still undecided on my Mawcrusha, hopefully I'll finish it at the weekend and if I'm still not happy I may have to start again and borrow (or outright steal ?) your scheme

You're welcome!  It turned out a lot better than I expected, and looks even better in person; my phone doesn't want to pick up drybrushing in my lighting, it seems.  I think a lighting box, or some lamps and good bulbs, may be on my purchase list.

I have to say, I don't think anyone has copied my ideas for painting or converting before.  Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I did some more work on my first set of guys.  3 Heroes and 3 squads of models all painted up, at least as much as I'm going to do.  Now on to the basing!

The question is, what for the basing?  I'm not wanting anything complicated.  Just some simple sand/texture paint, drybrushing, and grass tufts.  But what color?  I'm torn between grey or tan.  What do you all think would go with my army color scheme?

20171110_192440.jpg.ef990071d4662366d967bb5622229cfd.jpg20171110_190332.jpg.c96e0024090d0af3e31191e20e17ecc4.jpg

Warning, all of this is my opinion.

So I think you want something which is going to contrast with the colour scheme rather than go with it. You have quite a muted scheme on the Orruks so if you do the bases anything related to orange, brown or red the base is going to detract from the model.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Blog/Textured_Paints.pdf

The only one I'd really look at on there for you is the Astrogranite Debries, it's off colour enough to contrast with the colour scheme but potentially not overpower it. The only thing I'd worry about is how it will look next to the blue skin. 

Spoiler

23405663_10215465917947380_9598705755264

So that basing effect was achieved with Stirland Battlemire and a drybrush of Underhive Ash. That might be more what you're after. 

You're other option would be to go for some sort of Idyllic green setting with little bits of battlemire on the bases. Make it look as though your Orruks are tramping through the Realm of Life churning up the grass and destroying it. Not sure how you would achieve it though and it would require more work, on the larger bases, like the MK, you would probably want to try and add some sort of river/water feature so it looks like the MK is standing over a tiny stream passing with grass on either side. At one end of the stream you use a Carroburg Crimson shade which dilutes quickly till about 1/3rd of the way giving the impression of the MK leaving bodies behind him which are bleeding into the stream..

I could see your dude hailing from some kind of volcano area, so maybe like ashen rocks with lava details on some of the more grandiose bases?

Agrellan Badland could be a good way to go. I am just rebasing my Megaboss to see how that would look with my models. A Cassandora wash and tyrant skull drybrush over it with some tufts could make a cool wasteland effect which is what I'm aiming for.

the models are looking great so I'm sure whatever you decide will look equally awesome ?

Morning,

Great work on the army @BunkhouseBuster, it's coming along really nicely. I really like the colour palette you've used across the army.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, BunkhouseBuster said:

In the course of painting this, I found that Mournfang Brown and Skrag brown go together REALLY well.  Without any wet blending or fancy techniques, those two colors work together right out of the pot in a warm, natural way.  I'll have to remember that for any other creature I paint in this color scheme.

The full Citadel colour range is so extensive now there are loads of colours that interact like this, it's really impressive. It's becoming increasingly unnecessary to mix paints all the time as plenty of the colours are essentially a lightened version (ie premixed highlight) of another colour.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:18 AM, BunkhouseBuster said:

The question is, what for the basing?  I'm not wanting anything complicated.  Just some simple sand/texture paint, drybrushing, and grass tufts.  But what color?  I'm torn between grey or tan.  What do you all think would go with my army color scheme?

@Malakree was spot on in his response. You certainly do not want to use anything brown/red/orange in your basing. Grey would provide a suitable contrast.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:32 AM, Malakree said:

Warning, all of this is my opinion.

So I think you want something which is going to contrast with the colour scheme rather than go with it. You have quite a muted scheme on the Orruks so if you do the bases anything related to orange, brown or red the base is going to detract from the model.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Blog/Textured_Paints.pdf

The only one I'd really look at on there for you is the Astrogranite Debries, it's off colour enough to contrast with the colour scheme but potentially not overpower it. The only thing I'd worry about is how it will look next to the blue skin. 

Reveal hidden contents

23405663_10215465917947380_9598705755264

So that basing effect was achieved with Stirland Battlemire and a drybrush of Underhive Ash. That might be more what you're after. 

