Hobby Goals You'd Like To Achieve

RuneBrush

2 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I think we all know HOW to do it. You paint what you have and then you go and buy new stuff to paint!

It never seems to work out that way though.

I definitely want to keep it under control for a bit though. I'm going to try and restrict myself to books and paint/hobby stuff for a few months while I get the models I have painted. Unless they release new Elves ... :)

I'm actually doing pretty good in that regard, at least better than I used to, anyways.  I'm painting up my Ironjawz, but I'm gathering the models for my Dispossessed army slowly over time as I can find bundles or deals on them.  Speaking of such, I was perusing the used mini tubs at my FLGS, and found a bag of Dwarf bits for $2.  I grabbed it because I saw an assortment of bits that included legs and torsos.  I inspect it at home, and turns out I can make 16 full Warriors, which is equal to a new box contains, but at 6% of MSRP.  Woohoo!  And to top it off, they are NOT the same as what's in the current box, so I'm guessing that they are REALLY old.

Anyways, what I'm doing is slowing building up the models for my next two or three armies that I'd like to build as I can find them on sale or in bargains.  So I'm keeping my eyes open for any decent cost Dispossessed/Dwarves, Warherd/Minotaurs, Beastclaw/Gutbusters, or other items for my project list.  Plus I'm gathering up models for my wife and step-daughter's armies as well at an equally slow rate, since they are busy during the school year and won't do much hobbying until Christmas and Summer Break.  Sure, I'm still gathering up more models than I am getting painted, but it's at a much more reasonable pace, and they are for models that I keep wishing that I had, and I have paint schemes in mind for them too.

Sigmar help me if one of my choice armies gets an update though.  Then I'll be in trouble 9_9

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My immediate hobby goals are fairly straight forward, painting the Stormcast force that I have assembled as of now (3000+ points), which I've started working on.

My more long term goals are to set up a proper 8x4 gaming table with plenty of scenery, and to have enough Stormcast (painted) to be able to field any battalion available to my Stormcasts. Quite possibly, my long term goals are really long term :)

@RuneBrush well, I've worked as an army commission painter for near 10 years so I can bust out a tabletop 2k army in a week or two depending. It help to not have an average 9-5 style job like I assume most people have. I can kinda work around my own schedule with stuff. 

Yeah, NMM is a challenge for sure. I've done some minor stuff before years back but never anything fully so large as a whole automatic of armor. It'll only be like 24 guys, which I may add more to later if I like the army enough. But it's also practice for my crystal, capital, and golden daemon entries, to get the hang of it when enough. 

But to be honest, I'm scared ****** of doing that much NMM. Especially of falling into that "meh, this looks good enough -" pit. :P

5 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

I can bust out a tabletop 2k army in a week or two depending

:o it would take me a couple of weeks just to get 2000 pts off the sprues and built.

I usually just build a unit one day, prime it the next day or maybe the same day then do a bit of work on painting each day or most days until its done. Then i get the next unit out of the boxes and start over. If the unit is bigger than 20 models I do them 20 at a time.

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

:o it would take me a couple of weeks just to get 2000 pts off the sprues and built.

I usually just build a unit one day, prime it the next day or maybe the same day then do a bit of work on painting each day or most days until its done. Then i get the next unit out of the boxes and start over. If the unit is bigger than 20 models I do them 20 at a time.

That's not a bad process, helps to not lose ones mind for sure!

I can be everything out into piles, clean each pile, glue each pile. That makes it go a lot faster for me. 

But mean, the depending part is always: do I want to make each model posed and characterized? Well then yea, both assembly and painting starts taking a lot longer for the project. But an average tabletop army, it can be banged out pretty quickly when one has a god routine down. having done this for so long, I generally know my assembly line and station, I do very few mistakes and splatter due to years of working with yellow armies (can't mess up on yellow! ?) so all that practice helped for sure. In addition, going from big messy to small and detailed helps to get a lot of big areas covered quickly. 

I'm hoping to get my full Clan Pestilens army painted by the start of November for Blood and Glory,  beyond that I need to get my hobby room sorted properly.

Would you consider running a wargame youtube channel as part of the hobby? :/

i need to paint more and buy less. i just bought some plastic though.

I switched from 30k to AoS, because I had quickly started three armies, which now sit in various stages (all painted, build, bought to various degrees) without having something playable.  Space marine armor can take forever (depending on the overall visual goals), so now i jumped into a tzeentch force and hope to have 1000 pts build before the end of the year.

If all goes well other projects I am eying already are 1000 pts KO and NH :) or just a direct expansion to 2000 pts ...

long term i need my 30k projects to be finished slowly while collecting a small number AoS armies, terrain bits and custom markers for each faction.

I need to keep project focus. The longets to date was Word Bearers fr a year. I usually sell in bulk too, or try, to fund thr next project. Trolls ar ekeeping me very distracted and because im custom building I think I may just not let this one go as theres so mch conversion, I simply couldnt ever replace it. I don't mind the not painting too job ch as Im constantly tweaking miniatures with Gs and the odd cnversion/recut etc. 

My biggest hobby goal is to one day play an actual game, never fought an opponent, never had an army of mine clash on the Tabletop. This is down to me never seeing an army through though, not for lack of opponents.

