Aftermath of the GT final

Arkiham

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Turragor said:

Took me a while I'll be honest!

Blue is average placing of players who played the faction. Orange is number of players playing.

Best example is BCR - one player who placed 80 something.

See now I'm confused, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I think the way it's laid out has confused you.

Blue bar high means faction did not do well.

I screwed up the chart. Please ignore. 

20 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Man I really want to ask Byron some questions about his Order list! I even stooped to signing up for a twitter account to do it XD. I've been tossing around ideas for a similar list for months and getting some insight on his choices would be incredible. 

I'm sure we will have a lot of his insights when we record the show on the GT final. 

17 minutes ago, Lez said:

I'm sure we will have a lot of his insights when we record the show on the GT final. 

Awesome. I'm especially curious as to whether or not you guys playtested Sisters of the Thorn, larger skink units, reasoning behind changes between the BLACKOUT list and this list, and the reasoning behind the Balewind (Chris Tomlin mentioned using it to get an extra 3" forward movement, and I'm curious as to what situations those extra inches are critical for). 

Looks like a blast to play.

The graph itself is mostly irrelevant. You would need the attendance to a good amount of tournaments to do something like this and be somewhat meaningful. While i enjoy looking at silly stats as much as the next guy, i hope noone will start to think they are bottom tier 32131321 whatever because of that graph.

35 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

The graph itself is mostly irrelevant. You would need the attendance to a good amount of tournaments to do something like this and be somewhat meaningful. While i enjoy looking at silly stats as much as the next guy, i hope none will start to think they are bottom tier 32131321 whatever because of that graph.

Hear hear.

Had to do well to get an invite there anyway.

Nothing major should be taken away from it, some different opponents and some better dice and you could have seen the last place alot higher 

4 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

The graph itself is mostly irrelevant. You would need the attendance to a good amount of tournaments to do something like this and be somewhat meaningful. While i enjoy looking at silly stats as much as the next guy, i hope none will start to think they are bottom tier 32131321 whatever because of that graph.

It's good data and @The Jabber Tzeentch should be commended for putting it together. We just shouldn't draw sweeping conclusions from any one tournament. It's still a very nice snapshot of the meta, but yeah I feel that after every big tournament we all need a reminder not to over-generalize from the results.

@Ben also made the excellent point that experience really matters. When we see some of the same guys putting up excellent results in many events a big chunk of that is due to experience and skill. While I expect the level of competition at this tournament was quite high, competitive Warhammer really isn't like a game like Magic the Gathering where the Pro Tour is almost entirely composed of the top .001% of competitive players. The experience gap between the folks who play dozens if not hundreds of games with their list and your average tournament player in Age of Sigmar is almost certainly massive. That really does factor into the results heavily.

Yeah, i am mostly talking about factions and people who could react poorly to the ones that appear to be "underperforming", and the skill/experience disparity of players and their results in one single event, missions, match ups they faced, scenery, etc, there are a good amount of variables that to be normalized requires much more data than we really grind in a single tournament. What you can see tho from single events is what the top players are playing and why, as you said, a snapshot. Stats, not so much.

Not to take anything from Jabber, i actually enjoy this kind of stuff.

I would just like to mention the level of hobby that was on show this weekend. I never attended any 8th ed tournaments but I am told that there were many "dipped" armies. I am not sure I saw anything like that this weekend. I played 6 games against 6 lovely armies and kudos to @Nico for his stunning Tzeench army.

11 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Had to do well to get an invite there anyway.

Actually you'd be surprised. By the time the third Heat came around, with duplicate attendants and invites not being taken up, I believe around 70 of the 88 players ended up with invites to the Final.

I wonder if this is why they are switching to a 2 Heat format for next year.  (See @Countmoore comment below)

Thanks @Kanamorf - well done on a strong finish. I lost again to Bonesplitterz game 6 - I just went for the long shot - summoned the Nurgle dude and lobbed him in. 2+ save rerolling ones and a 5++, 16 wounds, so obviously he died in one turn of shooting even after I sniped the +1 to hit Wizard (hate Damned Terrain working on pew pew so much).

