Pale Orcs (Tale of X gamers)

StuG

Been a slow week,

At first I was paralysed by indecision on how I'd do my Boars, but settled on a dark coat to contrast the riders. No black though as it's a ****** to highlight.

Had to see my Grandad in hospital yesterday which would normally be my hobby day and I got up early this morning to make up for lost time only to find my dog had got out and ransacked our back garden (soil everywhere!!). So that was my morning.

Still managed to get them to pre-dip and tattoo stage which isn't too bad and also completed my Wierdnob on Boar with mask. The idea being he's a cheaper model than the Prophet and a bit more mobile so I can go hunt big things and try and stare them down.

Next weeks aim is to get the next 5 boarboys done and make some progress (if not complete) the Wierdnob. Fingers crossed for this week :)

Photo 27-11-2017, 14 01 25.jpg

Photo 21-11-2017, 11 16 31.jpg

So this week I've done another 10 arrowboys (waiting for the weather to sort itself out so I can do some spray varnish/priming).

So here's an explanation on how I do my pale orc skin.

Firstly a thorough prime, onece over on the sprue and also then after assembly so I cover the whole model. To make the process as quick as possible I use the white primer as my final highlight and work back, an underhighlight if you will.

I then use a layer of really thinned down rakarth flesh, I use thinner but i'm not sure if water will work as when it dries it leaves tide marks where thinner is less likely to do. I thin it down it's pretty much wash consistency, It won't behave like a wash though as it's quite light and pigmented differently.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Whilst applying this layer I use my thumb and little finger to rub away at the extremities leaving the white undercoat showing and the rakarth flesh layering into the recesses.

I will then generally do all the details pretty much in base base colours but i'll skip that as we're just concentrating on the flesh.

I then use Athonian Camo shade as it's clearly green but more of a dirty less sharp green and again get quite liberal with it and agaian rubbing at the extremities to leave the white showing from the primer, this over the top of the rakarth flesh gives it and impression of staged highlighting (sort of).

Once everything is done and dried it gets a painted layer of Dark tone dip from army painter. I find this helps to line the model and tone it down slightly as up to now the tnes have all been quite light and chalky, It also acts as a varnish layer too adding protection.

Next I will dulcote varnish them to take away the dark tone dip varnish shine, add a layer of protection and finally I add the freehand blood tattooos taken straight from the GW 'blood for the blood god' paint.....  and we're done.

I find this a great way of creating the impression i tried hard when actually it's a lazy and efficient way of getting a lot of models done and looking respectable in a short space of time. I find this works well with any largely flesh covered model or even fully clothed uniform type troops (like my Bolt Action converted Australians pictured).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I don't think it works well with any broadly armoured mini though such as space marines or infinity tags etc ...

Cheers,

Photo 09-12-2017, 10 43 58.jpg

Photo 06-12-2017, 11 47 28.jpg

Photo 16-09-2017, 13 57 09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So that brings me to a close (sort of), this is 1600 pts done and ready to go.

The challenge isn't over till our next 'skulls and thunder' tournament on the 13th of Jan. 
So hopefully i've got a 'rogue idol' waiting for me tomorrow taking me up to a sweet 2k, not sure how I'm going to do him but probably covered in gore and made of black slate to fit in with the rest of my army.  I've also discovered plumbers tape which I may use to lash crude bone and wooden spears to him to make him look extra nasty watch this space ...

All in all i'm pretty chuffed

Photo 24-12-2017, 14 51 46.jpg

Photo 24-12-2017, 14 52 00.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing looking army, the paler tone works really well for the orcs, though it would have been interested to see them completely white, without the green shades... mmm... might have to do orcs someday... However the aesthetic you have going on is incredible, great work!

Finally finished the big boy taking me to 2k points:

- Warboss
- Wurgogg Prophet
- Weirdboy

- 30 Arrowboys
- 30 Arrowboys
- 5 Boarboys
- 5 Boarboys

- 2 Stabbaz
- Stone Idol (allied)
- Kunnin Rukk

Overall I've quite enjoyed doing a Tale of X gamers but in future will probably pick a lower model count Army as it did my head in a bit when I wanted to paint other things but had to stay disciplined and finish the next batch of boys.  I also underestimated  the amount of commitment initially. Glad to done now and looking forward to focusing  on something else to do.

Overall pretty chuffed, I think the list is reasonable and now looking forward to rolling a bunch of dice

Photo 11-01-2018, 15 20 35.jpg

Photo 11-01-2018, 15 20 52.jpg

Photo 11-01-2018, 15 22 52.jpg

Archived