unit general/artifacts

Mayple

Question

Heyo, this is just to refresh my memory for brainstorming purposes ;)

Can non-hero units be generals and/or wielder of artifacts?

If yes, would an artifact that turns the wielder into a priest/wizard have that effect on the unit? (a single model, I would assume) 

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

GHB 2017, p116: "If you army has an allegiance and includes any HEROES one or more may bear an artefact of power."

Going by the four page AoS basic rules any model can be the army general. The matched play rules on p77 of the GHB 2017 state that "your general must be a Leader" - models with the Leader battlefield role exclusively having the hero keyword and vice versa. Also worth noting that a general only gains a command trait via the allegiance rules if it is a hero according the the latest rules in GHB 2017.

Gotcha!

Follow-up question. If I ally in a hero to accompany..  say a pestilens allegiance army (let's say the allied hero is skryre, for sake of argument)

Does the allied hero have access to artifacts? If so, from which allegiance? His own, the grand alliance, or the allegiance he allies into?

2 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Gotcha!

Follow-up question. If I ally in a hero to accompany..  say a pestilens allegiance army (let's say the allied hero is skryre, for sake of argument)

Does the allied hero have access to artifacts? If so, from which allegiance? His own, the grand alliance, or the allegiance he allies into?

Artefacts are allegiance abilities and p116 of the GHB 2017 states  when explaining allegiance abilites"Only units in the army with the appropriate allegiance keyword can benefit from these abilities", so no in most cases matched play allies won't be able to take artefacts. If you were to take a Pestilens army (with Plague Monk battleline), ally in a Skryre character and use the standard Chaos allegiance abilities instead of the unique Pestilens ones, you would be able to give a Skryre a Chaos artefact, but if you were use the same army with Pestilens allegiance abilities you wouldn't be able to give the allied Skryre character an artefact of any kind. :) 

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Artefacts are allegiance abilities and p116 of the GHB 2017 states  when explaining allegiance abilites"Only units in the army with the appropriate allegiance keyword can benefit from these abilities", so no in most cases matched play allies won't be able to take artefacts. If you were to take a Pestilens army (with Plague Monk battleline), ally in a Skryre character and use the standard Chaos allegiance abilities instead of the unique Pestilens ones, you would be able to give a Skryre a Chaos artefact, but if you were use the same army with Pestilens allegiance abilities you wouldn't be able to give the allied Skryre character an artefact of any kind. :) 

Awh. That's too bad :P but I suppose it's a nice way to balance out the ally system as a whole. Thanks for the quick answer :)

Archived