Events UK: Curse of the Katophranes - Skirmish Matched Play - 20/10 Results

Chris Tomlin

Event Title: Curse of the Katophranes - Skirmish Matched Play - 20/10 Results
Event Author: Chris Tomlin
Calendar: Events UK
Event Date: 10/19/2017 07:00 PM to 10/19/2017 10:30 PM

Morning all,

I am running a matched play event for Age of Sigmar Skirmish at my local club in a couple of weeks time. This was primarily intended for club members, but I have been given the greenlight by @Paul Buckler to advertise this.

The event does take place on a Thursday evening (19th October) in deepest darkest dogging Dorset, so I appreciate it may not be practical to attend. If you are local-ish, within around an hours drive, I can promise it'll be worth your time to attend. Skirmish is a lot of fun and these little events are a great way to play it. You also don't need a day pass from the other half!

Where: Dogger HQ, just outside of Dorchester (Please DM @Paul Buckler for details if interested)
When: Thursday 19th October
What Time: 19:00 - 22:30 (please note that when I ran this event at BLACKOUT, we finished around 25 mins early)

The full pack can be found here;

http://traffic.libsyn.com/theblacksun/blackout_skirmish.pdf

Thanks to @bottle for creating this originally for the Friday side event at BLACKOUT. We will be using this completely (please note the house rules), with the exception of the schedule, which will all be moved forward an hour and a half.

There are some nice trophies available for 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, Best Warband and Best Opponent. The last two are to be voted upon by players.

There are 24 places available and the entry cost will be dependant on the number of attendants (trophy cost divided by the number of players is the only factor). It will be £3.50 at very maximum.

Grudges are encouraged!

Hopefully that covers everything. Would be great to get 20+ players out for Skirmish on a Thursday night!

Chris

Curse of the Katophranes - Skirmish Matched Play - 20/10 Results

• Like 2

Entrants

1. Aaron Bailey - @Forestreveries
  2. Ben Chalk - @Bueno
  3. Gary Hennessey - @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary)
  4. James Eveleigh
  5. Jan Proudley - @Clankers86
  6. Matt Bennett
  7. Matt Darkins
  8. Matt Lyons - @Cowboy Boots Matt
  9. Paul Buckler - @Paul Buckler
  10. Paul Petford - @ppetford
  11. Steve Phillips - @#SteveJames
  12. Tom Hutchings - @Tom Hutchings
  13. Tom Hewitt - @Tom Hewitt

In the case of odd numbers, I will play.

Round One Draw

• Matt Darkins vs Aaron Bailey
  • Chris Tomlin vs Jan Proudley
  • Ben Chalk vs Paul Petford
  • James Eveleigh vs Gary Hennessey
  • Tom Hewitt vs Steve Phillips
  • Matt Bennett vs Tom Hutchings
  • Paul Buckler vs Matt Lyons

We also have some sponsorship from the fantastic Element Games! £5 voucher codes will be given to 1st Place, Best Warband and Best Opponent. There are also 2x £10 voucher codes that will be awarded for specific achievements (to be announced on the day). Here is a photo of the fantastic trophies up for grabs as well (they are big!);

IMG_1860.JPG

For those of you not attending, be sure to follow along at home - I will be trying to Periscope as much as possible during the event on Thursday night. Looks like I'm playing as spare player now so this will not be as much as I would've liked! Still, check out my Twitter @the_black_sun

Cheers,
Chris

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Some more photos of the trophies here and my warband for playing as the spare player (scores will not be inputted and I will play the lowest ranked player each round);

50 Renown (49)

• Herald of Tzeentch (24)
  • Varanguard(20)
  • 5 Giant Rats (5)

60 Renown (60)

• Varanguard(20)
  • Skyfire (11)
  • 5 Giant Rats (5)

70 Renown (70)

• Varanguard(20)
  • Skyfire (11)
  • Putrid Blightking (7)
  • 8 Giant Rats (8)

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

• Like 2

Morning all,

So Curse of the Katophranes took place last night and was great fun! Really enjoyed the format, works really well for a club night and actually feels like a bit of a bonus in the week as you're not using a weekend day for it. Still kept a tournament feel I believe and the frantic nature of the quicker games creates a real buzz.

Thanks to @Paul Buckler for hosting and providing mats/terrain at Dogger HQ and of course to everyone who showed up on a frankly horrendously dark, wet and windy Thursday night. Special thanks to @Tom Hewitt & @Bueno who had even longer journeys to get home. Also thanks to @Drakira for helping out with the awards ceremony and @Tom Hutchings for picking me up from the train station!! A final word of thanks to Element Games for sponsoring the event.

I was genuinely impressed with the standard of the warbands on show and was particularly pleased that some people had even finished models specifically for the event. Even as we were wrapping down last night people such as @#SteveJames were considering the prospects of doing a new project just for Skirmish, which is super cool.

If you want to see pics of the warbands, @Cowboy Boots Matt took some photos on the @ProPainted Twitter account (be sure to check out the new podcast as well). The lighting was pretty dark but he made do with the aid of a camping light!

There's some videos and pics on my Twitter account (@the_black_sun) as well and you can use the hashtag #CotK to find it all. I did end up as spare player so wasn't able to do as much coverage as I hoped, but you'll still get a feel for it. Onto the winners;

• 1st Place - Tom Hutchings (Order) @Tom Hutchings
  • 2nd Place - Matt Darkins (Order) @Biscotti Monster
  • 3rd Place - Paul Petford (Order) @ppetford
  • Best Warband* - Ben Chalk (Chaos) @Bueno
  • Best Opponent** - Gary Hennessey (Chaos) @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary)
  • Element Games Spot Prize 1*** - Gary Hennessey (Chaos)
  • Element Games Spot Prize 2**** - James Eveleigh (Chaos)

* Ben took 9/13 votes. The other 4 went to Gary Hennessey (2), @Tom Hewitt (1) and Matt Bennett (1)
** 9/13 players received sports votes, with Gary getting 3/3! Crazy good.
* **Awarded to the first player to lose a model to Crumbling terrain.
**** Awarded to the player who uncovered the most treasure hoards in Treasure Hunt. James tied this 3-3 with @#SteveJames, so the tie break was whoever lost the most models to the arcane storm in Seize the Relic.

Overall standings (I did not include myself as spare player), I will include a photo with kill points etc later on;

1. Tom Hutchings (Order) @Tom Hutchings
  2. Matt Darkins (Order) @Biscotti Monster
  3. Paul Petford (Order) @ppetford
  4. Ricky Mee (Order) @ChippyRick
  5. Paul Buckler (Order) @Paul Buckler
  6. Matt Bennett (Chaos) @RipVanWiggy
  7. Tom Hewitt (Order) @Tom Hewitt
  8. Ben Chalk (Chaos) @Bueno
  9. Matt Lyons (Order) @Cowboy Boots Matt
  10. Aaron Bailey (Chaos) @Forestreveries
  11. Steve Phillips (Chaos) @#SteveJames
  12. Gary Hennessey (Chaos) @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary)
  13. James Eveleigh (Chaos)

Well done to everyone, I had a really fun time. This is definitely something I'd like to run again and there is space at Dogger HQ to accommodate more players, so perhaps the reach could be slightly greater next time. Would be awesome to see some new faces as well.

Cheers,
Chris

• Like 2