Old Warhammer units/characters/items/rules you'd like to see return in some way shape or form

Double Misfire

The title says it all, do you have a favourite WFB grognardism or two you'd like to see pop up in AoS directly or as a reimgained take on an old concept? A favourite magic item (burn in hell Black Amulet!), special character, unit, or even rule that you think could slot neatly into AoS in some shape or form having survived the End Times, or perhaps just spiritually live on having inspired a new concept?

My number one pick would have to be the Forge Word Mariengburg Landship. I never got round to buying one when it was originally available, and it would fit in seamlessly with the rest of the Ironweld Arsenal. Forge World have rereleased a few of their older Warhammer kits recently, so you never know, miracles could happen! 9_9

7Z3CXUg.jpg

Special character-wise it would be great to see Krell return with the now seemingly inevitable Deathrattle Battletome, hopefully riding a great big monster. He was hinted at  pretty strongly in Grand Alliance: Death, so it would be pretty shocking if he didn't turn up at this point. Gary Morley Krell though please, not the one horned impostor seen towards the end of WFB's lifespan, currently parading about as "Wight King with Black Axe".
AYSZ6J4.jpg

If Krell were resurrected, it would be an awesome excuse to  bring back Heinrich Kemmler, the guy Krell duped into thinking was his boss for years, but after the events of the End Times (no body no death. also an immortal necromancer with a cloak that can make him ethereal) as part of the Chaos grand alliance. He's Warhammer's first arch villain, and could serve as an awesome rival for Krell (or even Nagash!).

oN2lhE0.jpg

Conceptually I'd love to see a revamped take on  the Slayer Pirates as a  bridging of the gap between Kharadron and Fyreslayers. I'm half tempted to try and convert some myself.
QephrW3.jpg

The Goblin Hewer is also possibly the coolest warmachine GW have ever made, and would lend itself beautifully to a plastic kit - possible ranged support for Fyreslayers? Apparently Malaki Makaisson is busy designing toilets in Azyrheim, so you never know...
w7TlbC5.gif

For new people: Warhammer was a fairly obscure game Games Workshop put some time in the last century. It's main focus was dogfight-style duels between sets of cardboard rectangles stacked with lead models, with a sliding difficultly scale determined by how flat the pieces of scenery you chose to use were. ;) 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cerlin said:

I want some form of armored human knight that is not a stormcast. Make them fluffy and themed to the Mortal Realms, but I want them.

I want the dwarfs to get more rune magic again. Anvil of doom or a master runelord would be great. 

Yes I would like to see an updated Bretonnia army perhaps or something similiar as I really like the idea and looks of fielding an entire army of Knights on mounts

Personally I'd like to see the old vampires have their warscrolls restored, same goes for Archaon on mount and Moonclan's Skarsnik. I don't care if they rename them all I'd just like to see their warscrolls restored so I can find a reason to field these awesome minis again. Also a model I wish Forge World would bring back from the dead is the Chaos War Mammoth

Agreed with human knights and plastic tomb king kits (cmon deathrattle you could be an insanely awesome faction!)

I wouldnt want any of the special characters back per se, but would like to see wurrzag/ikit klaw-style reimaginings for Grimgor, Skarsnik, Queek etc. 

Still no idea why they ditched the awesome Forsaken kit!

I'd love to see a new take on brettonia. in end times i believe the Lady of the lake passed on her mantle to her daughter and raised Guiles le Breton to godhood along with taking all the souls of the grail knights into a secret realm free from chaos. I imagine them returning as an army of ethereal knights like the green knight, summoned onto the battlefield by the prayers of the peasantry.

I'm not particularly looking for Old World characters and nations in AoS. I find the new setting refreshing and enjoy watching GW take unique units from the old WFB armies and revision them as new, fully fleshed out armies. 

With that....I would possibly want to see the AoS version of...halflings! They would be my Order faction of choice for sure. Particularly for Skirmish.

I know recent editions of D&D has tried to update halflings beyond the hairy feet stereotype, but I haven't been plussed by any of their attempts. Though I did think the Dark Sun version was ok. I have more faith in GW creative than WoTC, so again....bring on the hobbits!

5 hours ago, Moonlightwolf said:

I'd love to see a new take on brettonia. in end times i believe the Lady of the lake passed on her mantle to her daughter and raised Guiles le Breton to godhood along with taking all the souls of the grail knights into a secret realm free from chaos. I imagine them returning as an army of ethereal knights like the green knight, summoned onto the battlefield by the prayers of the peasantry.

Spirits of Grail Knights feels a bit too much like Stormcast and are also quite boring. Here's a cool new spin on Bretonnians in AoS I came up with in a thread about new factions almost a year ago:

Another faction I think it would be neat to see pulled off right would be an order of mysterious mounted warriors formed from Duke Jerrod's remaining Bretonians who travelled back to their homeland from after helping the Empire post Lileath reveal during the End Times and whatever Aborash was up to in Bretonnia at the end of the End Times. They could have a completely different agenda to and often clash with the Stormcast, and be based in the ruins of la Maisontaal Abbey, cosmically powered and traveling the lanes between realms. I have no idea what grand alliance they'd be in!

Tomb kings obviously as I do think there is a place for them in AoS.

The hellcannon for the Legion of Azgorh - remade to the new aesthetic

Wulfric and Seafang for the Slaves to Darkness.  Wulfric's fluff, his ability to transport marauders and the idea of seafang is just brilliant, and I can imagine him millenea on, more gnarled, grizzly, boosted by chaos, and with sea fang transporting him through time and space  to serve the chaos Gods.  I think he'd make and incredible everchosen hero.

39 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

bring on the hobbits!

Seconding on that too, they are quite rare nowadays, and could be quite entertaining.

37 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Here's a cool new spin on Bretonnians in AoS I came up with in a thread about new factions almost a year ago:

it's also quite boring and uninspiring. If you want to have a truly interesting mounted knights army than you need to create a some kind of magical knights order with interesting agendas and traits. Like vampire hunters, for instance, or like an order of human knights as it's with elves, but with different possibilities.

19 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Wanderers would feel way more complete if they had these units back #RIPElves

A forest dragon would be good, for sure.

If you are bringing back the landship surely you need to bring back the classic War Waggon!

Maybe this is whats missing from your Ironweld lists, the ultimate chariot battleline?

IMG_6631.JPG

The crewman with man-catcher was possibly the GW model i most wanted to own as a kid.

I would really like to see a new rendition of Morghur. Make him the size of a Ghorgon and release him alongside new Beastmen units that resemble what was so special about him in Fantasy: weird abominations of man-beast hybrid like pigs with human faces and people with sharp hooves instead of hands. Different types of beastmen were always alluded in the lore and Age of Sigmar has more freedom than ever to expend upon that.

latest?cb=20160827005413

That and the Bone Giant. It is a fluke that the Undead faction currently has no Giant in their roster outside of the Tomb Kings Compendium. 

Screaming skull catapult and I used to have an undead war mammoth but that might have been a different company... too long ago and I don't have the miniature anymore. It was really cool as it had captured humans in the rib cage like a jail.

They definitely need some non-human dead... and not just regular sized stuff but undead stegadons and giants, trolls, etc.   

1 minute ago, Travis Baumann said:

Screaming skull catapult and I used to have an undead war mammoth but that might have been a different company... too long ago and I don't have the miniature anymore. It was really cool as it had captured humans in the rib cage like a jail.

They definitely need some non-human dead... and not just regular sized stuff but undead stegadons and giants, trolls, etc.   

A friend of mine has that undead war mammoth model. It's ancient. He used to use it as a Warsphynx proxy in later editions.

Archived