Shadespire Painting Log - Update 08/01 - Sepulchral Guard finished

Chris Tomlin

Afternoon all,

I thought I'd get a little topic together to track my painting progress for Shadespire.

Straight off I will say that I am not aiming to produce my best work here. The intent is to achieve some nice looking game pieces that do not take long to paint as I would like to paint everything released for this game!

I was fortunate enough to get a review copy of the game, which means I can get a bit of a head start to make this goal more achievable. I hope to have the 3 Liberators painted by the time the game is released and can then work on the Bloodreavers until the first expansions come out.

Obviously this sounds somewhat contradictory with my proposed quicker paint jobs, but this is because I will be painting the models around AoS projects, so it will just be the odd hour here and there if that makes sense? So whilst it may take a week to paint a model, the actual time spent will hopefully be minimal. Still want them to look half decent though!

Anyway, I have already finished the first Liberator, Severin Steelheart, and will be taking photos of him for #MiniatureMonday on Twitter tonight so will share him here tomorrow.

As a little bit of a preview, here is his base (and my leg!).

Thanks for looking,
Chris

IMG_1793.JPG

Thanks for creating this thread. It'll be interesting to see how easily/quickly these "board game pieces" can be painted up to a good standard - although most of us won't have your level of painting prowess! Also, it'll be good to see which techniques you use, i.e. Have these figures been designed to take a wash well etc. 

You've done a smashing job on that base. It's odd, you rarely see a detail base photo, especially from that angle. I like how there's a nuance of colour on the flagstones. Is that achieved with a glaze, or is it targeted dry brushing?

Looking forward to your next update. 

MGP

Morning all,

So without further ado here is the first finished Shadespire model; Severin Steelheart (aka @Forestreveries with good hair!)

IMG_1811.JPG

For the time invested in this guy, I'm really pleased with how he came out. Obviously as per any of my photos, it's a poor one, but it shows off a decent representation of the model tbh. Fits the design brief of quick paint jobs that should look pretty good in the game. It's fun to follow studio schemes as well for a change (which is gonna mean yellow Orruks as well!).

16 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I am jealous. Looking forward to it, off to a good start. Those leaves are great. Also do you have an Instagram?

Cheers man. Yeah the base was a lot of fun to paint. Had considered doing my own, but the ones you get with the models are great. I do not have Instagram no, I am considering getting it though.

15 hours ago, MyGeekyPersona said:

Thanks for creating this thread. It'll be interesting to see how easily/quickly these "board game pieces" can be painted up to a good standard - although most of us won't have your level of painting prowess! Also, it'll be good to see which techniques you use, i.e. Have these figures been designed to take a wash well etc. 

You've done a smashing job on that base. It's odd, you rarely see a detail base photo, especially from that angle. I like how there's a nuance of colour on the flagstones. Is that achieved with a glaze, or is it targeted dry brushing?

Looking forward to your next update. 

MGP

Thanks man, I think people will be able to get good results with these models. The fact you only have a handful makes it pretty easy to tackle them on a one-by-one basis without it seeming a chore etc. You'll get a fully painted warband in no time. You could batch paint of course, but I have to do that for AoS, so it's nice to treat these as individuals. May mean I can tried some varied skin tones for the Bloodreavers etc.

Glad you liked the base, I felt it warranted a proper photo as like I said above, they've done a great job with the basing. I drybrushed it various greys, bone etc, then used some green and brown glazes for the colouring.

7 minutes ago, Vaux said:

Not green enough! But looks nice, the base complements him being in a ruined city.

Haha! Yeah it was a bit of a departure for me as I've pretty much just been painting Ironjawz for a while now. Fun though.

Cheers for all the comments. I have a Twitter poll for which of the other two I paint for next Monday.

Chris

This looks fantastic, I really hope I can join this soon as later this month the Warbands should arrive ;) 

Keep it up, love the set up and quality. In general I think Shadespire is the best excuse to paint a few models at the highest levels your capable of. Which was the first thing that excited me so much!

9 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Really nice!  I'm liking the idea of small model counts as it's more realistic as a small "side project"

That and it's the perfect excuse to experiment on looks and feels. The fact that the Warbands often boil down to a group of characters really allows you to go nuts. I also expect these Warbands to show up on Golden Daemons as they are so incredibly dynamic or ooze character.  

2 hours ago, Killax said:

This looks fantastic, I really hope I can join this soon as later this month the Warbands should arrive ;) 

Keep it up, love the set up and quality. In general I think Shadespire is the best excuse to paint a few models at the highest levels your capable of. Which was the first thing that excited me so much!

Cheers man. Yeh you are right to be fair. I guess what I'm doing is a bit backwards in that regard haha!!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Really nice!  I'm liking the idea of small model counts as it's more realistic as a small "side project"

Thanks mate. Yeh it totally is. Im excited to paint a bunch of different things I wouldn't normal consider for AoS - Khorne, Fyreslayers, Skaven etc

1 hour ago, Killax said:

I also expect these Warbands to show up on Golden Daemons as they are so incredibly dynamic or ooze character.  

