Archaon Khorne List

tolstedt

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played the gore pilgrims list today against beastclaw.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Archaon (700)
- General
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist

Units
3 x Varanguard (300)
- Fellspear
- 3x Fellspears
- Allies

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400

Sucking in enemies into your varangaurd with the slaughterpreists is amazing.

I lost 7-5 against beastclaw in duality of death.  Archaon killed a stonehorn and a unit of mournfang but got stuck on one of the objectives.  The other forces on the other side of the board were unable to deal with two thundertusks camping the other objective. 

Love doing 4 prayers per turn.  Varangaurd killed 8 ogres and a butcher on the charge.

2 hours ago, Louzi said:

I play a similar list, but with 10 blood warriors instead of 2x5 and I prefer the mighty lord of khorne. I do take healing prayers on the slaughterpriest for a even more annoying archaon

The juggernaut lord helps to buff slayer of kings, giving a 40% chance to instakill a hero.  It also makes the varangaurd 2+/2+/-2/2 on the charge.  He is also good himself with the gorecleaver.  He got hit with two vultures in my game for 2 mortal wounds, then another six from the thundertusk and he was a goner.

I need the second mystic shield from the prayer for the varangaurd.  One healing prayer is enough for me.

I love blood bind.  It is my new favorite game mechanic.  Run enemies off the objectives into the meat grinder.

This list requires precise positioning.

I think the fatesworn list will be stronger and I'll probably build that one next year sometime.

Played again today against beastclaw.  Scorched earth.  Won by 1 point.  Was a dice roll away from being a draw at the end.

Archaon whiffed against a thundertusk at the end which would have secured the victory for me by a few more.  

Blood bind was amazing again.  I pulled mournfang away from the points.  Bloodreavers are great for slowing down enemies.

The list relies heavily on the varangaurd.  Nothing else has enough kill potential (except the lord on juggernaut on the charge).

Archaon is hard to kill.  I think 15 brutes could do it or 10 retributors. 
You have to avoid those situations and swing first.

Blood tithe continues to be great.  Archaon swung across the entire enemy line using the free moves, burning the objectives as he went.  He slaughtered a unit of ogres, a butcher, and a thundertusk.

Still no instakills with slayer of kings.  It's a 40% chance when buffed with +1 to wound and +1 attack.

The threat of the varangaurd's double pile in gives the opponent hard decisions in the combat phase.  Ideally I think only the varangarud and archaon should be in combat with single enemies.  Swing with varangaurd first, and if they want to risk the double pile in and swing on archaon, they could lose an important unit.

I really wish varangaurd had 6 wounds.

I'm considering making the lord on jugger the general.

What is lost:  Varangaurd cannot re-roll charges.  Maybe important.  The potential for +2 to wound on archaon's slayer of kings with blood tithe shenanigans.  Maybe less important.  

What is gained:  The juggerlord gets a 5+ ward save.  This means he will be alive longer to give +1 to wound to archaon and varangaurd more often.

If you intend to give the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut the Berzerker Lord Command Trait note that it will only work in the Combat Phase and no other. It's because of this that I don't think the General switch would be really 'worth it'. What is one of the things Khorne can present to Archaon and other Allegiances cannot is the complete stacking of Bronzed Flesh + Bronzed Flesh + a possible Arcane Shield. I think you might enjoy that combination for this force in particular.

4 hours ago, Killax said:

If you intend to give the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut the Berzerker Lord Command Trait note that it will only work in the Combat Phase and no other. It's because of this that I don't think the General switch would be really 'worth it'. What is one of the things Khorne can present to Archaon and other Allegiances cannot is the complete stacking of Bronzed Flesh + Bronzed Flesh + a possible Arcane Shield. I think you might enjoy that combination for this force in particular.

I like the stacking, but the Varangaurd really need one of those +1 to save.

Resanguination hasn't really been useful yet.  I wanted to use it on Archaon and Varangaurd, but Archaon doesn't take many wounds to begin with, and the varangaurd usually go down one at a time.  I may double stack the bronzed flesh on the varangaurd for a 1+ save and archaon can mystic shield himself.

