Deathlords list. Feedback Required :)

Waizer

So I was having a little look through the GHB2017 last night whilst I couldn't sleep... and whether it was the sleep deprivation or something else I threw together a list that I have no idea will be effective or just look pretty.

Neferata

Mannfred

x4 Morghast Archai

x4 Morghast Harbinger

and 300 points left over to get 1 more battleline at least

Like I said no idea how effective it would be, know it would be fast and would allow for quick turns at least. But with such a low model count it could disappear very quickly.

Any feedback would be appreciated, cheers :)

I like it, but when it comes to objectives, you'll struggle. I have a list like this:

neferata - general

arkhan

2 archai

2 archai

2 archai

2 harbingers

ALLIES:

40 skeleton warriors

wight ling with infernal standard 

2k on the dot. Those skellies can sit on an objective and while your army can go out and punch people.

Just wondered, if you use deathlords as the main allegiance of the army to make the morghast battleline can you use the deathless minions battle trait? Not sure if since you'd be deathlords allegiance you'd lose access to death abilities.

Mannfred should be such a beast, but he's always been a bit underwhelming for me. If you can get him near damned he gets a lot better (especially as his armour ignores a wound)

I would not build adeathlords list without Arkhan. His spell is swingy but can be devastating. He's also got an almost guaranteed summon of harbingers if he's unwounded and near archai (3+).

I played a deathlords list a bit in ghb1, against melee armies it was great fun. I played a rukk with it once, wouldn't do that again!

19 hours ago, Waizer said:

Just wondered, if you use deathlords as the main allegiance of the army to make the morghast battleline can you use the deathless minions battle trait? Not sure if since you'd be deathlords allegiance you'd lose access to death abilities.

You could always choice your battle traits/artifacts from generic death if your allegiance is from a specific sub faction.  You wouldn't be able to give any artifacts or command traits to the  Deathlords though, since they are all named. Unless you grab a generic vampire or something as ally with an artifact. 

I also think that choosing the generic death battle trait would in fact mean that all summoned units also get a deathless minion save (since it's targeted at Death keyword). 

18 hours ago, Elmir said:

You could always choice your battle traits/artifacts from generic death if your allegiance is from a specific sub faction.  You wouldn't be able to give any artifacts or command traits to the  Deathlords though, since they are all named. Unless you grab a generic vampire or something as ally with an artifact. 

I also think that choosing the generic death battle trait would in fact mean that all summoned units also get a deathless minion save (since it's targeted at Death keyword). 

That's an interesting one. I asked about this in the rules forum and was sent to pg116 in the ghb2017 and, if I'm completely honest, I couldn't find the specific line that said the allegiance you use to construct your army can be different to the one you choose for abilities (but obviously you have to qualify for both). I mean I'm positive you can as it does make sense, I just couldn't find the text to support it.

And just ooi as that sounds a very cool idea, if I use deathlords as my main allegiance to make morghast battleline I'd have to have a vampire in as an ally. Since it's an ally I thought I wouldn't be able to give it anything?

Well, to be brutally honest, I don't think you'd even want to run pure DL for any reason because the limitations of your allies will cause headaches (and the lack of artifacts/command traits). 

My list @1000p uses 3 min zombie units (that I merge/add too through summons as the scenario dictates) with a larger 4 man unit  of Morghast archai with some morghast harbingers in summon reserves for assassination. My general is a generic vampire lord with goblet and Ring of immorality. His command ability on the Morghast archai (giving them +1A) has proven quite strong until now. 

Over 1k points,  I'd be looking at including Arkhan, maybe adding more Morghast Archai and just adding more summon points to get good board control. 

12 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Well, to be brutally honest, I don't think you'd even want to run pure DL for any reason because the limitations of your allies will cause headaches (and the lack of artifacts/command traits). 

My list @1000p uses 3 min zombie units (that I merge/add too through summons as the scenario dictates) with a larger 4 man unit  of Morghast archai with some morghast harbingers in summon reserves for assassination. My general is a generic vampire lord with goblet and Ring of immorality. His command ability on the Morghast archai (giving them +1A) has proven quite strong until now. 

Over 1k points,  I'd be looking at including Arkhan, maybe adding more Morghast Archai and just adding more summon points to get good board control. 

Command traits I'm not too worried about as I'll have a choice of at least 2 very good ones from the mortarch's, but yes I agree losing the artefact customisation will hurt going pure DL. I really like the idea of having the battleline fulfilled by units of scary morghasts and then allying in a big sturdy block (40 skellies with a wight king with infernal standard for example) for objective holding.

Certainly will have to have a good play around with some lists and then do some play testing to see if I would just be better going generic death rather than DL w/ allies. Cheers btw, appreciate the help :)

Archived