How to get the most out of the Arkonaut Boxed Set?

Hannibal

Hi all,

just noticed that GW gave us only one of each special weapon in the Arkonaut unit box. Therefore I like to ask what loadouts should I give to my troops. 

First and foremost, I'm not a powergamer by any means, meaning it doesn't matter that I can't equip all of my Arkonaut units with maxed out light skyhooks (which seem to be the best special weapon). 

Second, I'll likely buy 3 boxes of Arkonauts which gives me 3 of each special weapon. I like to build these as:

- a 10men squad with 3 light skyhooks. 

- a 20 men strong unit with ???

=> Here I start to struggle. Which special weapons (if any) should I give to my 20 men Arkonaut unit if skyhooks are no option?

Im planning on building a list based around one I see on here a lot which involves lots of skyhook-toting arkanauts and a swarm of balloon boys.

I figured I could use the skyhooks from the rigger kits to fill out the squads. Three squads means nine skyhooks, and I'll be building up to 9 rigger kits with one skyhook each. I don't know how compatible the bits are but I'm sure I can work around it.

I have 50 so..

Unit of 30 with 5 skyhooks and 4 converted skyhooks from leftovers bits of riggers and thunderers (your leftovers may differ)

10 with skypikes

10 with volley guns

Yes all skyhooks would be better, but i run 10 in a Frigate so the pikes are fine for that as they come out when the frigate is about to be charged.  Volley guns are ok and do well against heros or monsters where the +1 to hit makes them more reliable.  I also try to buff the unit or target with a re-roll to hit of some sort.  It might be sub optimal but there are still ways to play it and both options seem to do more than the pistol or cutters.

Archived