You're other option would be to go for some sort of Idyllic green setting with little bits of battlemire on the bases. Make it look as though your Orruks are tramping through the Realm of Life churning up the grass and destroying it. Not sure how you would achieve it though and it would require more work, on the larger bases, like the MK, you would probably want to try and add some sort of river/water feature so it looks like the MK is standing over a tiny stream passing with grass on either side. At one end of the stream you use a Carroburg Crimson shade which dilutes quickly till about 1/3rd of the way giving the impression of the MK leaving bodies behind him which are bleeding into the stream..

Thanks!  Funny enough, I was starting to lean more towards the grey bases, and I actually just grabbed a pot of Astrogranite last night while picking up my Shadespire Ironskull Boys.  I probably will test it out on some Ardboys first to see how it goes.

I don't know how scenic I will get for my Maw-krusha's base.  I'm not one for big or flashy bases, usually settling for rocks and simple grass on top of sand.  I may do something special for the Maw-Krusha since it has so much space on its base to fill in, so we'll see.  My wife suggested putting cracks in the ground around his fists to make it look like he's punching the ground really hard.

On 11/11/2017 at 7:22 AM, Xelotath said:

I could see your dude hailing from some kind of volcano area, so maybe like ashen rocks with lava details on some of the more grandiose bases?

Agrellan Badland could be a good way to go. I am just rebasing my Megaboss to see how that would look with my models. A Cassandora wash and tyrant skull drybrush over it with some tufts could make a cool wasteland effect which is what I'm aiming for.

the models are looking great so I'm sure whatever you decide will look equally awesome ?

Thanks!  I haven't thought about lava/magma at all, that might be something to look at.

I do like the idea of using the crackling paint mixed in with the other texture paints.  Have you had any luck painting over Agrellan with more than just wash/drybrush?  Like painting it over to change it's color?  Has that worked for you?

Good luck on your Boyz!

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Morning,

Great work on the army @BunkhouseBuster, it's coming along really nicely. I really like the colour palette you've used across the army.

The full Citadel colour range is so extensive now there are loads of colours that interact like this, it's really impressive. It's becoming increasingly unnecessary to mix paints all the time as plenty of the colours are essentially a lightened version (ie premixed highlight) of another colour.

@Malakree was spot on in his response. You certainly do not want to use anything brown/red/orange in your basing. Grey would provide a suitable contrast.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks!  Yeah, I'm still learning the current paint range.  I started out with miniature wargaming back in 2010 when the previous range was still going.  When GE updated it, I jumped armies at the time and only ever get what I use for those models.  Half the colors on my Maw-krusha are also used on my Space Marines, while the other half were either for a cancelled army (*cough*Khador*cough*) or new for this army.  It's always fun to see how the GW paints hold their own against the competitors.

I'll probably go with the grey bases, at least to start.  We'll see how the test models go :)

One of the things I've started noticing with the thick paints is that you can apply a lot to increase the texture.

You could then paint the texture on the Base the same way you would a normal model. 

Personally all my mk's, I want 3(!), and any other large models I'm going to put a lot into the Base. I want them to be centrepieces. 

Well, I've got my Shadespire Ironjawz built and primed, and making progress slowly but surely on them.  No update on basing yet, I'm still trying to figure that out, and my sacrificial test bases did not turn out as well as I had hoped.  I may just go with sand and PVA glue and paint over it.  We shall see though.

In the meantime, my Ironskull Boyz!

20171112_213304.jpg.6bbd45adceaf05e00bde3c1ca75fb224.jpg20171115_182736.jpg.98db74bf0c7e002ec8702a755f970113.jpg

I really like the crusha. Did you really drybrush all the scales like you said?

"medium drybrush of Zandru dust on everything

light drybrush of Rakarth Flesh on everything, medium-heavy drybrush on wings"

I thought it would come out differently.

I'm not into the blueskinned 'smorcs', though.

5 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I really like the crusha. Did you really drybrush all the scales like you said?

"medium drybrush of Zandru dust on everything

light drybrush of Rakarth Flesh on everything, medium-heavy drybrush on wings"

I thought it would come out differently.

I'm not into the blueskinned 'smorcs', though.

It might have been lighter than I remember doing for the Zandri Dust, but, yes.  It really shows up better on the underbelly, but I didn't get any pictures of it from that angle yet.  I will say that it looks much better in person; it seems that my phone camera is not good about picking up drybrushing, even with my improved lighting.  I'll have to check its settings and see if it is a compression issue.

I didn't think I would be into the blue Orruks either, but it worked out.  And technically, I'm using Sotek Green as their skin color, so technically they are still Green-skins ;)

Archived