Slaves - The Good, the bad, the ugly?

Major

One more question just came to my mind.  What paint scheme do you plan to use for your Slaves? I'm leaning heavily towards Fatesworn Warband, which would be blue tinted Tzeentch allegiance but I'll probably want a game or two with Khorne/Nurgle mark in the future so I'm afraid they would stand out from the sea of red/green minis.

Do you keep your Slaves to Darkness undivided and paint them black/silver/gold and just artificially give them a mark (in game) or do you go all in and invest in a specific color scheme to unify them with the rest of the army?

Personally I fell in love with Ogroid Thaumaturge and I'm envisioning an army of blue chaos knights behind him.

Pure eye candy :)

DSC_1099.JPG

I've amassed a good amount of Chaos in the last few of months. I've got 20 Knights, about 60 Chaos Warriors, three chariots most heroes and 80 or so Marauders along with a Warshrine. Fat blocks of undivided armoured Chaos warriors and Knights supported with chariots are how I've always viewed Chaos armies. However, they all go great with any of my Bloodbound heroes so I can still slip in 400-500 points of them for added buffs, so I just have to mark the units all while keeping that sweet StD allegiance.

Ok guys, I only use Fatesworn as there has been some talk of it in this thread so far and they are by-and-large all StD units. 

Here's a fun question for you guys:  Fatesworn vs Blades of Khorne, though there is room for plenty of variance in both these armies for all intents and purpose we'll say each army is built as YOUR idea of what the lists would include in the current competitive meta.  The only other criteria is that it the game is played as per rules for one of the 6 new battleplans.  Who wins and by what ratio?  e.g.  60/40 Fatesworn, 80/20 Khorne.

TzeVsKhn.png

14 hours ago, Samanar said:

One more question just came to my mind.  What paint scheme do you plan to use for your Slaves? I'm leaning heavily towards Fatesworn Warband, which would be blue tinted Tzeentch allegiance but I'll probably want a game or two with Khorne/Nurgle mark in the future so I'm afraid they would stand out from the sea of red/green minis.

Do you keep your Slaves to Darkness undivided and paint them black/silver/gold and just artificially give them a mark (in game) or do you go all in and invest in a specific color scheme to unify them with the rest of the army?

Personally I fell in love with Ogroid Thaumaturge and I'm envisioning an army of blue chaos knights behind him.

Pure eye candy :)

DSC_1099.JPG

Oh you found my old Knight of Tzeentch, glad you like it ? I must find time to complete that unit for sure. 

I will do most of my Slaves to Darkness in this Tzeentch theme , but I also have other units painted Khorne and Nurgle.

If you want to paint them undivided to change marks between games one alternative is to magnatise the standard bearers to have different marks and colors . So when changing marks you just change the standard, and it's easy to spot what mark the unit actually have.

How good is the sorcerer lord, 160 pts to let one unit reroll ones doesnt sound very worth it to me.

For 40pts more you can put him on a mount and he gets a better spell. Combine that with infusion arcanum and soulburn and paradoxical shield and he is effective at all ranges. Really good looking model as well

15 minutes ago, ThePie said:

How good is the sorcerer lord, 160 pts to let one unit reroll ones doesnt sound very worth it to me.

For 40pts more you can put him on a mount and he gets a better spell. Combine that with infusion arcanum and soulburn and paradoxical shield and he is effective at all ranges. Really good looking model as well

Always found the Sorceror Lord to be a solid choice. He's not just buffing one unit, he's buffing two. One with oracular visions (re-roll 1s to save) and another with Daemonic Power (reroll 1s to hit, wound & save)

11 hours ago, Johan Mars said:

Oh you found my old Knight of Tzeentch, glad you like it ? I must find time to complete that unit for sure. 

I will do most of my Slaves to Darkness in this Tzeentch theme , but I also have other units painted Khorne and Nurgle.

If you want to paint them undivided to change marks between games one alternative is to magnatise the standard bearers to have different marks and colors . So when changing marks you just change the standard, and it's easy to spot what mark the unit actually have.

Thank you for that - it's a great inspiration to me. I'd like to paint to that standard one day. This is probably not the place to ask but would you be willing to share some of the secrets behind your colour scheme? It looks almost too good, to the point where I can't see which technics did you use to get that tinted armor of Tzeentch. Maybe just a paint list if writing a tutorial would be too much for you.

