Ripperdactyl Riders and Shadowstrike Host

Mune

Question

Hi guys, short question:

in the last FAQ we got this:

"Only models deployed on the battlefield can use abilities or command abilities"

The rippers have an ability that allows them to place a Frog in your first hero phase onto the table.

Shadowstrike allows you to set your rippers aside the table and bring them in later.

This would mean RAW if I set them aside, I wouldn't be able to place the frog because this is done in the hero phase.

The Rippers on the other hand enter the table in your movement phase.

Would be an extrem nerf to the shadowstrike, if this is correct.

3 answers to this question

Correct, only models deployed on the battlefield can use abilities, and so for the Rippers to use Toad Rage, an ability, they'd need to currently be deployed on the battlefield. Due to the nature of the FAQ, it seems to be both RAW and RAI, unfortunately.

It's the same for Icebrow Hunter and Everwinter's Master, and several other first hero phase situations. Sadly, this makes many of them not worth taking, hope your Rippers are.

It's the same for all alpha strikes that appear in the movement phase - starting with Skyborne Slayers not getting the +1 to hit buff and also covering Runesmiters and Sylvaneth.

Welcome to the club. Alpha Strikes have been nerfed across the board, so not the end of the world. 

You can get a second unit of Rippers outside Battalion on table and use its Toads to buff the Shadowstrike Rippers.

On 14.09.2017 at 11:12 AM, heywoah_twitch said:

Due to the nature of the FAQ, it seems to be both RAW and RAI, unfortunately.

Can you please say which part in the FAQ this is? Cause i can find only part about "units can't use abilities or command abilities that affect other units". It seems like you can't use targeted abilities to buff/attack/debuff from another place.

Archived