The Painting Contract - October 2017

TheOtherJosh

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hobby ADHD is in full swing this month; rather than actually focusing on one thing, so far I've put the basecoats on 6 gryph-hounds, half-painted 5 flagellants and a warrior priest, built 15 dryads and started making a dark ages/Viking style fort...

There is one thing I've finished though - a foot Bretonnian hero. Will have to see if I can actually finish something else in the next week!

EyNoa8O.png

It's been slow progress on my nmm stormcast, at least partly because the first 7/8/9/10 attempts looked terrible, as you can see in some parts of the front model. Think I finally cracked it on the third or fourth attempt for the chest though. Now trying to recreate it on a model without far too many layers of paint. Will see if I can finish him before the temptation to get stuck into the shadespire ones hits. 

IMAG2745.jpg

Finished the pledge! Had some health issues in the family witch was rough but the good thing was that I had alot of time at home alone with the kids and they go to bed early, que hobbytime!

Stardrake with magnetized riders:

To get the Celestants cape to fit over the bow on the saddle I hade to build up the waist with some greeenstuf so pretty easely done.

IMG_20171022_231145254.jpg

IMG_20171022_231228547.jpg

IMG_20171022_231214448.jpg

IMG_20171022_231255667.jpg

IMG_20171022_231307102.jpg

Some great work here. I have been sidetracked for last couple of months with moving house and it has all fallen through, so I have decided to stay where I am and create a joint Lego/warhammer den. Painting breeze blocks is a massive pain but after a couple of nights managed to do the walls and floor. Then hit IKEA hard and have built my storage. Just need to populate my cupboards again and now have a space to do my armies on parade board for Saturday.

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

37 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

@spidero Any chance of a recipe for you NMM gold? Looking to finally give it a crack and do Anvils of Heldenhammer with NMM trim.

No worries. It's a basecoat of rhinox hide, then a layer of mournfang brown, just leaving the rhinox hide in the recesses (with appropriately thinned paints of course)

From there it's mostly glazes, lots and lots of glazes. I'm still getting the hang of glazing, but a little bit of paint and a lot of water seems to do the job.  First off glazing up with XV-88, then with Balor Brown. Then an edge highlight with vallejo ivory, followed by some light glazes of ivory up to the highlight to soften it out a bit. Finally I glazed the opposite way with vallejo armour brown. to darken down the shadows, and did a tiny dot of white scar in the highlight. 

The vallejo paints could be replaced with screaming skull and rhinox hide easily enough I think. I just find I get really chalky results with the pot of screaming skull I have and heard various people raving about the armour/tank brown, so wanted to give it a go.  It's my first time using any non-citadel paints, but liking them so far, and loving the dropper bottles. 

Hopefully it works for you, I'll look forward to seeing pictures. 

10 minutes ago, spidero said:

No worries. It's a basecoat of rhinox hide, then a layer of mournfang brown, just leaving the rhinox hide in the recesses (with appropriately thinned paints of course)

From there it's mostly glazes, lots and lots of glazes. I'm still getting the hang of glazing, but a little bit of paint and a lot of water seems to do the job.  First off glazing up with XV-88, then with Balor Brown. Then an edge highlight with vallejo ivory, followed by some light glazes of ivory up to the highlight to soften it out a bit. Finally I glazed the opposite way with vallejo armour brown. to darken down the shadows, and did a tiny dot of white scar in the highlight. 

The vallejo paints could be replaced with screaming skull and rhinox hide easily enough I think. I just find I get really chalky results with the pot of screaming skull I have and heard various people raving about the armour/tank brown, so wanted to give it a go.  It's my first time using any non-citadel paints, but liking them so far, and loving the dropper bottles. 

Hopefully it works for you, I'll look forward to seeing pictures. 

Thanks a lot, that's a big help, looking forward to giving it a go! First saw your chestpiece on instagram actually, good to know you're on here too!

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Thanks a lot, that's a big help, looking forward to giving it a go! First saw your chestpiece on instagram actually, good to know you're on here too!

I think someone else must have the same idea as me, I'm not actually on instagram. Might have to look into it though if it's another source of models to drool over. 

Well, while I didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted, I did get some stuff out of the house, and managed to sling some paint on my Ironjawz.  As it stands, I have finished up 5 Ardboys, glued the Mega-boss on his Maw-krusha, shaded my Weird-nob and Warchanter, and got started on the next 5 Ardboys and first 3 Gore-gruntas.  Pictures to come later.

On the home front, I cleaned out one corner of the family room, so that frees up some space to re-stack stuff and get organized a bit better.

3 hours ago, spidero said:

I think someone else must have the same idea as me, I'm not actually on instagram. Might have to look into it though if it's another source of models to drool over. 

Surprisingly similar! I'd advise checking it out, great source of inspiration.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:07 AM, FractalRain said:

Trying to finish up some home-made walls/fences and crypt for my step-son's Armies on Parade board and help him paint the board itself.  Also, need to paint up a Tzeentch Skirmish Warband before Nov!  Going to be busy!

Got the terrain done!  Here is the display.  Still working on the skirmish warband....

20171026_112747.jpg

Didn't quite get him finished, close though. Happy with how parts of it turned out but struggling to get consistent results, and with curved and rounded surfaces. Think I'll go true metallic for the shadespire stuff and keep practicing 

IMAG2789.jpg

Well, the results from my first painting pledge were not quite the number of miniatures that I had aimed for, but I got 10 out of those 15 liberators finished, with the other 5 still in progress. Seems I didn't find as much time to paint as I hoped, although I managed to assemble the last 10 bloodreavers from the starter set, the nurgle side from the Blightwar box, and 10 judicators.  Maybe some prioritizing is in order.

It is a bit daunting to put up pictures of your first ever painted miniatures here with all those artworks that people are posting pictures of, but that's part of the deal so here goes. I apologize for the less than stellar picture quality. I'm obviously not getting any awards for those minis, but hopefully I've managed to get them to an acceptable table top standard at least.

59f5fd81cc666_Octpledge.jpg.bbed303cd5ef1c68b6c3a6fd3fa661c4.jpg

@Memnoch
Nooooooice
I'm actually getting back into my stormcast now. I am burnt out on Death after armies on parade and then I played a 3 game tournament today with my FEC. 

It started with the new warband for Shadespire:

IMG_6948.JPG.4cdfb96086b9afef8be34a2a5c66f502.JPGIMG_6949.JPG.e0865103ec27d9d7fbebf0aa3a0a4046.JPG

Then I finally ripped apart my Lord-Aquilor and rebuilt him. I was just never feeling good about him.

IMG_6954.JPG.e347b7b5887bcdb43a04338c38f1c340.JPG
I'm excited to paint him and my Palladors. Lastly, I made Neave Blacktalon:

IMG_6966.png.d7beed33d0ed827328605fbf1a19f778.png

Archived