100%. They are perfect for competition painting in this regard.

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Looks lovely. Quick question - did you sub assemble these or paint in one go?

I barely never paint in sub assemblies (last one was Megaboss separate from Maw-krusha I believe). Absolutely no need to here IMO.

Thanks for the comments,
Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Morning,

Wow....so I fell right off the pace here didn't I?! Oops! This came about for a number of reasons, the biggest one being a bit strange actually. Despite being fortunate enough to get the game early, of course I wasn't actually able to play vs other people until release. I then struggled to get any games in and got a bit frustrated as everyone else seemed to be playing loads. Sounds silly right? Simple jealously I guess.

Anyway, I've played a couple of games now and am looking forward to many more. This in turn means that I need to get back on board with the painting. My original plan from above is still very much my goal; painting every warband in the studio colours to a pretty basic, quick standard.

There is one deviation from this and that's Ironskull's Boyz. My plan was is customize this warband to be painted and based like The Black Sunz for use in games of AoS (nice to have a new unit, even if they are a bit naff). I then intend to get another set of Ironskull's Boyz just to speed paint in the studio scheme for Shadespire as per the above.

So last night I decided it was time to return to my hobby desk. I sat down with the Ironskull's Boyz box and my extensive collection of Ork/Orruky bitz and cracked on for a couple of hours. As is often the case when I'm converting, I came up with a bit of background in my head. I haven't written it down as a story as such but my idea is that in my version of the Mortal Realms, Krunk has been able to use the leviathan Vegnagun to tear a rift into Shadespire, freeing Ironskull's Boyz. Being grateful at receiving the opportunity to smash up a bunch of new stuff they decide to join The Black Sunz, but not before they've embarked on a new career as pirates, pillaging the realms and all their inhabitants. Or something. Kaptin Ironskull has ring to it, right?

These conversions were super fun to make and is the most I've used my dremel in ages as they are actually quite in depth in places. Lots of little touches I can't really capture in single photos. They aren't completely finished yet, I do have some basic mouldline removal, greenstuffing and a couple of final additions before they are ready for an undercoat.

Anyway, check them out! Let me know what you think.

Cheers guys,
Chris

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

So I've finally finished Steelheart's Champions! Really happy with how these came out. What I'm not happy with is that fact that it is now dark before I go to work, and dark again by the time I get home! Urgh. This means it quite difficult to get decent photos (something I struggle with at the best of times!). I may try to take some more in the daytime this weekend, particularly of Angharad and Obryn. However, it is worth noting that I did do a little bit more work on Severin since my original photos.

Anyway, I hope you think them. I think Ironskull's Boyz will be next (a yellow Shadespire version, not my converted pirate ones above - still sculpting work to do on them).

Thanks for looking,
Chris

EFB2AE2E-1265-4185-B126-8AFAAC515AFC.jpeg

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, Titcher said:

How long are you taking on each model roughly? And how does this compare with the time you spent your regular army?

Your models look fantastic by the way and don' look speed painted at all

Thanks man :)

Hhhmm...I'm not really one for timing paint jobs especially as I tend to have a few projects on the go and switch between them etc. Still a good few hours on each of these I'd expect. I'm basically just following the WHTV videos for Shadespire which speeds things along as all the colour choices are made etc.

These are (give or take) the tried and tested method of basecoat > wash > layer > edge highlight. My top standard for my armies would involve many more stages...although half of these would arguably be unnecessary given my sometimes inefficient paintstyle haha!!

I think the Stormcast are great for quicker jobs being mostly armour. It'll be interesting to see whether my Ardboys and especially Bloodreavers hold up quite so well. The Bloodreavers are a little more problematic as the WHTV video only gives advices on one skintone and I had hoped to vary them as per the studio scheme.

On 17/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

I think the Stormcast are great for quicker jobs being mostly armour. It'll be interesting to see whether my Ardboys and especially Bloodreavers hold up quite so well. The Bloodreavers are a little more problematic as the WHTV video only gives advices on one skintone and I had hoped to vary them as per the studio scheme.

I recently used both of these guides experimenting with some darker skinned Chaos Dwarfs, and they proved as quick and easy to follow as any of Duncan's videos if you need two speedy, slightly varied templates for Karsus and Saek:

On 14/11/2017 at 1:53 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

Afternoon all,

So I've finally finished Steelheart's Champions! Really happy with how these came out. What I'm not happy with is that fact that it is now dark before I go to work, and dark again by the time I get home! Urgh. This means it quite difficult to get decent photos (something I struggle with at the best of times!). I may try to take some more in the daytime this weekend, particularly of Angharad and Obryn. However, it is worth noting that I did do a little bit more work on Severin since my original photos.

Anyway, I hope you think them. I think Ironskull's Boyz will be next (a yellow Shadespire version, not my converted pirate ones above - still sculpting work to do on them).

