Shadespire Terrain

Runicmadhamster

I am a really big fan of 3d printed terrain, and make no secret of it.  A few months back, i was over at a friend placing, playing a game of Frostgrave on a board made entirely of 3d printed dungeon tiles. The board looked fantastic, and i took some photos.

Personally, i think the board would be a great fit for Shadespire. I loved Mordheim back in the day, the board i played the Frostgarve game on would have been great for Mordheim, as i feel it would be just as suited to Shadespire.

What are people's thoughts, would you like to play Shadespire on the board pictured?

20160519_192529.jpg

20160519_192605.jpg

20160519_192613.jpg

20160519_192628.jpg

20160519_203301.jpg

20160519_203334.jpg

I think a full board like that would be amazing to play on. It's always fun to play on cool tables/boards and it's one of the reasons I love going to Warhammer World to play games. Not sure how practical using a board like this would be as it seems in the Shadespire tidbits that the board is part of how you set your warband up, as I think there is a different sets of boards coming.

All the stuff pictured above is done by a company called printable scenery, who do a wide rage of stuff. I went to their site recently, plenty of stuff there that would in really well for Shadespire. I do agree on the point about how practical it is to play on such a board, but its fun do once every while, and memorable.

On a side note, printable scenery actually are on the last 4 days of their current Kick Starter, which features a Gothic cathedral wit the option to add dwarven or demonic architecture to the cathedral.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printablescenery/rampage-gothic-3d-printable-scenery-building-syste?ref=f09rqw

Last night, i went back to the same friend's house who owned the above pictured terrain. We played a board game called Massive Darkness, and though not strictly related to AoS, the board was fantastic. It was made up of 3d printed tiles that he used in stead of the cardboard ones that came with the game. I could easily see them being used in Shadespire , or a smaller scale narrative game of AoS.

20170914_191435.jpg

20170914_195415.jpg

20170914_195419.jpg

20170914_195957.jpg

I think that once someone figures out how to work past all the kinks of turning a board game 3d without causing problems with interacting with the board, it'll probably be the most awesome thing ever for Shadespire.

But there are definitely issues. It's kinda similar to Bloodbowl pitches in a sense, the interesting stuff always happens around the 'sidelines' in Bloodbowl, because you need to be able to move your figures around properly on the board itself.

Perhaps that is where a really cool Shadespire board will shine. Very subtle terrain effects on the playing area itself, but have the playing area built in the centre of something else. The way I see the Shadespire board is it's basically a 'room' that you're fighting in. So you can't build up much of a 3d effect inside the room, since there's an absence of walls and stuff, but you can around the room (Where the walls and stuff are). The 3d effects inside the room I think will need to be subtle, or at least pretty flat so you can actually place your models within the hexes properly without having to worry about them falling over.

These look fantastic for Warhammer Quest Hammerhal and for AoS Skirmish! The big thing for me would be knowing if tiles of 1.5" squares were available (rather than the standard 1") which is needed to accommodate for models on 32mm/40mm bases in Quest.

For Shadespire what would be cool would be laser cut/printed individual hexes which you could stack on top of each other to create daisies and platforms. This could give the board a 3D effect without disrupting gameplay.

• 4 weeks later...

Fun, for sure, but I wouldn't want to do it for a competitive game. That being said, this does make me want some hexagonal based scenery to place in the blocked tiles on the board. I'm super excited about that idea now, I just wonder what would fit... (I mostly play at a GW store so it'd have to be official merch)

Archived