Converting Stormcast Eternals?

Oravanystava

Hello everyone!

I've been contemplating starting a Stormcast army for quite some time, but wanted to give them a bit more of a "knightly" theme. I suppose my biggest inspiration would be the Diablo 3 Crusader. Now I've got a couple of questions before I commit to the idea and start spending money. My biggest concerns are the proportions of various bits and how they fit the Stormcast bodies. Which ones do you think would make a better fit?

- for the heads I'm thinking either the Grey Knights Terminator or the Free Guild Greatsword helmets. 

- I'd also like to equip them with flails. Cut off the hammer heads and replace them with the appropriate bits. I suppose my best bets would be the Chaos Marauders or Flagellants. Maybe Marauders for Liberators and Flaggellants for Retributors?

- lastly, it would be super cool to use the front halves of the Black Templar torsos. Is that in any way doable or completely unreasonable?

Thanks for the help!

I've used the liberator kits as the basis for half a dozen conversions to chaos warriors / chosen / blightkings.  Obviously, not the same as your plans, but I think I can help a little. 

First - you're right to be concerned about scale - these models are larger than practically any other "human" in the GW range.  I've seen many conversions / kit bashes with heads from empire / Bret kits and in my opinion they just about work - but only just.  To take an example from my own hobby experience; chaos warrior heads look ok, a hellstrider head looks marginally too small, but certainly not silly.   A search engine image search will probably show you many examples, or have a peek at my TGA blog (sorry for the shameless plug ?).  I've never assembled a grey knight so I can't specifically help you there, sorry.

Although the stormcast are big, the weapons handles on the liberators are oddly slim in comparison to hafts / handles on other miniatures. Still - you'll be able to convert them to holding flails, but I don't think that it will be as easy as you hoped, although I am a bit OCD about these things. I've used quite a few chaos knight arms as the basis for my weapons swaps because of this. 

I've not tried anything similar to your torso idea, so I can't help much I'm afraid. All I'll say is that the starter set liberators would be tricky to use for this compared to the separate box figures. I've only ever converted around the abdomen area and that wasn't straightforward. 

If you do give this a go please post up your results and wip - I'd love to see how far these kits can be pushed. 

Good luck.

MGP

I do know that Space Marine heads fit stormcast very, very well, especially ones without helmets.  You might be able to get good Knightly Helmet results by using Mk3 helmets, like from the Prospero boxed game, they have a nice platemail-helmet look.

All you have to do is enlarge the socket on the body of the Stormcast very slightly, and the ball of the Space Marine head will fit perfectly.

Here's my thread about my Stormcast Head conversions:

Thanks a lot you two.

I have almost convinced myself by now to buy the Hammerhall army box and make a mixed Stormcast/Freeguild army with lots of conversions. In the past I was quite shy about converting models but I feel like I'm ready to take the next step, so to speak.

Cheers!

56 minutes ago, Oravanystava said:

I have almost convinced myself by now to buy the Hammerhall army box and make a mixed Stormcast/Freeguild army with lots of conversions. In the past I was quite shy about converting models but I feel like I'm ready to take the next step, so to speak.

Oh man, if you manage to let the stormcast seem as the more 'elite' knights that could really tie the mixed force together. Make sure you start a plog to show the progress. Would love to see the results (also a good way to get tips if you run aground while converting.)

Stormcast with lend themselves quite well to headswaps from what I've seen on the web, chaos helms and that sort seem to be a good size. 

These could work, https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NO/Imperial-Fists-Legion-Templar-Brethren-Upgrade-Set

If our not completely commoted to just gw bits these may be of interest- https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=595

Archived