21 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

Resanguination hasn't really been useful yet.  I wanted to use it on Archaon and Varangaurd, but Archaon doesn't take many wounds to begin with, and the varangaurd usually go down one at a time.  I may double stack the bronzed flesh on the varangaurd for a 1+ save and archaon can mystic shield himself.

I hear ya. I would simply go for Bronzed Flesh on both of the Slaughterpriests in most if not all scenario's anyway. :) 

• 6 months later...
On 10/5/2017 at 1:26 AM, tolstedt said:

I played the gore pilgrims list today against beastclaw.

Leaders
Archaon (700)
- General
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist

Units
3 x Varanguard (300)
- Fellspear
- 3x Fellspears
- Allies

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400

Sucking in enemies into your varangaurd with the slaughterpreists is amazing.

I lost 7-5 against beastclaw in duality of death.  Archaon killed a stonehorn and a unit of mournfang but got stuck on one of the objectives.  The other forces on the other side of the board were unable to deal with two thundertusks camping the other objective. 

Love doing 4 prayers per turn.  Varangaurd killed 8 ogres and a butcher on the charge.

Hope I'm not necroposting too much here, 

I have an event coming up soon and I would love to take some sort of similar list to this.  Is it still legal or have FAQs changed how Archaon fits in the list? Current;y have archaon and the khorne half of a starter set for the basis of  an army, dont really wanna buy much more until i set a solid list down. but i have about three weeks to get it sorted now!

I am playin this list:

Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Archaon (700)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
3 x Varanguard (300)
- Ensorcelled Weapon
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

Not ultra competetive, but fun to play.

5 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

I have an event coming up soon and I would love to take some sort of similar list to this.  Is it still legal or have FAQs changed how Archaon fits in the list? Current;y have archaon and the khorne half of a starter set for the basis of  an army, dont really wanna buy much more until i set a solid list down. but i have about three weeks to get it sorted now!

Yes the exact list is legal in matched play.  Archaon can be in any nurgle, tzeentch, khorne, or slaneesh allegiance army as he has all the keywords.

Lovely job, cheersfor the help fellas, think I will aim for the list and give it a run for its money. Unlikely that I will get many practice games in as I’m very short on time. Any tips to bare in mind when playing it and what my weaknesses will be? 

58 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Lovely job, cheersfor the help fellas, think I will aim for the list and give it a run for its money. Unlikely that I will get many practice games in as I’m very short on time. Any tips to bare in mind when playing it and what my weaknesses will be? 

Which list?  The gorepilgrims one or the bloodmarked one?

8 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Gorepilgrims 

You need to keep those chaff bodies alive or you will lose every game on turn 4.

Use bloodbind to draw in enemies and charge them off with the Varangaurd.  Be aggressive with Archaon.  If he has to camp an objective all game, so be it, as long as it is in enemy territory.  Use Archaon and the Varangaurd to clear a path for the chaff to get to the objectives.

Varangaurd on the charge buffed by the juggerlord's command ability are 2/2/-2/2 which is very strong.  Don't be afraid to use their once per game extra pile in right away if you are going to lose a model.

13 hours ago, tolstedt said:

You need to keep those chaff bodies alive or you will lose every game on turn 4.

Use bloodbind to draw in enemies and charge them off with the Varangaurd.  Be aggressive with Archaon.  If he has to camp an objective all game, so be it, as long as it is in enemy territory.  Use Archaon and the Varangaurd to clear a path for the chaff to get to the objectives.

Varangaurd on the charge buffed by the juggerlord's command ability are 2/2/-2/2 which is very strong.  Don't be afraid to use their once per game extra pile in right away if you are going to lose a model.

Thank you 

On 4/14/2018 at 6:31 AM, Mohojoe said:

Thank you 

You're welcome.  

The most I've killed in one combat with Varangaurd is 40 skeletons.

The extra range on the Bloodsecractor from the battalion is good with Varangaurd since they want to be out on their own.

Archived