A new Ironjawz player!

AaronWilson

Hey guys :D

I've been looking for something to paint for a loooong time and I've decided that Ironjawz are going to be my project. I am thinking of doing something pretty wild, with a dep blue armor highlighted up to ice blue ,and deep grey skin highlighted up to light grey / white. 

Anywaaay! I ordered my self a Megaboss to paint as it's a stunning model. Where do you guys think I should go from here? 

Congrats on your decision!!! Black Orcs were always my favorite boys and I'm thrilled they have their own army now. The Megaboss on foot is a powerhouse and obligatory in any Ironjaw army.  You made a great choice. Arguably the most powerful block unit in the army is the Brutes, they come 5 to a box and are also virtually obligatory. Amazing unit to play MSU or in large quantities. The start collecting box is cheap and will provide you with a warchanter, a unit of standard Ironjaw boyz (Ardboyz), and 3 gores.  Either of those options would be a great next purchase. Good luck!

Welcome to the Ironjawz!

I would recommend going with Brutes, for both model and game pruposes.  They are a solid unit that are very good at what they do, and they do well in any scale of game, and the models are a lot of fun to put together and paint.  Gore-gruntas are also solid and function as a mobile tarpit to tie up the enemy, and look really cool when painted up.  Ardboys work for an elite horde unit that can hold objectives and overwhelm the enemy with volume of attacks.

As for the heroes, you've got the Megaboss, who is a solid choice and stacks well with Brutes.  For gameplay, I would recommend a Warchanter or two, and grab a Wierdnob Shaman at some point.

If you are interested in collecting models for painting, then just grab whichever models you want and have fun!

3 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Sorry for another annoying question, but when I do get around to playing do I need both the new GHB and the Ironjawz Battletome? 

It's not annoying at all, so no worries :)

Technically, you don't "need" any of the books, as all of the rules are free off of GW's website and the Age of Sigmar App that you can get.  Each book has a bunch of extra cool stuff, but neither are required to play the game.  All you "need" are the rules and the units's Warscrolls.  As for why you would want to get those books you mentioned, well, there are plenty of reasons for that.

The Battletome has the Warscrolls as mentioned, plus a printed copy of the rules.  It also contains a bunch of fluff and story about the Ironjawz, and the army's Battalions that can be used to increase the strength of your army.

The General's Handbook does not have any Warscrolls  in it (except for one that got an update).  However, it has additional, modular rules that can be added into any kind of game of AoS that you might play.  Whether for tournaments, campaigns, or just taking your models into a battle, it has scenarios and army-wide rules that can be used to enhance your games.  Ironjawz in particular get some nice bonuses for the army in the form of Allegiance abilities and a couple new Battalions.

Budget pending, I would recommend both of these books for you.

1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

Great! Thanks again for the advice. Current plan is to paint my Megaboss as soon he arrives, I am very excited for that! 

I think from here I will pick up both books and then get some Brutes. Taken a look at the rules online, what is the "better" load out for a unit of brutes? 

You're welcome!  Good luck with the painting :)

As for the load out on the Brutes, you want to give each group of 5 their Gore-choppa, since it has the potential to do a lot of damage with good rolls.

For the regular Brutes in the squad, you would want the Two Choppas in smaller squads, with the Jagged Gore-hackas saved for large squads of 15 or more, since the greater range can help get more guys into melee range for more attacks.

For the Brute Bosses, I like the Klaw and Smasha.  Without buffs, the Boss Choppa is okay, but if you throw in a Warchanter's +1 To Hits and a Waaagh! from a Megaboss with extra attacks, the Klaw and Smasha really start to pull ahead in effectiveness.  That -2 Rend on the Smasha is juicy, and has literally won me game against models with nasty Save combos.  Plus, getting the auto-hits from Da Grab an' Bash is always fun :)

Hi @AaronWIlson,

Welcome to Ironjawz!! Great choice and I'm sure you're in for a lot of fun across all aspects of the hobby with this project.

Not too much for me to say here as the other guys have answered your questions nicely. You'll find this forum a very friendly place with lots of regular contributors who can offer (mostly!) decent advice.

Be sure to share your progress and I look forward to seeing your models!

Chris

I've been working on a 2500 point Horus Heresy era World Eater force for the last 5 months, so I'm desperate to paint something with something other then White, Blue and gold. I'm going to do the class Ork green skin, with a red armor (I don't really get to work with either of these colours normally and they're some of my favorite). As soon as the megaboss comes I'm starting work on hiM! 

Sounds good and I can't wait to see your mega boss.

Shopping list wise as people above have said brutes are amazing, gore gruntas great. Ardboys have there place basically we really don't have a weak option so just get the models you like.

I would suggest picking up a start collecting set and a Weirdnob warband. Between the two you would have a shaman, Warchanter,  gore gruntas and brutes and a few Ardboys to begin with.

I second twitcher on the boxes, both of ours are way better than the individual units and you buy them not the units.

The weirdnob warrant is about £8 more than the brutes and you get a shaman plus 5 ardboyz, the start collecting is also really close to the goregruntas and you get a warchanter+10 ardboyz with it.

Even if you just sell the hero separately you can hugely under cut Gw and basically get the ardboyz in each free. With the new massive unit rule for ardboyz having 30-60 spare lying around is really useful.

Archived