Appreciate the tip about standard, I haven't thought about it and it seems simply brilliant and easy to pull off. Thanks and I'm waiting for the rest of your army :)

On 2017-09-14 at 10:21 AM, Samanar said:

Thank you for that - it's a great inspiration to me. I'd like to paint to that standard one day. This is probably not the place to ask but would you be willing to share some of the secrets behind your colour scheme? It looks almost too good, to the point where I can't see which technics did you use to get that tinted armor of Tzeentch. Maybe just a paint list if writing a tutorial would be too much for you.

Appreciate the tip about standard, I haven't thought about it and it seems simply brilliant and easy to pull off. Thanks and I'm waiting for the rest of your army :)

Of course! I actually saw a clip on WH TV which is pretty much the exact thing I did for the armor. You can check that out at: https://youtu.be/2CkdCVD-0lg The main difference is I did two or three (don't remember exactly) glazes with Guilliman Blue, I also did a glaze with waywatcher green on the bottom half of the armor panels, and one on the top of the model with Druchii Violet diluted with Lahmian Medium. Hope it helps!

I've been looking into a Fatesworn army as my next project after Brayherds, to make a Tzeentch army that will be quicker and cheaper to get off the ground (using the Start Collecting and Harbingers of Ruin boxes) and that can bridge the gap to an eventual Arcanite force (running Kairic Acolytes instead of Marauders).

Im trying to avoid a Warshrine, since I'm not a fan of the model, but I love the idea of loading up on melee-centric units like the Chaos Lord on foot and on Manticore.

It's confirmed that to take advantage of the multiples of 9 rule in matched play we need to deploy in units of 18, right?

I'm really considering Bullgor allies to bring in a bit of combat punch.  That's the one thing really lacking in the list.  The only thing in my collection of models with reasonable Rend or Damage is the Daemon Prince.  Otherwise I'm grasping for Chosen for -1 Rend, or a couple Heroes here and there.  So I'm looking at Bullgors with big Rend and big Damage (and decent movement) to punch some holes.

3 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

My Rotbringers usually include at least one Slaves unit. My personal favorites are masses of marauders, although I substitute in zombie models to represent those so blessed with the Mark of Nurgle.

That are awesome!!!

I have 40 Marauders of Nurgle, 10 old Chaos Knights, 20 Warriors, 20 putrid blightkings, one harbringer Of decay, bloab rotspawned and the glotkings waiting for the book :D. I love MORTALS of Chaos ^^.

And when I put the glotking spell on the Marauders with the harbrimger close as general.... I feel bad for my oponent xD. But I stopped of play them, because I win a lot of games with them (usually I dont play glotking, but with the new price I give it a chance again xd), but Is few booring, I want allegiance habilities!!!

And a lot of people dont like bloab, but they do arround 6-7 mortsl wounds if he get dmg, and they dont hit bad, with the new prices im going to put it as a monster/hero challenger. I refuse use it in the firststages but after play a bit games with it I feel it really useful to this task and more with the new prices xD

On 13/09/2017 at 11:32 PM, ThePie said:

Read his spell again and change your mind! re-roll to hit, wound AND save rolls of 1. . Throw that on some warriors or knights and they start getting  quite scary. You can put him on a mount for free too. 

On 9/14/2017 at 3:21 AM, Samanar said:

I had all of my knights painted for faction.... because of older editions. Instead of cutting/magnetizing the banners, (something I fully intend to do one of these days), I simply applied the mark of Archaon from his box set to all of the banners. This, in my story arch at least, ties them all together as scions of the Everchosen. No matter how they are painted.

This has never been an issue , as yet, because Irarely run more than 10 knights in a list and I've got 10 of each mark painted.:D

I've been extolling the virtues of marauders for a long time. 6" move, the stackable + 1s to hit, re-rolling 1s to hit, and now, with the new book, cheaper than ever. I can't seem to write a list where they don't show up in it. Cheap fast battleline troops. What's not to like?

1 hour ago, Tasman said:

I've been extolling the virtues of marauders for a long time. 6" move, the stackable + 1s to hit, re-rolling 1s to hit, and now, with the new book, cheaper than ever. I can't seem to write a list where they don't show up in it. Cheap fast battleline troops. What's not to like?

The painting.  I'm not looking forward to painting 40 of them . . . . 

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

The painting.  I'm not looking forward to painting 40 of them . . . . 

I feel you. Somehow, for me, painting all that flesh was hard. I have no problem with painting hordes of demons or big units of warriors.... luckily for me, I used to run big units back in the day. I've 120+ of those rascals painted up.

On to the next horde......

Archived