Agent of Chaos

Looking to run the following  2000 point list: Slaves to Darkness allegiance but everyone with mark of Khorne.

The 30 chaos warriors and Exalted Hero will stick close to the warshrine as the army's anvil while the 10 x Knight with Glaives are the primary hammer. The chariots will protect one flank while the Khorgorath looks after the other.  I've gone for 2 bloodsecrators for greater coverage of attack and battleshock buffs, and so they can leap frog each other if the knights and chariots get too far forward.

The Alpha Strike would be as follows; Warshrine puts prayer on the unit of 10 x Knights (reroll all failed hits), Chaos Lord uses his command ability on them (reroll charge & +1 to hit), Bloodstoker whips them (+3" move and reroll wounds of 1), while hoping  their charge keeps them in range of the bloodsecrator. With a 14" base move from their hornblower and bloodstoker, plus a re-roll, they should make their charge.  Then its 30 attacks with -1 rend and 2 damage, hitting on 3+ due to the chaos lord's ability, rerolling misses from the warshrine prayer, wounding on 3+, rerolling 1's from being whipped. And thats before the steeds attack with another 30 attacks, 3+ hit (rerolling misses), 4+ wound (rerolling 1's)!

In the following turn give all the same buffs to the unit of 5 x knights with ensorcelled weapons and charge them in while retreating the glaive unit in preparation for another buffed charge in turn 3. 

ARMY LIST:

Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140) - General - Command Trait : Hatred Incarnate - Artefact : Hellfire Sword - Mark of Chaos : Khorne
Exalted Hero Of Chaos (80) - Mark of Chaos : Khorne
Bloodstoker (80) - Ally
Bloodsecrator (120) - Ally
Bloodsecrator (120) - Ally

10 x Chaos Knights (320) -Chaos Glaives - Mark of Chaos : Khorne - Std Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (160) -Ensorcelled Weapons - Mark of Chaos : Khorne - Std Battleline
3 x Chaos Chariots (240) -War flails - Mark of Chaos : Khorne - Std Battleline
30 x Chaos Warriors (480) -Hand Weapon & Shield - Mark of Chaos : Khorne - Std Battleline
1 x Chaos Warshrine (180) - Mark of Chaos : Khorne
1 x Khorgoraths (80)- Ally

Total: 2000 points (Allies = 400 points)

One question I have; given my army is Slaves to Darkness Allegiance and not Khorne Allegiance, can the priest in the warshrine use a Blood Blessing of Khorne? Assuming no, am I wasting the warshrine's true potential? Problem is that if I switch to Khorne Allegiance only the chaos warriors would count as battleline...

Looks like a cool list to me! In regards to your question, the Blood Blessings are exclusive to Khorne armies. In the Khorne Allegiance it's explained a Khorne army is a Khorne army if it has that Allegiance. So the Warshrine in this case can't use the Blood Blessing of Khorne.
Blood-Blessings-of-Khorne.jpg

However! Switching to the Khorne Allegiance would not mean your Chaos Warriors wouldn't count as Battleline, this is because the Khorne Allegiance (like Chaos) works on the specific Khorne Keyword, something every unit has in your list.

In addition some have asked what's up with Khorne's Allies (as Blades of Khorne is a Faction but not an Allegiance) and currently we are left to assume it's the same as that of Blades of Khorne. However other than that specific restriction and the 400 points per 2000 there is no downside to thaking Allies with Khorne. The Blood Tithe points all trigger.

So wether you go Slaves to Darkness or Khorne here is really up to you. Both have their advantages and disadvantages :) In addition I think it might be important to note that the Rage of Khorne does not stack anymore, which might or might not alter your army build. Another bonus to Khorne is that you actually get more list building flexability.

Cheers,

Thanks guys! So warshrine can't use blood blessings unless army allegiance is Khorne, which I suspected.

If the army allegiance was Khorne, then I couldn't use knights and chariots as battle line because that requires Slaves allegiance.  

So if I stick with Slaves as the primary allegiance to fulfill my battleline requirement, do my Khorne allies use the Khorne allegiance and therefore have access to bloodtithe? Does that mean I'm effectively rocking both allegiances?  What happens when all of the Allies have been slain? Bloodtithe ceases to work?

As a cheeky work around, could I drop a secrator and Khorgorath and say that the warshrine is a Khorne ally rather than a part of the main allegiance, thus allowing it to take a bloodblessing? Or does it's slaves to darkness keyword prevent me from doing that?  

So far the intention seems to be that there is a max of one Allegiance per army, even with Allies.

The thing is that gh2017 isnt completely clear on it and other interactions but as is Id pick one of either, noth both.

Con to StD Allegiance is that its limited to those models with that Keyword. This is true for Khorne aswell except Blood Tith points accumulate regardless of unit death (and thus also Allies).

Hopefully the next GH faq will clearify it all a bit more.

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Even the recent clarification on factions didn't really clear this up however I don't think my cheeky work around with the warshrine as an ally would be legal.

This goes back to what Killax was writing about.  the rules for Khorne as an allegiance are clear; anything with the Khorne keyword (or that takes it when placed) is part of Khorne.  They also clarified in the last FAQ that Blades of Khorne = Khorne.  Where it gets weird is how allies work from the General's Handbook.  Allies by definition fall outside the army allegiance, and are by faction (not allegiance).  Even if you take the warshrine with Khorne keyword (making it theoretically a Blades of Khorne model), your army remains StD allegiance - and the Blessings are an allegiance ability, not model specific.  If you took Slaughterpriests in a GA Chaos allegiance force, they'd get the abilities on their warscroll, but not the blessings.  Same deal here.  If you want the blessings on the warshrine, it needs Khorne mark, in a (Blades of) Khorne army.

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Late night musings.  What points level do people usually play at?  I'm wondering the impact it has on peoples' list choices.  I generally play at 1500 - it's the points used most often for local tournaments, and what gets played at most pick-up games.  How about y'all?

FMB

At my local games shop the default list size we all build up towards is 2000 points. But with Skirmish and Path to Glory we haven't really played a 2000 point game in a while.  Might give that a shot if we do a Firestorm campaign. 

8 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Late night musings.  What points level do people usually play at?  I'm wondering the impact it has on peoples' list choices.  I generally play at 1500 - it's the points used most often for local tournaments, and what gets played at most pick-up games.  How about y'all?

FMB

Between 1000 and 2000, I mainly try to press for 2000 but then again I have a lot of models to paint still, something Im not proud of.

I do think the game functions at its best with Generals Handbooks at 2000 points though, especially considering all the Allegiances, abilities attached to it and certain Allegiances having stronger Battle Traits or Command Traits or Artefacts. It fills the 6x4 up nicely and feels like a good sized army, something that historically speaking can match what is required to thake over a small area or city. While Im not looking for actual historical relevance I do typically like it when a force contains around 100 or more models, as it's visually speaking quite impressive :) 

Im kinda a 1 per 2000 guy, but at 1500 I'd consider some Battalions, mostely so far I have opted to not thake one at all at 1K-1.5K. 

The prime reason for me is to really go for that all or nothing approach. Khorne doesn't have many 1 drop Battalions (anymore) that seem worth the effort and cost. This really is a bit of a shame as I really would have liked to continue playing the Goretide from time to time.

Speed really is the next best thing after Teleporting and as expected by just raising 80% of all Battalions with 100 points isn't a subtle way of designing things. As commented before to me it seems like the design team doesn't really know how to cost Battalions correctly. I'm personally still a firm believer that 1 for free per 1500 points would work out better overall. At that point it isn't really hindering army construction the way it does now. 

Archived