Deathlords allegiance

Waizer

Question

Right so let me start by saying I'm new to AoS and if this rules query is covered somewhere already, either in this forum or elsewhere, I apologise and please point me the right way :)

So while having a play about building lists (I seem to spend more time building lists than models these days) I hit a little snag. If you use deathlords as the main allegiance of the army to make the morghast archai/harbingers battleline units can you use the deathless minions battle trait? Not sure if since you'd be deathlords allegiance you'd lose access to death abilities.

6 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Waizer said:

Right so let me start by saying I'm new to AoS and if this rules query is covered somewhere already, either in this forum or elsewhere, I apologise and please point me the right way :)

So while having a play about building lists (I seem to spend more time building lists than models these days) I hit a little snag. If you use deathlords as the main allegiance of the army to make the morghast archai/harbingers battleline units can you use the deathless minions battle trait? Not sure if since you'd be deathlords allegiance you'd lose access to death abilities.

GHB 2017, page 116.

TL: DR - The allegiance you use to construct your army can be different to the one you choose for abilities (but obviously you have to qualify for both). So yes, you can.

On 19.09.2017 at 8:49 AM, BaldoBeardo said:

GHB 2017, page 116.

TL: DR - The allegiance you use to construct your army can be different to the one you choose for abilities (but obviously you have to qualify for both). So yes, you can.

Where is that written? 

"When your army qualifies for more than one allegiance you must choose which allegiance your army will use before you set up any units. "

You can qualify for both but you need to choose one.
So for Matched Play you have:
option 1 -  Take Deathlords Allegiance and gain morghasts as battleline, and thats it.
option 2 - Take GA Death Allegiance and gain Deathless Minions, traits and artefacts but you need some other battleline units.

Or you can play Open Play games without battleline requirements and use GA Death allegiance.

12 minutes ago, ssharkus said:

Where is that written? 

"When your army qualifies for more than one allegiance you must choose which allegiance your army will use before you set up any units. "

option 1 -  Take Deathlords Allegiance and gain morghasts as battleline, and thats it.
option 2 - Take GA Death Allegiance and gain Deathless Minions, traits and artefacts but you need some other battleline units.

Or you can play Open Play games without battleline requirements and use GA Death allegiance.

You have to choose before you set up but after you write the list. ?

Anyway it has played in the way that you can use faction abilities  if you want or don't have any of your own in (I guess) most tournament play including tournaments hosted by GW and on Warhammer TV etc... so I guess it's the most common interpretation of that rule. But it has been discussed a few times before here on TGA.

On 27.09.2017 at 6:43 PM, ssharkus said:

Where is that written? 

Also: if the allegiance does not have allegiance abilities/artifacts, you can use the grand alliance ones.

Archived