New campaign books?

chord

I think they will come back but maybe re-imagined. I'm not sure the Realmgate Wars sold very well, as they didn't really offer anything besides narrative scenarios and stories. Any new books need to be like Firestorm in offering something for matched play, I think. Same way that army books changed to offer more meat. 

Blightwar at first appeared to me like it was meant for a post realmgate wars campaign. That could have been a great deal. However after reading the booklet it was more like: Nurgle decided that getting kicked out of Ghyran was bad for buisness and instead  went to seek his fortune elsewhere spreading chicken pox and boogger flu everywhere but Ghyran.

On 09.10.2017 at 1:53 AM, Greasygeek said:

However after reading the booklet it was more like: Nurgle decided that getting kicked out of Ghyran was bad for buisness and instead  went to seek his fortune elsewhere spreading chicken pox and boogger flu everywhere but Ghyran.

Well, it's logical, he needs time to regroup his forces in Ghyran, in the meantime he can conquer new lands where there are no angry trees and draw his enemies's attention from Ghyran.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, Auticus said:

Considering that it would seem very very few people bought any of the realmgate war books, I'd say that the fact we haven't seen anything for some time is telling that GW is regrouping.  I'd say with Firestorm's release that the inclusion of Matched Play rules is something that they are going to have to do with the campaign books as well, because the narrative crowd seems to be very very tiny and not worth the trouble producing material for solo.  

Those are good points.  It's a bummer they did not sell as well as I think they deserved.   They were packed full of content (lore, rules, battleplans, etc).

I've got zero interest in firestorm so I'm still holding out hope. 

2 hours ago, Auticus said:

My heart hurts as well, because when AOS first released and I saw that the push was more on narrative gaming I was excited.  That excitement quickly turned to ash though as I realized just how rare players are that want to do narrative gaming over competitive gaming.

The books at our store were largely returned.  Only a couple guys in the entire group that played bought any of the books until GW started releasing matched play options.  Once the matched play stuff came out, everyone bought books again, but it took that to get any books sold.

Narrative-only releases simply do not sell at all.  Not even a tiny bit.  This has me worried for the future of more campaign books.

Same here our local GW only sold a handful.  Of course our local GW is under 2 years old. 

I would buy firestorm if they sold me just the book.  Super not interested in maps, or tokens.  Plus we don't have a regular gaming group so a prolonged campaign won't work.  

Just not sure GW is for me lately.  Love the models, like playing without any allegiance abilities, etc (just plain old warscrolls), not interested in firestorm, or shadespire, or matched play (GHB2017 was a let down)

I'll take Narrative supplements any way I can get them.  What I would like to see though is more modular options.  Something along the lines of the old Cities of Death, Planetstrike, and Battle Missions books for 40K 4th and 5th Edition.  Those were awesome books, and fit in just fine for Open, Narrative, and Matched Play (even before those terms were used).  Path to Glory kind of did that, I think.  I haven't been able to get it yet, and there's not enough demand for AoS in my area, to the point that my FLGS doesn't stock the latest AoS stuff unless one of us orders something.

I still have not picked up the Realmgate Wars books.  I just can't afford to grab them all at once, and one is a strain on my hobbying budget.  I really, REALLY want to get them, but nearly $300 USD for a few books is pushing it.  They're on my list, but I'm trying to focus my attention on building my armies and scenery up to a point that I can run demos.

All that said, I'm picking up my copy of Firestorm tonight!  I hope it's as awesome as I'm thinking it is!

1 minute ago, chord said:

Firestorm is the same price as a campaign book and imo the campaign book is a better (but admittedly dated).

... sure enough, they are.  I was thinking the Realmgate books were each about $15 to $25 USD higher than they are.  Well, daggum!  I guess it's time to add them to my collection of the next few months!

I recommend the Realmgate Wars books they are excellent,  

GW isn’t regrouping over losses incurred from the Realmgate Wars  books, firstly they don’t make much (if any)!of their money from sales of campaign books they make that from miniature sales, the books are there to introduce the new setting and without them AoS wouldn’t have had any context.  Creating a setting for AoS was an important part of getting people to buy miniatures for it. 

They use Campaign books to developenthe story lines of their games, both AoS and 40K, when they are ready to introduce the other major players/locations in AoS we’ll get more campaign books. 

Finally from a business point this year is probably all about 40K for them and they’ll be concentrating their resources on it and trying to focus the customer base on that. 

Edit: Firestorm is a campaign book (and more), it presents in a different way but it is a continuation on from the Realmgate Wars. 

Archived