Starting Fyreslayers with a dash of random?

Dorrance

So, I got 5 Hearth Guard Bezerkers painted (post pics in the hobby section soon) and the new Mighty Heros Box with those associated Heros. 

I'm on the fence on if I'm making a mono-list or if I'm going to take full advantage of the Order Grand Alliance.

I have Vulkite Bezerkers and one Magmadroth on its way and from there I'll play a few small games but I'm starting to mentally flesh this thing out.

I feel like I need range and already have a Knight-Venator so that seems obvious... some prosecutors with javelins seems obvious once again to cover that range gap. 

So I have shooting and slow close combat, no magic so why not a Skink Statseer, seems to work well out of 'faction'

Lastly I'm some what lacking speed, so my gaze goes to fulminators or Drakespawn Knights.

On paper it looks like:

1x Runeperson on Magmadroth

20x Vulkite Bezerkers

5x Hearth Guard Bezerkers 

1x Runemaster

1x Battlesmith

1x Knight Venator

3x Prosecutors w Javlins

1x Skink Starseer

5x Drakespawn Knights

Is this too random? I can run the Lords of the Lodge Battalion and possible get a double turn with the bonus to the initiative roll one a game. I'm trying to have all my bases covered for shooting/ranged/magic with Fyreslayers as the core.  

Any thoughts?

Doesn't look random to me and with the Fyreslayer background, it is very easy to come up with a story why they are all together. Only thing I'll say is that the non-Fyreslayer units look a bit small, so I would be tempted to have 6 Prosecutors and 10 Drakespawn Knights, but it's down to how you are picking your army (wounds, models, SCGT/Clash Comp).

I'm not a big expert on Fyreslayers but doesn't one of the Runeperson characters (can't remember which) have a tunnelling ability? Wouldn't that help the speed issue?

Always good to see more Fyreslayers on the tabletops. I run solo-army but they have so few options they are indeed much more competitive in a GA: Order force. I wouldn't worry about mixing them and it's cool to just start with what you have and see what you like. That magmadroth box will have 3 complete fieldable characters so if you run the smiter on foot that does solve a movement issue as @Gaz Taylor points out and also removes some easy targets early on for your opponent. Then decide whether you want the daddy or son on the monster. The LoL battalion would work well in this combo of units you have. Do let us know how it goes.

@Gaz Taylor Thanks for the comments. I agree with you on the unit size of non Fyreslayers. My problem is those who play AoS are opposed to any type of comp system, which is fine but I'm in this weird space where I don't want to over commit and find myself with a surplus of models that I might not be able to use. 

@Veterannoob the only thing keeping me from only doing Fyreslayers is the 40 some Beserkers I would have to paint. That's demoralizing for me right now just thinking about it haha I'm liking the son on the Magmadroth to get those 3 dice drop the lowest on a charge and a lord on foot, who should be safe with some body guard. That way I can play that battalion and not have to overly worry about my advantages being targeted and naturalized. 

Assuming my opponent doesn't steal my re-rolls from the Starseer, I have a re-rollable initative roll that could be up to +3, seems like a nice alpha. 

Archived