On 06/10/2017 at 8:08 AM, RuneBrush said:

@Praecautus That does sound like it'll take you into next year quite comfortably!  Space Hulk and all of the boxed games are really interesting because they've very much a project in a box, once they're done you can happily pop them on the shelf knowing that when you get the box out for a game it's all painted (you can get foam inserts that fit in the box for all the models too)

Yep made sure to get myself some nice foam to keep it all safe - comes with an insert below to store the board sections too.

Alas I am weak and added another chaos chariot to the pile, mainly as I want the charioteer to be a blood warrior Glaive wielder.

Not sure about building the rest of the chariot w death bringer on back or as a piece of scenery ie crashed chariot

IMG_0389.JPG

Great reading other people's hobby stuff here. I've been of TGA for a while because I have been focusing on getting an army together for 40k. It's been 3 months and I am nearly at 1000 points of Death Guard painted, I even had my Easy to Build Plague Marines put on the GW store page for them which I guess preemptively creates and ticks off a goal! 

As for the rest of it, well it's a long list dependent on money more than anything as I am in a rubbish period for cash, but ideally...

Figure out what to do in AoS!

• I have a mishmash of Nurgle,  so I hope they get an update giving me some direction.
  • Sort out my Kharadron - I stalled before getting a second battleline done, maybe an allied force would help me get it to 1k
  • Source a single Pallador for my Stormcast Skirmish Warband, before my enthusiasm for the project fizzles out

Finish off 40k

• Gotta get that deathguard army to around 1.5k to feel happy, maybe even complete all the details on Mortarion that I can barely face going back to after 80 hours of painting him.
  • Convert a Daemon Prince into a Death Guard Daemon Prince - bit of an all or nothing hobby goal this as i've never really done GreenStuff conversions

Smaller games

• Buy and paint Shadespire to get other people into the hobby - deliriously excited for the Skaven set.
  • Buy and Paint Necromunda to get other people into the hobby - also come up with a Cool 80s gang.

I'll be back in 2020 to let you all know I am stuff stuck on point 1.

Good luck to everyone else!

I'm having a lot of fun playing Warhammer with the One Page Rules ruleset lately, an one of my goals is to get together a Fyreslayer warband, but they are so damn expensive!  I would be perfectly happy with a box of Hearthguard, a box of Vulkite Berzerkers, a Hero (probably the Runemaster re-box from Silver tower as he can be had for cheap) and one of the Rune Golems from Fantasy Flight's Runewars game.  But man, oh, man....just that is nearly $150 dollars, for a single 40mm-based monster and  16 Dwarf figures, and even after I convince myself to spend that kind of money, I will be facing all that bare flesh to paint!

I think for me, i would just like to care about the hobby like I used to. I've never had a sizeable army before, or a painted army let alone a painted unit. I think for me i would like the confidence to stick with the hobby rather than to have to just call it quits after all these years ^^;;;

I just got the first part of my GT STudio Orc Warband Kickstarter of all female Orcs lead by a queen.  Pretty awesome so I have diverted my other projects for now to build them up for at least a Skirmish force.

I also want to finish up rebasing and painting some of my older Chaos figures as that has been coming quite nicely.

I went in for the Blightwar box so at some point I need to get back to those forces, both sides.

I also have a lot of stuff remaining to paint from my Raging Heroes TGG2 kickstarter as I have the Void and Lust Aelves as Slanneshi forces and they are looking pretty good so far.  The ladies riding flying stingrays are awesome and the worm riders are so freaking cool.

I have quite a few smaller forces painted now which could be good for a half dozen different skirmish forces but I have not come up with a real plan for a 2000 point army other than mixed Chaos and even though I like how It looks on the table, on paper it doesn't really ring out as thematic or special enough so I have to figure out what to add to make it make more story sense (also, it utilizes a lot of non-GW stuff so I have been coming up with alternate builds for GW-only store/events but those rely so heavily on old miniatures - some look goofy mixed into the new aesthetic).

The Long Term Aim, is to have a Gaming room.. Large Table (8' by 4') Display Cases.. not just the standard glass tower but one with the space (2' x 6') for several armies on parade displays. These contain 4 ~10,000k 'armies'.. 2 Fantasty (AOS), 2 Si-fi (40k), along with associated terrain and accessorys. So I can have a friends over and we can break out an appoc style game with just my own models.. Its my Dream! 

For now I will settle on geting my Chaos and Death AOS armies to a 2000' pts fully painted with a working list that I can take to a event and win about 1/2 my games. with my 40K stuff I need to get my Imperials up to 8th edd ready, and paint what I have left for my 40K chaos (its already over 7,500 in power levels)   

On 16/10/2017 at 7:46 PM, ForeverMonty said:

I can barely get 10 pink horrors painted...an army each feels like a mountain :D

Don't worry, with practice you'll get quicker and learn new tricks to speed things up.  I'd never fully painted an army until I got my Bloodbound and pushed myself to do a few events (the pressure of a deadline makes you paint more quickly!).  With units it's also best to batch paint, so you could split your horrors into two sets of five models each and then make sure you finish one "item" on a set before stopping (an item could be painting all of the teeth or balefire etc)

Yeah and whatever you do,.don't make the batches too large. It.becomes really tedious to repeat the same process 20 times if it is one that requires some finesse. 

My project right now is to finally finish my sylvaneth army that i started two months ago (need to paint the eyes on my dryads, yellow highligh on their leafs and finally i will be done!) And homemade my sylvaneth wyldwood.

After that, khorne awaits and each passing day i am more and more anxious because i really want to paint them but i am struggling with my completionist self who also really wants to have the sylvaneth army fully finished.

Archived