Spiderfang grots, are they any good?

Crispen

Hi Guys!

So I've been playing destruction for a while and usually field gutbusters backed up by a troll hag or a frostlord or go completely stupid and take min battleline supported troggoths.

I purchased a second hand spiderfang grots army a while ago and I was wondering if anyone has been playing them and how are they faring? I've tried good ole google, but its not giving up enough info for me to make the jump.

I was contemplating putting the following 2k list together:

Heroes

Arachnarok - Wizard

Arachnarok - Wizard

Arachnarok - Wizard

Grot warboss on spider - General

Battleline

5 spider riders

5 spider riders

30 spider riders

Allies

Troll Hag

60pts for Triumph roll.

I've not thought about the command traits or anything. Still on the fence whether to spend time getting this army together or continue with the gutbusters. I'm not looking to win tournaments, but I'd like something that did better then my trolls which went 0-3 in their last outing haha.

Thanks in advance for advice and/or replies :).

Cheers,

Crispen

In my opinion they took a major, major hit with GH17.  They used to be able to pump out a lot of mortal wounds very reliably.  With the nerfs to Battle Brew and Bellowing Tyrant, you are going to be relying on natural 6s for the most part, so it's a big difference.

Play them if you want to play them - they are still a fun army - but unfortunately I would be surprised if this was consistently effective.  That being said if you are playing in pretty relaxed circles, you might get on better than I think, and it's just theory hammer on my part (I've only played against them under the original GH).

If you do run it, could I suggest a Grot Wolf Chariot?  60 points seems like a lot to give up, so you could fit in a hyper mobile, 40 point unit and still come in under for the potential triumph with 1980 on the board.  It also fits into your allies slot with the Hag.

I made a rather elaborate excel model predicting damage output of various goblin units under various buff possibilities and a single unit of buffed spider riders still comes out top. I've made them the focus of my army but within a mixed moonclan and troll army to make they are well defended and not focused too much. 

Ironically with tripple arachnarok shaman this is a list where I would NOT suggest the hag.

You already have unbinding covered and she doesn't synergise overly well with them. 

This is especially true since, with 40 of your triumph, she's costing you 20 spider riders. 

If you really want the 4th behemoth a colossal squig or arachnarok catapult seem like better choices. Not least because the spare points get you more gobos!

You should also be are of spell saturation, with 3 catchweb shrines you are going to have a shaman doing nothing each turn. I'd say put a catapult on the third and look at bringing an allied grot wizard on some form of wolf or chariot.

Thanks for the feedback guys! It's much appreciated!

15 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Man I don't want to be the one to talk you out of Spiderfang, they look AMAZING on the table!  Do it!

I know what you mean, they're awesome. I normally only play games at tournaments, so my matches tend to be pretty hardcore haha. Having said that I don't mind losing half the time, might just go ahead with the spiders :).

14 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I made a rather elaborate excel model predicting damage output of various goblin units under various buff possibilities and a single unit of buffed spider riders still comes out top. I've made them the focus of my army but within a mixed moonclan and troll army to make they are well defended and not focused too much. 

How do you use the spiderfang grots? Do you hold them back and pepper the enemy with the bows or do you chuck them in CC?

13 hours ago, Malakree said:

Ironically with tripple arachnarok shaman this is a list where I would NOT suggest the hag.

You already have unbinding covered and she doesn't synergise overly well with them. 

This is especially true since, with 40 of your triumph, she's costing you 20 spider riders. 

If you really want the 4th behemoth a colossal squig or arachnarok catapult seem like better choices. Not least because the spare points get you more gobos!

You should also be are of spell saturation, with 3 catchweb shrines you are going to have a shaman doing nothing each turn. I'd say put a catapult on the third and look at bringing an allied grot wizard on some form of wolf or chariot.

I agree there is a lot of overlap with the wizards, but that's just to ensure I have the spiderfang spell and the flinger seems pretty weak haha. I added the troll hag cause my model is all nice and painted and also cause she has the potential to cause mortal wounds on a successful dispel and her spell is pretty good (-1 to hit and -1 armour sve), plus her vomit attack can be really useful for killing characters with 6 wounds.

I unfortunately don't own a goblin wolf chariot, I do have snotlings though haha. I'll see if I can kitbash something, I have a heap of wolf riders and stuff, might be able to come up with a decent chariot :).

Cheers,

Crispen

Totally agree on the wizards, I'd rather have three and still have access to the spells when I'm down to my last one, than have a flinger.  Having that redundancy is worth it when you're giving up so little.

I'd also consider dropping the Hag, to do 1x 30 and 2x 15s?

Personally I would be trying to buff up one unit at a time, and send them forward in waves.  Turn 1, Advance up the board as far as you can while staying out of shooting range (or better still, lurking behind cover which you can then wall crawl straight over).  Maybe spread out across the board, with a unit and its personal Arachnarok each threatening an objective, and a tail back to the General.  

Then BLAMMO!  

Archived