Hobby Goals You'd Like To Achieve

RuneBrush

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of an order but i will probably juggle all of them...

1. Finish my death army "dethklok" led by nagash. Natahn explosion on zombie dragon, skwisgaar as Arkhan the black (magic fingers and sexy too), etc. 

2. Finish my hammerstrike force 1000pts stormcast in full gold NMM armor in time  for Nova open2018 AOS team tourney. 

2.1 finish my display piece for Capital Brush 2018

3. Make my khorne go from tabletop to better paintjob. 

This would make me have at least 1000pts functional army of each grand alliance, with a top quality paint job. I hope i can achieve this in the next couple lf years in between commissions. 

Oh, right..

4. Paint archeon with 6 Varanguard.

Right now I have lain out some smaller goals for a much larger problem.

1. Paint 2,000 points of Tzeentch. That's is 95 (of which I have finished 84 as of this posting) models for my current list, and roughly 2/3 of my collection.

2. Paint all my Oni, Emissaries, and remaining Spirits for Malifaux. That is about 20 models. I probably have 100 unpainted.

3. Paint a 2,000 point Stormcast list. My current list is 25 models. That is out of about 100 models and over 9,000 points (including 4 Stardrakes).

4. Finish my Pokemon themed Circle army for Hordes. Infuriating models to paint. But only about 20 smaller and 1 large one to go.

5. Paint my Dropfleet Commander fleet. Its only about 15 models, and they are all spaceships, how hard could it be? Oh right, I picked Shaltari.

6. Cry as my avalanche of 219 The Other Side models arrive from the KS.

7. Acquire my Ironjawz army.

8. Paint Archon to to finish off my old VCs collection. Close to 150 painted models, and he is the only thing not.

In no particular order:

Clear out the hordes of stuff I don't play, and streamline my hobby to better enjoy it. 

Get my Stormcast painted and... actually play some AoS! My local group contains some heavy hitters like @Countmoore (and Nige), so it's a bit daunting. 

Try to enjoy gaming, despite not being very good at it. I absolutely leathered a mate at Dark Age the other week, so I do have some wins in me somewhere. 

Generally try and be more active in the AoS scene. Seems like an alright bunch. 

Cheers.

I got my first 2000 point army "table ready" for Blackout this year. My next task is to refine my list to be more competitive and get them fully painted, not just base colours etc. I refuse to touch another army until this is done!

Unfortunately my standards, spare time and speed of painting means I'll be looking at 2019 before it's done...

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

In no particular order:

Clear out the hordes of stuff I don't play, and streamline my hobby to better enjoy it. 

Get my Stormcast painted and... actually play some AoS! My local group contains some heavy hitters like @Countmoore (and Nige), so it's a bit daunting. 

Try to enjoy gaming, despite not being very good at it. I absolutely leathered a mate at Dark Age the other week, so I do have some wins in me somewhere. 

Generally try and be more active in the AoS scene. Seems like an alright bunch. 

Cheers.

I’ll bring a fluff list if you want mate. Got a darkling coven force that’s pretty cool but none competitive I’d like to give a run out to. 

Have a few and they always seem just out of reach as I keep buying more!!!! but...

1.   Finish my Sylvaneth Army. Only have 9 to paint (although one is Alarielle so that may take some time)

2.  Get my Mortal Nurgle army going, have nearly 2000pts (most of it still boxed)

3.  Buy, Build and paint 2000pts of Spiderfang Grots (have some)

4.  Buy, Build and paint 2000pts of Death (have some)

5. Stop buying more than I can paint!

Hmmm thats a start I suppose

Hmmm like many of y'all I also have several goals. Here are the ones with the highest priorities:

- Build all the Seraphon for the Starbeast Constellation

- Build one of each Seraphon models at least

- Build a 2K Death army with mostly Deathrattle

- Build a 1k or 1.5K army of Sylvaneth

- have one army or list for each of the following play types:
-- horde infantry (Deathrattle)
-- elite  (???)
-- cavalry (???)
-- magic heavy (Seraphon)
-- shooting heavy
-- artillery heavy
-- assassin centered
-- ...???

-- have at least one army of every Grand Alliance

- finish some terrain pieces

1 hour ago, Countmoore said:

I’ll bring a fluff list if you want mate. Got a darkling coven force that’s pretty cool but none competitive I’d like to give a run out to. 

Sensational mate, I will be in touch to arrange! 