25 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Actually you'd be surprised. By the time the third Heat came around, with duplicate attendants and invites not being taken up, I believe around 70 of the 88 players ended up with invites to the Final.

I wonder if this is why they are switching to a 2 Heat format for next year.

I thought they said it was still three but the dates of heat three not finalised. Could be wrong of course

3 hours ago, Kanamorf said:

I would just like to mention the level of hobby that was on show this weekend. I never attended any 8th ed tournaments but I am told that there were many "dipped" armies. I am not sure I saw anything like that this weekend. I played 6 games against 6 lovely armies and kudos to @Nico for his stunning Tzeench army.

As someone who did play in tournaments all the way through 8th ed I'd not really agree with this.  When 8th first came out the model count spiked up significantly and we saw a drop in army standards.  By 2 years in (similar time to AOS having been out) the army standard was mostly decent, sure there were a few armies that you'd look at and they'd done the bare minimum but I'd not say it was significantly worse than what we see now.  By the end of 8th (5 years with the rules) the top end army quality was spreading quite widely, you'd easily see 1/4 of the field painted to a level you could consider competing.

I'd say AOS is flexing around that just now, the GHB putting annual changes through the makeup of armies is likely to make it a much shorter reset time on the makeup of peoples armies so we'll probably see quality cycles around that.

I'm still baffled how people can paint armies so quickly - is it at the expense of quality? e.g. 'dipping' or just doing a few base colours? Don't people take any pride in Their Dudes' appearance? Is this done generally or just for tournaments?

Or am I just inefficient taking 5 hours to paint 7 goblins nicely?

I'm glad that tournaments give points for nice painting and sportsmanship, in fact I don't think I'll attend any that do not do this. (I'd double the sports and paint points if it were up to me!) 

Slawek (10th ) is a clubmate of mine, his list was:

• Bloodsecrator (A: Brazen Rune)
  • Bloodstoker
  • 3  x slaughterpriests (Bronzed Flesh, 2xKilling Frenzy)
  • Bloodmaster herald (General, T: Immense Power, A: Crimson Crown)
  • 5 Bloodwarriors
  • 20 Bloodreavers
  • 10 Bloodreavers
  • 3x30 Bloodletters
  • Gorepilgrims
  • Murderhost

7 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I'm still baffled how people can paint armies so quickly - is it at the expense of quality? e.g. 'dipping' or just doing a few base colours? Don't people take any pride in Their Dudes' appearance? Is this done generally or just for tournaments?

I think some of it, is a lot of practise.  I know that I've significantly sped up over the past 18 months or so now that I try to hobby every evening I'm at home (even if it's only twenty minutes).  After a while you work out little speed tricks for certain colours you paint a lot of and particular ways to paint which take a shorter amount of time for an almost similar effect.  I think using the "three-foot rule" also comes into play and breaking that thought that each model needs to be perfect (as opposed to looking perfect from three-feet away) - I've still not entirely got my head round that ;)

I also believe that some people are able to freeze time having seen the quality of some armies people have produced in a couple of weeks...

8 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I'm glad that tournaments give points for nice painting and sportsmanship, in fact I don't think I'll attend any that do not do this. (I'd double the sports and paint points if it were up to me!) 

Dunno, I tend to paint armies to a far lower standard than my best.  It's not a case of lack of pride,  I want to put an army on the table to play a game. 

I want it to be coherent & look decent but I don't care that I haven't spent hours smoothing out blends & getting all the fine details that nobody will ever look at picked out.

I also like to play a bunch of different armies & have different experiences.  The result of this being my gaming also suffers as if I just played a single army I'd surely get more familiar with it and make less mistakes as a result.

For the last 6 years I've painted (over) an average of 1 model per day.  If I spent 5-6 hours on each model that would obviously drop considerably.  But because it's so high I'm able to do what I like best which is playing with a variety of stuff. 

Most people that have seen my armies consider them to be done to a more than acceptable standard for the tabletop.  I've even picked up  a few best painted awards at smaller events but don't get a look in at the big ones.

Archived