Skryre warpstone spark damage

Mayple

Question

So, straight forward question on this one. The warpstone spark states that it can double the damage characteristic for one succesfull attack. 

What constitutes a succesfull attack? (at what point do you state that you are using the spark?)

How does that interact with stormfiend's shock gauntlets in the case that it triggers the additional hits? (Depending on the answer to the above question, this one might not matter)

Thanks! :)

3 answers to this question

You mean there's an option to arm Stormfiends with things that aren't warpfire throwers?!Bloody hell the more you know!

A "successful attack" is defined in the Save Roll and Determine damage section of the four page AoS rules as being an attack that has hit, wounded, and the defending unit has failed it's save roll for, so decide if you want to double the damage characteristic for a single attack from the weapon you've just hit, wounded and got past the enemy's save roll with there and then. For example if you were attacking with a Stormfiend's crushing blows and made three successful attacks for 2 damage each (a total of 6 damage), you could decide to use a Warpstone Spark to double one of them to 4 damage (for 8 damage total).

For attacks that do a random amount of damage like a Doomwheel's Warp Lighting's D3 damage, you would have to declare that you were using the warpstone spark before rolling to see how many points of damage were inflicted.

It's worth noting that in the case of "ward/invulnerable save" abilities that allow units to ignore wounds inflicted on them like Vulkite Berzerkers' Beserk Fury or a Runelord's Ancestral Shield are rolled for each individual wound after damage has been inflicted, and so will give units a chance to save the wounds inflicted on them by a double damaged Warp Spark attack.

Skryre weapons like Warpfire Throwers that inflict mortal wounds do not have a Damage characteristic to double, and so would not be affected by a warpfire spark.

As for shock gauntlets inflicting additional hits, as you predicted this doesn't matter, as it's only a single successful attack/hit that you can double the damage of.

Hope this helps! :) 

Seems like you got me covered today ;) that answered my question quite nicely - and coincides with how I thought it worked. I saw someone mention somewhere that the stormfiend's additional hits would all.be doubled, which made me question my original understanding of how the warpstones work. Now there is no more confusion :D thanks.

Edit: because I have to - shock gauntlets are far superior to warpfireee! It brings me nothing but joy to watch people take the pesky, inferior flamethrowers, thinking the cheap-shot they provide will earn them glory and warp-riches. Silly ratlings, fell out of the wrong side of a broodmother!

(I jest, of course:D)

6 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

As for shock gauntlets inflicting additional hits, as you predicted this doesn't matter, as it's only a single successful attack/hit that you can double the damage of.

I'm not sure I agree with this reading. Note the specific wording of shock gauntlets:

If the hit roll for an attack made by a Shock Gauntlet is 6 or more, that attack scores D6 hits rather than 1 as the electrical discharge arcs between targets.

I think the rules rather imply that each value for the attack characteristic constitutes a separate attack. For instance, stormfiends' shock gauntlets have 4 attacks, and a successful attack would be the result of one or more successful hit rolls, wound rolls, and then subsequent failure to save by the opposing model.

Archived