1. Get my own house (Preferbly with a garage to hide me in)

2. Convert a decent space to have friends round.

3. Get a nice modular board made with scenery for gaming on.

I really do have a lot of models, the thing I lack is games. This is clearly the dream and objective for me for the forseeable future, but as soon as 1. is done, I expect the other 2 to follow very quickly. Can't reqally do 2 and 3 in my current house as its too small :(

1) Finish my Shadowblades army 

2) Have the motivation and time to do it before they start consideration for GHB18.  Small fear they’ll sweep the army under the rug because ‘no one’ plays it.

3) Make time to go to a major event or two, just to be the odd man out.  I’d REALLY like to make the trip across the pond to the UK for this. I’d love to meet those who have been helpful, supportive, but most of all, respectful, of MY choice of army.

4) Have a second AoS force to switch it up for my regular group, or loan to a new player.  This could be finishing my still unopened Nighthaunts, or expanding my Dark Aelves to include an Order Serpentis force. 

5) Make the Pilgrimmage to Warhammer World.  I’ve been playing GW games since 85 (Space Hulk / Blood Bowl).  This is my Mecca.

In an effort to throw in a random post that isn't one of the current hot topics, I was musing earlier about hobby goals that I'd like to do, but haven't yet.  I don't mean things that are un-achievable but things that could potentially happen for you at some point in the future.

I've a couple of things that I'd like to achieve at some point.  An army for each Grand Alliance is my "simple" goal and I'm already part way there with it with one done, two currently WIP which leaves one left to do.  But I'd also like to run a decent sized gaming event - full thematic narrative with custom battleplans and similar, it goes without saying that this is a future goal!

So what hobby goals do you all have (if any)?

Hobby Goals is something I’ve done for a number of years. Mostly it has revolved around paint [x] army this year, paint [y] number of models.  All of which have been efficient motivators and provided useful direction.

This year I set out with a quite different goal – paint less models but try to paint to a higher standard.  I would say I have spectacularly failed at it so far.  GW keeps pumping out cool new stuff and I don’t seem to be able to keep myself from buying a lot of ‘the new hotness’.

Projects sat waiting I have Stormcast Eternals, Khorne Bloodbound, Disciples of Tzeentch, Skaven, Kharadron Overlords, Deathlords and I’ve just agreed to pick up (another) Sylvaneth Army. I also have lots of older models which I’ve owned since 8th edition that never got painted and others that are painted but never got transferred over to round bases.

That said I’ve still been highly productive, at the time of writing I’ve painted 304 models in 2017, 246 of which have been for AOS.  I have also run out of space to display painted models which is leading to another fantastic development, I am finally selling off old projects I don’t care about.  To date this has mostly been old models/unpainted projects but I have also sold off models I bought for other games which I’ve ended up never playing and an AOS army I painted for use at the 6 Nations event (I didn’t even play with it!).  In the last month I’ve sold off Necromunda, Chaos Dwarfs and Bolt Action armies.

With GHB 2017 I’ve decided I’m not going to ever want all my old armies.  The new stuff is cool and while armies like Seraphon are getting a new lease of life and I could play with them there are only so many days in a year and I simply don’t have enough time to play everything I’d like to play with.

This has led to me continuing to churn models to clear the backlog rather than focussing on anything I particularly want to do.

So what am I committing to as my resolution, it’s nothing as grand and as stupid as ‘no new projects’ I know myself well enough to understand how unreasonable that would be as I like the new shiny, I like painting and I like to be engaged in the hobby.  Cutting myself off from the new is blatantly a stupid idea.

No, I’m not fully painting everything I own either, that is far too ridiculous a proposition to achieve in a year.  Even at painting 1/day for the last 5 years I’ve barely put a dent into what I own.  I’ve just sold off a full Chaos Dwarf army that never got painted for goodness sake!

I am going to:

1. Limit myself to my 2 main game systems only, no speculative expansions into new games that I don’t have enough time to play. (my two systems are AoS & Guild Ball by the way).  This means I will not be buying Shadespire, path to glory, skirmish, Necromunda and whatever else GW throws my way despite the idea of most of these games being really cool.

2. Clear out more of the old projects & armies which will never see light of day.  This is one I’ve always been loath to do as during 8th edition my aim was to own all 16 armies, now that number is far higher and far less likely to ever happen!

3. Continue to fully paint the new projects and try not to overbuy for them.  A classic example of this is my Khorne army:

I’ve got painted 30 bloodletters 20 bloodwarriors, 20 reavers but have another 10 blood warriors, 40 odd reavers, 10 bloodletters, etc etc.  Realistically I will only ever play 2000pts games so do I really need to own 5000+pts of each army.  So my commitment is to try to only buy to an army requirement, paint that army, play that army & only then can I start to buy the expansions to that list instead of being drowning in a mound of figures I may or may not need.

