Display boards

Gobr

After reading the rules pack for Blood and Glory and listening to different podcasts it appears to me that display boards is a thing people do. I've never understood the point of them, and they have never really been done by anyone I know or been brought to events I've been to. Is it a UK thing? Or is it only backwater Sweden that's not doing display boards (not that I know how everyone in Sweden does things)? Have they always been around or is it something trending that will change into something else? 

Quite a few larger tournaments have the display board option as a thing, and they also generally have a painting award that can be won. I'm 99% certain that they will never be compulsory, so people that are travelling internationally don't have to find a way of getting a board there. But hey, if you do make one, makes Armies on Parade easier :D

I think it's a thing in bigger scenes where there's more competition in terms of painting.

In bigger scenes, there are more people that will value the other aspects of the hobby and not just the competitive gaming aspect. When there are more people valuing painting, well, that in itself, starts to become a competition. So display boards are just one of those things, that if done well, can elevate your army to the next level.

I also think that scene maturity plays a roll in it as well. AoS as a game is still quite young. As a competitive thing, it's even younger, with the GHB1 coming out just over a year ago. This means a lot of smaller scenes don't have a 'premier' event necessarily settled in their calendar. The kind of event that gets the more hobby orientated players out of the woodwork and planning an army well in advance. The bigger scenes of course, don't have this issue, because they're already huge, and just have enough critical mass that there'll inevitably be more hobby orientated people there as well. 

Lastly, please don't bring a display board for the sake of having a display board. I've seen display boards where they just bought a Realm of Battle tile, plonked on a few pieces of terrain and their army and called it a day. Unless the scenery and board really stand out, it'll for the most part just look lazy. And ultimately, I feel that detracts more than it adds to the look of an army.

Display boards definitely aids you in competitions of best army when applicable at major or minor tournaments (that do have them). It may also be a thing someone wants to do to just display their army. 

My opinion is that there should be no restriction to when, who and what the display is. Some have amazing creative side, and others just don't, due to lack of practice usually. But in order for people to approve, they need to practice. So as for the previous note on not bringing displayboards that are not up to his standard, I say do, and do the best you can on it. I always like to see displays, whether they are just painted tiles or custom sculpted. :)

I quite enjoy seeing display boards providing they're not over the top.  For me, the clue is in the name - they're a "display board", i.e. a board for displaying your army.  I've seen display boards that are actually better painted than the army on top of them and ultimately they detract from the overall appearance of the display.  Sadly for me, I can't ever imagine me bringing a display board because I generally travel on public transport, so am very limited on what I can bring with me.

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I quite enjoy seeing display boards providing they're not over the top.  For me, the clue is in the name - they're a "display board", i.e. a board for displaying your army.  I've seen display boards that are actually better painted than the army on top of them and ultimately they detract from the overall appearance of the display.  Sadly for me, I can't ever imagine me bringing a display board because I generally travel on public transport, so am very limited on what I can bring with me.

I do think that a display mat could be a really cool future alternative to those who indeed cannot carry as much pieces with them.

One of the biggest advantages for this is that you could go truely nuts on artwork and use it as the "board"/stuff below your army :) . 

If youve put effort into painting an army and are proud of it, show it off!  Doesnt matter if its not better than the person next you, its still awesome to see people enjoying the hobby.

For me a board would be about displaying the army, but if you can turn it into an amazing diorama incorporating the models then amazing - id love to see it!

Even a basic tile well painted and matching your base theme can make looking at your army more enjoyable, such as this display from the GW armies on parade website.

https://armiesonparade.com/2016/10/14/armies-in-the-office-follow-up/

img_4030.jpg?w=1000&h=

Sadly for me, I can't ever imagine me bringing a display board because I generally travel on public transport, so am very limited on what I can bring with me.

Im the same, ive been thinking of doing it as 2 1'/2' boards joined to make a 2'/2'.  With the advantage that they could be displayed on a shelf separately when at home.  If thats too big 4 small square boards could work too and should fit in the cases with the figures.

I don't play AoS in a tournament setting, but have always found a mini display board helpful when I go to BB tourneys. Not only do they allow a cool little setting for the minis, but they serve as a tray when moving tables between rounds. So much easier than packing and unpacking minis out of storage all day....

orcla16.jpg

1 hour ago, Killax said:

I do think that a display mat could be a really cool future alternative to those who indeed cannot carry as much pieces with them.

One of the biggest advantages for this is that you could go truely nuts on artwork and use it as the "board"/stuff below your army :) . 

Funnily enough it did cross my mind.  Create a 3d board and then photograph it for a custom mat :)  Would also allow you to put your name/user on in a funky manner!

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Funnily enough it did cross my mind.  Create a 3d board and then photograph it for a custom mat :)  Would also allow you to put your name/user on in a funky manner!

Absolutely cool in my opinion. There are also certain magical effects that really are difficult to translate well onto 3d miniature board, such as smoke, correct light sourcing, thunder effects, fire and you name it really. It's certainly something I would look into as a practical finishing touch for an army. Since GW is making mats aswell I don't even think people would dislike it. One could even be recreated to fit the shape of the deployment zone so it's also practicle to use. 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:00 AM, Gobr said:

After reading the rules pack for Blood and Glory and listening to different podcasts it appears to me that display boards is a thing people do. I've never understood the point of them, and they have never really been done by anyone I know or been brought to events I've been to. Is it a UK thing? Or is it only backwater Sweden that's not doing display boards (not that I know how everyone in Sweden does things)? Have they always been around or is it something trending that will change into something else? 

For displaying your army, but also for easy moving between tables. It is part of the painting score in the USA and has been a standard here for years and years. less so in the UK because you guys actually have public transportation and people actually use it. Unlike in the majority of America.

Archived