How to make a solo Aelf list work

Beardyface

There were a few Aelf lists representing at SCGT but all seemed to have Mr Prime helping them out and a range of characters that will become legacy after the Order Grand Alliance updates are applied. 

I've dusted down my old High Elf army and am about to start chopping it up/rebasing ready for a new project. Thinking Eldritch Council, Phoenix Temple and Wanderers for some fire support. Having storm crutches through SCGT all aelf pool choices just seem like poorer alternatives to their shiny friends. Skycutters might have some wings due to their fantastic speed.

If anyone's had any successes with Aelves any advice would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Beardyface said:

There were a few Aelf lists representing at SCGT but all seemed to have Mr Prime helping them out and a range of characters that will become legacy after the Order Grand Alliance updates are applied. 

I've dusted down my old High Elf army and am about to start chopping it up/rebasing ready for a new project. Thinking Eldritch Council, Phoenix Temple and Wanderers for some fire support. Having storm crutches through SCGT all aelf pool choices just seem like poorer alternatives to their shiny friends. Skycutters might have some wings due to their fantastic speed.

If anyone's had any successes with Aelves any advice would be appreciated. 

Russ tore up blood and glory with high elves and Caradryn. That seems really strong and the wanderers could be a really clever finesse army. 

Cool. Cheers Rufuo. Sadly I think that list has lost something now Allarielle, Teclis and Caradryan have bitten the bullet. 

Going to go something like 1/3 Wanderers. Sisters seems best shooting option and Waywatcher and Waystalker look punchy in the shooting phase. 1/3 Annoited on Flamspire and Phoenix Guard for tankiness. Final 1/3 Eldritch Council (Drakeseer, Loremaster and Swordmasters).

might not be the greatest list in the world but nice models and something to start from!

Cool. I found a bunch of Witch Elves this afternoon I'd forgotten I painted. Luminous pink hair! 

Finding it hard to write Aelf lists though. So squishy after punching the world with my Stormcasts at the weekend (85th overal but 6th in KPs ?)!

46 minutes ago, Ben Johnson said:

Are the kill points up? I haven't seen them. I think I scored 588 and I only dropped the 12 as they where still in the summoning pool after the Wizards died. 

If you scroll right on the warscore results section it has the full breakdown of painting points, agendas, KPs, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2016 at 10:24 PM, Ben said:

I'm looking at a Darkling Coven as my next list with some Daughters of Khaine mixed in.  

Wanna run my Bloodwrack shrine.  

I remember you appealing in your 8th Ed Dark Elves book review, for someone to justify using Sisters of Slaughter - I trust you now have the answer!

Sisters of the Watch are really good (I love them against keyword = Chaos).  I prefer the Wayfinder hero with it's 3D6 attacks (although invariably I role a 4 or something).  Sister of the Thorn are fab too and the Shield of Thorns spell is great if you don't want something to die.  I was quite underwhelmed by the Wanderers list (compared to other shinier armies) but I find my opponents are nicely softened up by the time I engage them in melee.  Saying that, I am thinking of reinforcing my army with something that can take down monsters.

While offense seems > than defense in AoS, one thing that might be interesting that I haven't heard much about is a heavy-defense list, w/ Luminark of Hysh as the only non-aelf 'scroll. You could have multiple 6+ "ward" saves from Shield of Saphery (Archmage) and Aura of Protection (Luminark). Imagine Phoenix Guard with 4+ normal, 4+ Witness to Destiny, and ~3 additional 6+ vs wounds or mortal wounds. You could also add Shield of Thorns (re-roll failed armor saves for a unit) from the Sisters of Thorn, although they seem pricey in SCGT. 

On 5/5/2016 at 5:01 PM, DancesWithSaurus said:

Sisters of the Watch are really good (I love them against keyword = Chaos).  I prefer the Wayfinder hero with it's 3D6 attacks (although invariably I role a 4 or something).  Sister of the Thorn are fab too and the Shield of Thorns spell is great if you don't want something to die.  I was quite underwhelmed by the Wanderers list (compared to other shinier armies) but I find my opponents are nicely softened up by the time I engage them in melee.  Saying that, I am thinking of reinforcing my army with something that can take down monsters.

Looking at Shield of Thorns, the obvious target is your Eternal Guard, since it means if you can get them into cover, then they will be really hard to move, although I can't help but think if it would be worth doing (or at least be amusing) to cast it onto a somewhat large unit of Glade Guard, since you only get the Mortal Wound proc when you roll a 6 on your re-roll, so by intentionally casting it on a unit with a bad armour save, you will be forcing more re-rolls. It would be a nasty surprise for anyone who gets close enough to charge them, without rend at least.  

Edit: I wasn't entirely correct. You don't have to get the 6 on the reroll, a 6 on the first roll will cause the mortal wounds, which means the Eternal Guard are probably the most reliable for it (since they can add 1 to their save rolls if they don't move). 

Archived