4. Not to chase the meta.  I don’t really play competitively so why do I care?  I keep painting armies which are relevant to the current meta then not playing them because I don’t think they’re fun enough.  Now part of this has always been if I paint the netlist then I’ll always be able to sell it, so it makes sense if that’s my plan, but then I’ve never sold the armies, so all I’m doing is buying & painting models I don’t plan on playing with!

So there we have it, my 4 step plan to getting my hobby back on track to what I want it to be.  You’ll notice I’ve basically ignored gaming & events and any of that side of thing.  That’s not because I wouldn’t like to do them but with the way life is right now I am lucky to play in 3-4 tournaments a year and my focus has been on regular weekly gaming down the local club and for that I’d much rather put something on the table that I like the look of first and foremost and cutting edge competitive can be left to those with the time.

Great idea for a post, thanks.

I'm actually doing pretty good on hobby goals. For nearly 24 hours I had all my forces of order(various Dwarfs and Stormcasts) fully painted. Then I bought some Fyreslayers last weekend. So near term goal is to get those finished painted this weekend. Of course that won't be all my forces of Order since I'll have my Spire of Dawn box in hand tomorrow. SoD will probably go on the shelf for a few weeks as my next goal will be to get my Death painted up. I've go a Mourngul in the mail, will be getting some Vargheist in the next couple of weeks to round a 1000 point list of Nighthaunt+Allies and I've got a lot of primed but not painted Zombies, skeletons, and ghouls to round out a 2000 point generic death army. I'll take my time with the Mourngul and Varghiests, but I have a feeling that the ghoul/skeleton/zombie hordes will be a few nights of batch speed painting for minimum viable table acceptability. Ideally I'll have all that done plus Spire of Dawn painted and assembled by Thanksgivingish. For bonus points I also have an assembed and primed box of Moonclan grots(but not real army they go to... yet) that I'd like to get painted for skirmish along with their warboss and outside of AoS I'll probably at some point paint up my Space Marine half of Dark Imperium. If I get on a good painting tear it's doable. If I do all that, it would be all of my "real stuff" painted. I've otherwise got half of the old Warmachine starter(won't ever use it, but still want to paint it because I like steampunk robots), some random D&D figures, and some random Mantic Dwarfs leftover from my KoW army. I do feel like I'm seeing the light at the end of tunnel after getting into a bit of painting backlog. This year so far I've cranked out a lot of models and I'm thinking it's a realistic goal to have all the models I care about painted by the end of the year.

I forgot a hobby goal -- and it's a very timely one!

Goal: Enter my first Armies on Parade.

This does mean I have to finish a bit more of my Seraphon painting in the next few weeks, in addition to creating my display board. But deadlines are necessary for completing tasks, right? Also, Armies on Parade!

My goals are

Finish painting my 2k blades of khorne mortals list, including various kit bashes

Finish painting Space Hulk

Enter my local store path to glory campaign

Work on a small genestealer cult with my son and help him get his seraphon to about 1.5 to 2k

Pick 1 army to do next, probably 1k of khorne daemons 

That will take me some way into 2018 at least.

Glad everybody is enjoying this post!  Really nice to hear what people's plans have been and are going to be :)

@polarbear having a permanent place does make a bit difference to what you can do and store on the hobby front.  I was always told if I wanted to go travelling to do it whilst you're young as you will tire of it.

@TheWilddog YouTube and other video resources have really revolutionised the painting side of the hobby and although it'll never get over the need to practise, being able to see somebody painting and in cases even ask questions I find so useful :)

@mastercrafted Good luck on the local club, I know since I finally pulled my finger out and got a few people locally down a local club the number of games I've played has really increased.  The mining board is amazing!  I dread to think how much it'd cost for all of the SM terrain, but can't fault that it's one of the most versatile bits of scenery to date.

@Tiger You can't beat self-birthday treats!

@Soulsmith Look forward to seeing your Maw Krusha when you get it - it's still one of the nicest models GW have done.  I can see a lot of people doing very similar for Shadespire - the models we've seen are gorgeous and I think it'll encourage a lot of people to do odd conversions too.

@bottle Cheers!  Those goals sound pretty epic and I'm sure you'll knock them out of the park!  Love the idea of a Freeguild town - we need more thematic scenery!

