Let's chat : Wraith Fleet

Peegee

So now that Firestorm is released we can discuss this new "allegeance", much needed in the desert we're stuck in at the moment.

Pros : we finally have access to movement shenanigans for other units than FEC.

Skeletons blocks popping in the ass is a threat the enemy can't avoid. 

Same with Vampire Lord on Zombie Sea Serpent.

The limitation to GA for the Fleet is not such a problem considering we only lose Soulblight option as an allegeance (Nighthaunt already had the same ability).

It's stackable with both Deathrattle formations. 

Cons : the big downside is the keyword limitation, no Deathlords almost force you to the VLoZD-Mourngul choice.

The 3+ randomness might put you in trouble if you fail landing much of your army on the table.

I'm already playing GA and since the Fleet is "free" to take I want to give it a try.

What do you guys feel about it ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah for GA Death in particular this seems like a wise choice to at least circumvent the issues that many Factions have in terms of having extremely limited Hero choices for the moment. Still don't know enough about Firestorm to give full detailed reviews on it though. Guess Ill have to pick up the book afterall...

Yeah I think pirate Undead are the best kind of Undead. It would also be really cool if GW would re-release some of the pirate vampire models as they are fantastic aswell and would easily clear up what's going on with the army. I'll try to update the topic with some insight asap, if anyone else can do that earlier feel free to do so offcourse! :D 

And they specifically mentioned it as a good unit to send in wraith style in the article. 

Do we have any good units that give a bravey debuff to send in? 

For my deathrattle I'm thinking sending grave guard in if they can be set up within 9" as a shock troop. 

Maaaybe black knights but they're still so lackluster without buffs (aka dance macabre). 

Love the ship, I think that for Death players who dont play Flesh Eaters this is an upgrade in general. 

Without Warning to me seems like a good choice and what is most ideal is that it can apply to any unit, no Keyword questions asked. It strikes as essentially a more reliable summonning that circumvents the whole magical requirements. In addition because it's done in the Movement phase it can also be done 'at the end' meaning you have good places to choose from. Not bad for supporting units at all.

Nimbus of Shrieking Spirit then should provide a nice Bravery debuff. It seems to be able to stack in my eyes so that certainly should mean that with the right support choice you should be able to make some use out of this. 

It's a bit sad that it's limited to Soulblight, Deathmages, Deathrattle and Nighthaunt but if that's your army composition anyway it's better as nothing. In general I think it's save to say this is an improvement most Death players can really work with. In that same honest opinion I don't think this is what Death now has that makes them suddenly Tier 1 but it's getting closer. Supernatural Horror should allow for some Bravery losses, alternatively Death Incarnate can be interesting too if the set up turns out like you want.

My tactic will probably be to strike from the sides with 2 units of grave guard while my blob of skeleton warriors march in from the front with summoned support of Morghast Archais (using the summoning sword) to give my opponent several headaches from multiple fronts. I mean, it's gotta be better than walking in?

Sounds like a valid enough strategy, granted I'd likely go for faster pieces comming in at the side, so they can join the battle of go for Hero hunting. It's the Hero hunting part I think Death can still do really well and keeps them semi-competative in the first place. Which is indeed odd and a whole possible topic to talk about aswell. What I'd personally try to put in especially for these rules would be small cheap units for nothing other than benifiting from the bonus and trying to grab objectives or Heroes. My knowledge of Death is way too limited to come up with a list yet, but the tactical variance should open some doors of succes. The second question I have is if there is any Battalion that is allowed and mixes well with this...

Main problem I see is that you would lose your deathless minion save as you now have to choose your allegiance according to the FAQ.  I was originally looking at night haunt + mortis engines, but not sure if it' worth losing Deathless minions for it. 

1 hour ago, bonzai said:

True, but then you give up wrath fleet allegiance which was kind of the point to begin with.

i believe you have that wrong, the wraith fleet allegiance can be taken on top of the Death grand alliance  allegiance, you getting the befits for both. from what i can work out you cannot take the wraith fleet allegiance with factions allegiances like soulblight when playing match play.

1 hour ago, Sennyo said:

i believe you have that wrong, the wraith fleet allegiance can be taken on top of the Death grand alliance  allegiance, you getting the befits for both. from what i can work out you cannot take the wraith fleet allegiance with factions allegiances like soulblight when playing match play.

I just rechecked, and you are right. That' much better!

Archived