Thanks for looking,
Chris

EFB2AE2E-1265-4185-B126-8AFAAC515AFC.jpeg

I'd be more than happy with these as my best 'evah' paint jobs tbh.

character in the bare face is fab.

Hey,

@Double Misfire - Cheers for that man, really helpful. I'll definitely have a look at them when I come to painting the Reavers.

12 minutes ago, harrocks said:

I'd be more than happy with these as my best 'evah' paint jobs tbh.

character in the bare face is fab.

Thanks bro. The face is a lovely sculpt, very nice to paint. Came out well for little effort.

I have finally started some progress on my yellow "box art" version of Ironskull's Boyz...unfortunately I've been a bit a nightmare so far as I've had to strip them twice! Not so much speed painting! :S Happy I can crack on with them now though, hoping for a couple of hours tonight.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Morning,

I have finally finished Ironskull's Boyz! Despite my love for Ironjawz, I'm currently left hating these models!! I've had a bit of a nightmare with them which has impacted on my (failed) brief of speed painting.

I actually had to strip these models twice before I was able to get a solid undercoat with Averland Sunset. Perhaps it's the green plastic, perhaps it was the weather conditions, regardless I got there in the end. Unfortunately the drama did not end there as I had a problem with the bases cracking/splitting! I believe this happened as originally I hadn't glued the feet and actually painted the bases quite nicely. However I pushfit the models after spraying yellow (one of the failed times) and ended up chucking the whole thing in the Biostrip. When I pulled the models apart from the bases I found they cracked/split. Perhaps they were softened (or made more brittle I guess) by the Biostrip, or perhaps (more likely IMO) I applied too much pressure when pulling apart...no idea, never had anything like that happen before. Anyway, I fixed this with plastic glue and then sanding it down. Still, that wasn't quite it as I ended up not being able to drybrush the bases properly (due to my drybrushes dying), I stubbornly persevered out of continued frustration, only to end up having to paint them about 3 times. This caused the finer cracks and detail in the basing (which is no where near as nice as the SCE it has to be said) being obscured by washes etc. I picked up a new drybrush and tidied them a bit, however it did leave me needing to apply some small patches of static grass to mitigate this.

What a mess eh? :S 

But yeh, looking at them objectively now I am pretty pleased with the paintjobs given the time they took (once you take away the endless issues). I have not been able to photo them in good light (because, Winter!) and the only half decent photo I do have washes out the colours, especially the top Flash Gitz Yellow edge highlight.

At some point I'll try to take proper photos of all the Shadespire stuff I think.

Anyway, I'm pleased they are done. At the end of the day, whilst they are cool and all that, they are pretty much just Ardboys models and I don't enjoy painting those either. The weapon blades are lovely (and came out well I think...wish I'd done this method on my Ironjawz army actually), the faces are cool and Gurzag's cloak was nice to paint, but other than that, meh. I much prefer the more modern style of armour the Brutes, Gore-gruntas and Megaboss have. Hopefully I'll enjoy painting my pirate version for AoS a bit more than these. Going back to a familiar paint palette should help me feel more at home there haha!

I think the Sepulchral Guard will be next. Not really feeling the Reavers at the moment.

Enjoy...

7B25E75C-5BC7-44AD-ACD6-8B782DC3BB81.jpeg

Evening all,

I have finally managed to catch up on Shadespire and have now painted everything released so far! I haven't photographed the Sepulchral Guard yet so will add them over the next few days.

For now though I'll show some photos of Garrek's Reavers. As per standard, the pics aren't great. I'm actually really pleased with this warband. The Reavers were definitely the least interesting of the four to me, but ended up being my favourites to paint. Even just following the WHTV videos I think they came out really well for the time invested.

Hope you like them!
Chris

2584BCB9-D174-4A62-80D0-7C86E641B658.jpeg

61C9E397-AC94-4C26-93F6-9019C83D6614.jpeg

DC71EEC0-682E-414A-BA90-5B2AA0E35F17.jpeg

D762D206-99C0-4312-BC66-4EA28F4A486F.jpeg

Hey,

So here’s some really rubbish dark pics of my Sepulchral Guard. Once again I quickly followed the WHTV guide and they came out really well. They are not at all flat as they look here. Again very happy with how these have come out for the time invested. 

Im pleased that I managed to catch up and get everything painted ahead of the Skaven release. Puts me in good stead going forward. 

I’ll be running some Shadespire demos at Boss Miniatures in Weymouth on 27/01 and will have all 4 Warbands in the cabinet. 

Enjoy,

Chris 

B19EAA7F-F297-4D74-AF05-1A440F63C4E4.jpeg

C4D41EE7-9782-4047-AD2F-153F8A212ECA.jpeg

9CA8CD76-A89D-4132-99BD-B22E42767B70.jpeg

BC900353-3A08-49A5-A2B7-C55D4E899455.jpeg

5B38C4A1-5CC3-45B8-AD18-CB9AAB09D831.jpeg

Archived