@Charles 29 models is a decent dent into a BoK army (and a good army at that - not that I'm biased).  That's really cool that your dad got a letter in WD!  The GW boards are lovely when painted up - I can recommend Plastikote spray cans!

@obaobaboss Massive battles are really great fun, dump as many models as you can and just go all out :)  As you can tell from the other posts on here, you're not on your own with the paint 5 buy 10 approach!

@DarkWingDuck Even including the small Dreadfleet bits 139 pieces is really impressive in 9ish months.  Hats off, I'm nowhere near that level!

@Greyshadow I think having a "one day" type goal is really good, especially if you add little bits to the grand plan as time goes on.  You'll end up with completely unique army

@MacDuff Can't fault that as a goal!  It's really easy to skip things like that when we're getting new releases all over the shop.

@ZephyrExia The important thing is that you feel your standard is improving with each unit you paint.  Oddly painting units from an assortment of factions will help you find a style that suits your own painting style.

@Lysandestolpe 1000 points for each GA at high quality, I think most people can only dream of that :)  And hats off to doing NMM, it's one technique I've never really got my head round.

@Galas That really made me chuckle!  And somewhat accurate too.  Most of my pile of shame is in cupboards so I can't see it

@AverageBoss Sounds like your splitting your goals down into nice achievable little steps :) Don't envy you the Shaltari, I've got PCR which seem much more straightforward!

@LeeM Funnily enough streamlining the unplayed stuff is on the cards for me too.  It's a weird one on the gaming, going in knowing that you've a high chance to lose takes quite a bit of mental determination - but you never know until you give it a punt!

@Sheriff :D

@Siorra Blackout was a great event wasn't it!  I love that buzz when coming away from something knowing that there's improvements and tweaks you can make.  I've found that painting speed can come with practice and deadlines

@Twitch of Izalith If you work out how to do that let us all know! :)

@SimonL That's a good start!  Alarielle is a really nice centrepiece model so reckon you'll have good fun painting her and the beetle up.

@Aginor Quite like the idea of having armies focused on doing one thing, it's a really nice way of building up an army rather.

@Nubgan Garages can be awesome!  I've plasterboard lined the back of mine for storage, but it'd easily make a small hobby area (and much warmer than bare brick).  Gaming space is always a tricky one, though it's quite nice we're getting games that require less table space now.

@Sarkazim You can never tell what will happen with some of the older models/armies.  I wasn't expecting Freeguild to come to prominence quite like they have, so you never know you might be OK on the Shadowblades army - regardless it'll be pretty unique on the tabletop.  The pilgrimage to Warhammer World is very much worth it (I'm heading up there next month - it's amazing!)

@Dave Fraser Thanks :) I think some of the fun of having annual goals is seeing how things have made them change.  You're right that GW keeps releasing so many new things it's difficult to keep on top of things, but I think many of us could take a leaf out your book and pass on some of the old projects and models - very good point on overbuying too and has spurred me on to pass on some of the Khorne excess I've got!

@bsharitt It's always nice to hear when somebody's achieving the goals they've set out and feel that they're actually getting to the end of the proverbial tunnel!

@rokapoke Yes to Armies on Parade!  I'm doing 40k with a Questoris Household this year - still have to much to do :D

@Praecautus That does sound like it'll take you into next year quite comfortably!  Space Hulk and all of the boxed games are really interesting because they've very much a project in a box, once they're done you can happily pop them on the shelf knowing that when you get the box out for a game it's all painted (you can get foam inserts that fit in the box for all the models too)

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

@Twitch of Izalith If you work out how to do that let us all know! :)

I think we all know HOW to do it. You paint what you have and then you go and buy new stuff to paint!

It never seems to work out that way though.

I definitely want to keep it under control for a bit though. I'm going to try and restrict myself to books and paint/hobby stuff for a few months while I get the models I have painted. Unless they release new Elves ... :)

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I definitely want to keep it under control for a bit though. I'm going to try and restrict myself to books and paint/hobby stuff for a few months while I get the models I have painted. Unless they release new Elves ... :)

I most definitely confirm that I reserve the right for everything to go out of the window if new Elves happen. SPLASH THAT CASH ELF BROS! 

I wanr to finish basing my free guild army. It was my first AoS army and out needs TLC to be finished properly.

Next in line is my Kharadron Overlords frigate and ironclad. They are the biggest models I own and I am having a hard time starting. They seem so easy to mess up.

Then I have a 1500 pt skaven army to start painting.

I would like to finish these by Christmas...

Archived